User Tag List

Thread: Newbie on Flash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie on Flash

Hi

I'm just curious. If Flash can build cool, interactive and solid website, then why would others just learn how to use Flash instead of learning HTML, CSS, PHP, mysql, etc ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because Flash isn't a server side scripting language like PHP, ASP or any other server side scripting language?
    Because you need a server side scripting language to develop a dynamic website, even if the website is completely written in Flash & ActionScript or HTML, CSS & JS?
    Because Flash isn't an RDBMS and has no capabilities to store data in a database, or even connect directly to a database?
    Because you can't even compare Flash with any server side scripting language or any database management system?
    Because you cannot change appearances of a Flash website by easily modifying a stylesheet, like you can with CSS?
    Because Flash doesn't allow you to separate content from layout or design?
    Because HTML is a standard generalized markup language, unlike Flash?
    Because Flash lacks accessibility?
    Because Flash can't be indexed like HTML websites? (some search robots can, but partially)
    Because you need to have Flash Player installed?
    Because Flash can't be ported easily to newer devices, like for example, a new pretty mobile phone with a new kind of operating system where Adobe has no intention to support, but has a browser installed that can understand HTML, CSS and JS?

But... on the other hand:
    Flash is a good tool for multimedia rich websites, interactive online games, animations, ... Where HTML is best suited for content rich websites, e.g. more textual information.

You can't compare Flash to anything but Silverlight, in my opinion...
    FOR SALE: 1 set of morals, never used, will sell cheap

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Others could ask the opposite, "since you can build cool, interactive and solid websites using HTML/CSS, Javascript, PHP, MySQL... why would you want to learn Flash?"

All of those languages can be used in conjunction with Flash (to make cool, interactive and solid websites) some would argue Flash's ability to do that job effectively at all on it's own, others will disagree. Plus you need some HTML in order to embed the Flash on the webpage.

I started with Flash (before I knew anything about HTML/CSS any other language or the web for that matter). One day I realized that Flash was all I knew, I felt kinda helpless and bored, so I figured I should start learning about them too. I am really, really, really glad I did now.

Why does it always seem that people want to divide it into seperate groups? Flash or HTML why not both? (if the job calls for it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe continues to improve Flash with each version. In the future, they may turn over the technology to a standards body like they did with PDF. For now though, Flash is primarily used to enhance a web page rather than build an entire website. Flash video, for example, is the most widely supported video format among web users, and Flash animations can be used to create interactive elements that are much more difficult to produce with other technologies.

The constraints of Flash are more similar to print media than those of HTML/CSS. Therefore, many designers moving from print feel more comfortable designing in Flash than using HTML/CSS to create websites. Those trained in HTML/CSS however, generally frown upon using Flash as a technology for building entire interfaces.

Personally, I prefer open standards, and Flash often causes problems on my Linux box, like hiding drop down menus above it. Therefore, I'd like to see less Flash on the web, but I don't think the technology is inherently flawed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So both of them are equal important in a sense? But Why I see flash people gets pay more than html/css, people ?