Thread: Best phone..

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best phone..

Currently torn between the following:

Nokia N82 (prefer it to the 95 because of form factor and better flash)
    Sony c902
    Samsung Soul

Anyone had one/more than one of these and in a position to give advice?

TIA,

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know... I've decided that if I buy a new phone in the near future it will be an iPhone....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the minute I am typing that the businessmen in some part of the world are inventing or adding some special thing to the mobile phone.It makes no sense to discuss which phone is the best because when we do that somewhere is better.
    + =

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my old phone. I am not in a rush to replace it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hands down iphone. better than blackberry. better than htc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a blackberry... I like it.

as far as the iphone is concerned... im pretty PO'd that the release in canada is BS. So damn expensive for the plan, and the phone is version 1 only for now, where as version 2 is out or coming out in the states..

BS Apple... FACK

NickBurd.Com

Check out my site, give me a shout
    and let me know what you think.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nokia. Period. I didn't have this particular model, but Nokia phones usually have everything you need, have a good battery life and are considerably cheaper than similar phones of other manufacturers.
    Saul

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    I don't know... I've decided that if I buy a new phone in the near future it will be an iPhone....
    Now this is a perfect example of what a good marketing does, sorry to say that. You have decided that once you buy a phone it will be the best of the best, the king of kings, the phone of phones, lo and behold.. the iPhone. But it's not, the only thing it's got is the funky interface whose accessibility and user-friendliness are debatable. All other specs you may surprisingly find lesser than your average high class phone (even though the new 3G version looks a little better). But once it's got all this hype around, what the heck, it must be the best.

And my point is, it's not the one phone you must have, it only has a good campaign. So when you buy a phone, think twice, you may regret otherwise.
    Saul

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, no phone has ever beaten ones from HTC.

http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=49518

It's stylish and VERY functional.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I should have explained further. Having hunted for a long time, these three phones come closest to the feature set I desire. I have looked at the iPhone, and frankly the camera is pitiful. Camera is a huge part of the decision, and it is one that needs to be made imminently - meaning that waiting around for other features is irrelevant (the c905 looks like it would be the hands down winner if it was coming out now).

So what I'm hoping is that someone will have experience with one or more of these three phones.

Thanks for responses so far, but I am hoping for real world experience rather than (as has been mentioned) a pointless debate as to the "best phone" in existence.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    All other specs you may surprisingly find lesser than your average high class phone (even though the new 3G version looks a little better). But once it's got all this hype around, what the heck, it must be the best.
    Or, you know, it could *actually* be the best. When you get down to it, you're on the right track: throw all the features away, throw all the UI away, throw everything away, and take a look at the only statistic that matters: do people like it? Does it make your life better, does it make your interactions with your phone more pleasant? The answer is a resounding yes. I happen to think that WebKit is by far the best browser on the mobile market, that AppStore is going to be extremely hard to come close to challenging, and that the design of the hardware and software is fantastic, but really it's the overall experience that counts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH View Post
    Thanks for responses so far, but I am hoping for real world experience rather than (as has been mentioned) a pointless debate as to the "best phone" in existence.
    Admittedly, you did title this thread explicitly as "Best phone..". We just can't win, can we?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol View Post
    Admittedly, you did title this thread explicitly as "Best phone..". We just can't win, can we?
    Indeed, hence the clarification. I was rather hoping that people would respond to the post, not the title

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, hence the clarification. I was rather hoping that people would respond to the post, not the title
    What's the point of a forum without everyone coming in with their own bone to pick based solely on the title without bothering to read the post body?

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    960 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    How else would one person have the power to singlehandedly waste the time of hundreds of thousands of others all over the world?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I happen to think that WebKit is by far the best browser on the mobile market
    Then you haven't tried Opera.

I understand that you don't want reviews of other phones, but seriously give HTC a look.

Most people that I know who deal alot with both business and social life find HTC useful. As the phones are run by windows, you know it's a reliable technology which is very compatible and connected - my phone has high-speed bluetooth, WiFi and mobile broadband (Orange, dolphin - unlimited texts, 600 minutes (hours counted as minutes to chosen contacts) and 20mb/month downloads on phone - £40/month).
    My current phone is the S620, but I'm looking to upgrade soon to the touch pro or the TyTN II.

I have all the emails I've recieved since 2005 backed up on my mobile, all the texts since I bought the phone (last may) on my laptop. If I need to look up train times or cinema times, I just open opera.
    The keyboard is qwerty, with the numbers on w,e,r,s,d,f,x,c,v and tab which is left of space. It can use any music file you put on it as the alarm, ringtone, message tone etc - all transfered either by the MicroSD card (2gb on a card the same size as my thumbnail in height and depth, smaller in width) or the USB lead.

