SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Background images in HTML Email

I am having great frustration in getting any background images to work within an html email. I have stripped the body and head tags and have used css sparingly and embedded it at the top of the code. All of that works fine but when I try to use an inline background image, it just does not show. Not in Outlook 2007 and not in my yahoo email account.

I have read where you should not use it becuase of incompatability but i would like to use it where I can and just have a background color show up where the image will not. But I cam not even able to get the image to show up. I figured Outlook 2007 would show it at least. can someone lend some advice or experience on this topic please.

web version of the email is here

many thanks,
    Houston
    Houston Brown
    Split Light Designs
    Bringing your ideas to light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Background images will not work, in any respect, in Outlook 2007. Forget about it. It won't happen. If you're happy with just a background color, Outlook 2007 will do this... on some elements, not on others. Background colours will work on things like table cells, but not on things like divs.

In Yahoo, you can get background images to show up if you use the HTML background tag, instead of CSS (ie. <td background="foo.gif">). For maximum compatibility, you need to specify both (ie. <td background="foo.gif" style="background: foo.gif">), which will work in all clients except Outlook 2007.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karpie,

Thank you for the info. As I get more and more into doing html emails I am finding myself very suprised at how behind the times they are. It is like stepping back several years when we used tables to layout a web page. A bit archaic.

Thanks,
    Houston
    Houston Brown
    Split Light Designs

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a post at Campaign Monitor's blog about stumbling upon a solution for a BODY background image in Outlook 2007. This won't work on any other element, but it seems that got the BODY figured out:

Check out the blog at Campaign Monitor dot com - i can't post a link here yet .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent source GJHead, thank you.
    Houston Brown
    Split Light Designs