SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and that is why they are constantly being improved. There are a number of Captcha cracking scripts available on the Internet. No method is fail safe, however Captcha are a much better alternative that a standard image that doesn't update.
    Rexibit Web Services
    Don't just build it - CSS it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCary View Post
    I have used the Dynamic Drive Email Riddler on my sites for quite some time with good results... http://www.dynamicdrive.com/emailriddler/

Anyone have comments on using that method?

-Josh
    This script is the best. I have my email address on a number of well-spidered sites and have yet to receive 1 spam email. The best!
    New Jerseyans: Beat your traffic ticket!
    http://www.njtrafficfines.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get 10 million hits per day, and many of these are robots. We used to have email addresses out in the open.

Unfortunately the robots weren't so dumb. They were able to scrap stuff like email [at] something dot com.

We then upgraded to a form, although instead of using a Captcha, we needed the user to put in something like What is 4+5= ? for the verification. Surprisingly we had robots that broke that as well!

So we then upgraded to a contact form with medium difficulty CAPTCHAs, no problem since. Although, there are robots that even break that. Take a look at this site:

http://libcaca.zoy.org/wiki/PWNtcha

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use http://xinbox.com/ to protect my email address from spam when posting it publicly. It createst a safe form and I never have spam problems.

Example: http://xinbox.com/support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually I use this simple obfuscation function:
    http://trac.kohanaphp.com/browser/tr...?rev=3326#L141

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its simple solution is...
    Print your email as Image not text. Its better that using good old user[AT]domain[DOT]com

all you need it GD extension or image Magick on your server. if you dont want to code, you can use my TextToImage class : http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/2349.html

Quote Originally Posted by JaymeNYC View Post
    I would like to put my email on my website, but I know I can recieve spam because of putting it on my page. What would be the best way to display my email on my site so I won't get spammed?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what has worked best for me is a Contact Form with a captcha, to try to stop bots from submitting and getting the email in the form response

everything else I have tried (images, javascript) has eventually resulted in receiving spam

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could do it the way we did at allsearchmall.com/contact.php also at marketplace.sitepoint.com/auctions/42992

Take a look, we not only used an image, but told folks to enter a certain code in the subject bar of their email message, plus we put diagonal lines through the type image to throw off any optical character image scanning. So far no SPAM.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonK View Post
    Screw the spammers, what about your users?? Are you going to have a professional website where your contact e-mail is "help[remove_this] at sitepoint dot com"?? Not only does that look amateur, but it's a pain in the *** for a customer.
    My sentiments exactly! I think the best alternative to your dilemma is for you to use a contact form.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If having users contact you is more important to you than having a spam-free inbox then that is where your priorities should lie. Do you need people to be able to contact you in order to continue running your site/business? Then spam is a side issue which you can deal with separately, and you should make it as easy as possible for your users to contact you.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest against using the [at] method. It is so common and standard, that it can more or less easily recognized by harvester bots by now and is more or less a nuisances to real people (not everyone is tech savvy enough to understand the obfuscation). Personally, I deal with the problem by having a CAPTCHA protected contact form prominently placed in the website header, which most people seem to prefer as a method of contacting me. Since German law forces me to put a contact mail in my imprint, my public address simply is webmaster@ for the simple reason, that this address is required by an RFC and spammers guess certain mailboxes for domains anyway. Another alternative is to create an alias emailaddress which is only used for public display and gets disabled, if SPAM comes in in large volumes.

SitePoint Zealot OrangeCreative's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the need for having users contact me is of paramount importance and therefore spam is a side issue.

It depends what your business is and what priority you give to user friendliness. For me spam is a secondary issue.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A broken way to do it is to put an image instead of the text but that rules out blind people using your website

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But not everybody likes to use contact forms - some people like to know who they are emailing (maybe they want to put a 'read receipt' on it), and some people like to have a copy of the message in their Sent Items as a record of what they have sent. And then you have the problem (or at least I do, on my website) that some people fill in their email address incorrectly so I have no way of replying to them.
    As a typical internet user I hate contact forms for all the reasons outlined above. Numerous times I have a contacted a company through a web form only to get no response. It leaves me feeling like I am not important to them as a customer and that using their form again would be a waste of my time. Did I fill my email address out wrong? Was their form busted.... did it just bounce back because that account is no longer being used?

I really prefer to see the email address that I am sending to.

I display email addresses out in the wild. Ultimately on the site I manage daily here at work, the decision isin't solely mine. I outlined the pro's and con's for Sr. Management, and they didn't care... email addresses have to be displayed on the site. And yes, a good spam filter on your exchange server is a must.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you guys think of using a Flash button? That is what I did years ago when my site was active. Don't know how it would fair now with how the internet has advanced.
    "Entrepreneurshp is the last refuge
    of the trouble-making individual"

--James K. Glassman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to create an image that looks like this: admin [at] domain [dot] com. This way you are covered completely.
    Last edited by Promotif; Aug 21, 2008 at 06:22.
    List your business here.
    http://www.business-directory.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electroskan.com View Post
    I think a contact form best serves the purpose.
    I find my contact forms just get autofilled by bots..
    Local Mortgage Directory - www.attheboard.com
    Keyword research tools

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idea: blank anchor, send email button, js fires a server request, adds href attribute to the anchor with mailto:[response] and fires the onclick, that way you have nothing in the markup that is "scrapeable". Of course the problem with that is it relies on a user action and they can't copy/paste the address until their e-mail client has launched. Another option could be sIFR, but at the end of the day any text on a screen is parseable one way or another.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    HTML_Crypt is a PEAR package that I've used for years to encrypt e-mail addresses for clients. It's a PHP script which generates JavaScript which can display the e-mail address or text or image but a click opens the visitors' e-mail client with the To and Subject fields already filled in. I've had a page at my website for years to allow others to use it to generate a script at http://datakoncepts.com/DKcrypto.

On the other hand, Felgall's earlier comment about anyone merely clicking on your (JavaScript) link WILL see the actual e-mail address and can harvest from that but that's about the last thing mailbots will be able to develop.

IMHO, contact forms are too impersonal and get filled with garbage too easily, [at] and the like are just too trivial to give any consideration to and, as a webmaster needs to make it as easy for site visitors and hard for 'bots at the same time, HTML_Crypt is a good solution.

The only effective solution is to SHOOT spammers but that's not (yet) socially acceptable.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Member bloggeroftheweb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using the [at] will prevent autobots to detect the email address presence from my knowledge.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    botw,

In regex (how else would they be found?), it's (@|[at]). Since it's that simple, how would you even begin to think that?

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez, how many times have we had this conversation?

Do a search for this. There were two really good threads from 2007 about this issue. Lots of useful info there.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonK View Post
    Screw the spammers, what about your users?? Are you going to have a professional website where your contact e-mail is "help[remove_this] at sitepoint dot com"?? Not only does that look amateur, but it's a pain in the *** for a customer. If you inject something odd in to your e-mail address and make it into a mailto: link, it sucks trying to make changes in your e-mail program like Outlook, and I guarantee that would become a point of failure. If you don't link it, it's possible to get overlooked and leave your customer scratching their head. You should make it as easy as possible for your users to e-mail you, and never make them jump through hoops. If you have a spam problem, install some anti-spam software (Spam Guardian is server side and works great!)
    Absolutely agreed 100%!

People expect contact forms and email to "just work". They shouldn't have to jump through hoops, and anything that means they have to do that is (a) unprofessional, (b) going to prevent some people from successfully communicating with you - they may try and fail, or they may not even bother trying, because it looks complicated.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with this one!