The camera isn't amazing, but that's changed in the newer models. It still takes decent quality, but not fantastic.

It can have a wide variety of applications, alot are free. MSN, for example - in fact you can have the whole windows live suite on your mobile for free. There's office - it reads and writes word, excel and powerpoint - and can read PDFs.

You can use google maps on your mobile, the whole Yahoo mobile application suite. Java applications.

What can I say, I'm a HTC evangalist!
    Jake Arkinstall

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers arkinstall. Have actually pointed a very excited girlfriend in the direction of the HTC Diamond as a result. It does look very nice indeed (except the camera, which is not great...but then neither is the iPhone's).

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    Now this is a perfect example of what a good marketing does, sorry to say that. You have decided that once you buy a phone it will be the best of the best, the king of kings, the phone of phones, lo and behold.. the iPhone. But it's not, the only thing it's got is the funky interface whose accessibility and user-friendliness are debatable. All other specs you may surprisingly find lesser than your average high class phone (even though the new 3G version looks a little better). But once it's got all this hype around, what the heck, it must be the best.

And my point is, it's not the one phone you must have, it only has a good campaign. So when you buy a phone, think twice, you may regret otherwise.
    Calm down, PHP. I am not going to go running to get it... it is going to take a few months, not to say years, for me to buy a new phone. My old one works perfectly and serves me well.

But iPhone has 16GB of HHD, plus it is more than just a phone, and you can install many software that other phones can't have. It is a real mini-office.

Someone mentioned that the camera is not that good... but since I don't do pictures, I couldn't care less.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    But iPhone has 16GB of HHD, plus it is more than just a phone, and you can install many software that other phones can't have. It is a real mini-office.
    So is my Nokia, so is every smartphone. Although I've only 2GB card, but no-one stops me from plugging in 16GB or bigger (once such is available). iPhone on the other hand, doesn't even have storage expansion option, afaik. So do your judgement.

I dunno, I don't mean to sound overly negative for no reason, it's not a bad phone at all. But the more I look at it, the more limiting I find it, there is really a ton of way better phones. iPhone is definitely not worth the hype. Again, hats off to Apple's remarkable marketing campaign, can only learn from that.
    Saul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i would say my phone would be also be the best (k800i) because of the expandable memory, pretty nice camera and its 3g and internet ready...i cant say i dont like iphone but i think iphone is just another ordinary phone just made by Apple.
    sig space open...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTC phones are more than just an office.

In fact, the HTC Pro is more connected, higher spec (apart from HDD, but you can now get 16gb MicroSD cards the size of a fingernail, which work faster than disk drives), more stylish (IMO) and has a decent keyboard. Ontop of that, it can do practically anything a PC can do, but you can use it anywhere. Oh, and you can install whatever application you want on there, which AFAIK you cannot do with the iPhone.
    Jake Arkinstall

SitePoint Addict chestertondevelopment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nokia N82 (prefer it to the 95 because of form factor and better flash)
    I'm glad to see you're not going with the N95, I've had it for around a year now (got it when it first came out) and I really don't like it.

The Wifi is flakey at best, I haven't been able to connect to my home network once despite multiple calls to customer support and obviously being a techy guy.

The camera, although great quality, is ridiculously slow when shooting at 5 megapixels, literally a 3-4 second delay from the shutter to saving where you have to hold the camera still.

Poor onboard memory, I've got a 2gb card but the memory for such an advanced phone is awful.

And it's extremely slow, I don't like the Symbian 60 OS, it's very slow and feels almost middle aged compared to the iPhone.

I think some of the problems have been fixed with the release of the 8gb version but it's just me $0.02.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camera is a huge part of the decision, and it is one that needs to be made imminently
    Are you buying a camera or a phone? If you want a good camera, buy a camera.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My iPhone knowledge is based on two people. My son has an iTouch, which has many of the iPhone features. To me it's an amazing tool from what I see of it and my son is thrilled with it.

The second is the dean at my other son's college. He is always using it and wouldn't use anything else.

fwiw.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    Are you buying a camera or a phone? If you want a good camera, buy a camera.
    Fair point, and indeed I am in the market for a decent digital SLR (currently have access to gf's EOS 400D), but also a new phone - and I like the fact that I'd have a pretty decent camera around all the time.

@Stardust, thanks for the info - bugger, I hope the N82 camera doesn't suffer the same sort of lag, it's now on its way.