SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article Discussion

This is an article discussion thread for discussing the SitePoint article, "Build Table-less CSS Layouts with eZ publish"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What can someone who knows no programming do using ez publish. Is using css instead of tables the whole point?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    realestate: eZ publish is a Content Management System which enables you to run dynamic websites with simple administration. This articles shows how you can build a re-usable design for eZ publish using CSS and eZ publish packages.

You can read more about eZ publish at and it's possibilities at http://ez.no/ez_publish

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realestate - Bard has also written a series of great articles on installing and configuring eZ Publish that can be found here.

In general, eZ Publish takes some level of know-how to install and get running.

Customising the templates to a look and feel that suits you, requires basic HTML/CSS knowledge (which is what this article covers).

Using the system from then on takes no more that basic familiarity with the internet.

For the cost of only your time and effort, you can set up eZ Publish on your own computer to see it run.

You'll need to set up the environment (PHP/MySQL/Apache) that it requires to work. Install kits like XAMPP make this a relatively easy process. After that running it's just a matter of following the instructions.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article didn't seem to make it clear to me the reasoning behind this table-less coding. The only thing I could see that is possibly an advantage is slightly easier-looking code and the feeling that you are 'being different'.
    Is there something I'm missing?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ezPublish Demo Has Serious Flaws

FYI: I just thought I'd mention that your live ezPublish admin side demo (http://www.ez.no/ez_publish/demo) is spitting out some serious errors, and the admin and user sides both are very sluggish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Equinox I think that the benefits of table-less coding was assumed. You do bring up a good point though. It would have been nice to have a small paragraph overviewing the benefits and possibly a link. Checkout the W3C website for that answer.

I felt the article was very helpful. Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For information: there is a CSS Design Contest where you can win an Apple iPod by submitting a design like shown in this tutorial. You can read more about the competition on this page: no/company/news/ez_publish_design_contest

To see other examples of design packages using this technique you can look at this URL: http://ez.no/community/contribs/site_styles

Ajay
    SitePoint Community Guest
    hi, I want to know if i have web page then how can i put that page as a resuable site, i don't have site-color.css, and other .css file. i have only one css file. then how should i proceed

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think CSS has magical power. This artical has just proved it once again.