SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check cross browser compatibility

How do you check your cross browser compatibility for css?

I had designing a site for a client and just prior to making it live they said there was a problem with repeating header all the way down the screen.

They are running AOL/Windows XP on a laptop - which should be IE6

I have tested on my computer for firefox/ie6&7 and can't replicate the problem.

I have managed to use browsershots dot org which shows the problem for IE6/windows 2000, but it does not refresh when I make changes to the stylesheet, so I am working blind.

Any ideas?

This site has to go live Monday morning to comply with grant funding application. I may explode by then

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bluedogatdingdon, and welcome to SitePoint!

What I do is test in IE 6/7, Firefox 2 (or Netscape 9), Firefox 3, Opera, and Safari incrementally as I go along. I don't build the whole site in one browser, then test in the others when I'm done and apply hacks as needed; instead I start with the HTML framework, make sure the code validates, and then start adding layers of CSS, beginning with a custom reset. I'll apply the code for the header, check in the browsers, correct as needed, then move on to the search form (if present) and menu, check again (and correct as necessary), then move on to the content, sidebars, and footers, while testing and checking each step along the way.

I also check to make sure the site works without images and/or JavaScript enabled (separately and together), while also checking the contrast and ability to resize text as needed. If there's an HTML, CSS or JavaScript error, I clean it up leaving nothing to chance. The user may have the ultimate control, but I'll be darned if the browsers are going to do anything other than what I (or the user) say, goshdarn it!

It'll take some time, but with a bit of effort, you can literally come to code layouts that don't need hacks (unless it's to cover a shortcoming, such as lack of :hover support in IE 5/6, or :focus in IE 5/6/7 for example) at all, and will even work back to IE 5.5 and 5.01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Sitepoint
    Would you be willing to provide Us with a Link to the website? This way we can observe your Problem that your having with the repeating Header.These links will tell you how to check for cross browser compatibility.

http://www.thesitewizard.com/webdesi...browsers.shtml

http://www.onyx-design.net/weblog2/o...le-in-5-steps/
    Blake Tallos - Software Engineer for Sanctuary
    Software Studio, Inc. C# - Fanatic!
    http://www.sancsoft.com/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a new member I wasn't allowed to put in a url so I'll have to break it up
    cornwallnature dot org dot uk/temp_sustrust/building dot html

I require a sure-fire way of testing. Is there any (free/reasonably priced) reliable software out there which I can use. Its not practical to have lots of different computers.

I used to use Total Validator, but since I upgraded a few days ago the browsershots option dons't seem to work properly.

Thanks for any help

Cheers
    J

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What operating system (and version) are you currently using?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If worse comes to worse try this:
    overflow: hidden;
    zoom: 1;