SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I prevent design theft?

Hi! Is there any way of preventing people from stealing your designs you put on your online portfolio? I ask 'cause I have a few designs, and I don't want someone to go to my site and just ripoff my designs. Yea, I know this is sounding newbie-ish...but it has being bugging me for a while.

I really need to put my designs up...because potential employers have asked me to put some up...but the thing is, I think these companies(or at least one of them) is just trying to steal my designs. Maybe it's just paranoia ...can you guys help out?

Thanks

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can put a faded watermark over your images or upload JPG images with high compression factor. But there's no way to protect your design ideas to be stolen...
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    You can put a faded watermark over your images or upload JPG images with high compression factor. But there's no way to protect your design ideas to be stolen...
    Wow that was fast! Thanks for the advice...I think I'll try watermarking them. But, what do you mean by "images with high compression factor"?

Thanks
    My Online Portfolio:http://www.niyisodipe.co.cc/

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    JPG format compression algorithm is a lossy one (unlike PNG's) so the more compressed the image, the lower its quality will be, making it almost useless when it comes to re-using it for web design purposes for example.

And welcome to the forums
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help! I' m creating a watermarking in photoshop right now.
    Thanks again!
    My Online Portfolio:http://www.niyisodipe.co.cc/

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also another thing you need to consider: designs will always be stolen or they will influence other designers subliminally. You just can not prevent that from happening. I personally do not watermark my images, I find that unpleasant, even a very dim one. I have resigned myself to the fact that that happens and just start designing fresh things. It does not mean that I like it, but that is the reality of the moral state in this world.

For images shown on a site I compress as much as possible, so when some person tries to take it down the pixels bunch and more loss occurs after another saving that they would have to do. As Varelse says: they become useless.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can apply your designs for intellectual property rights, this will be the protected by the law, anybody who stole should be punished . In addition, you must be careful with online transactions , do not rely on others, you can find a more reliable trading platform, of course, you can also have a face-to-face transactions, this is the most safe.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you compress an image for the fastest loading time there won't be much usefull to steal. And when you publish something it will be copyrighted immediately. So when somebody steal your design you might take legal actions if it becomes really disturbing. But you should mail that person first to tell them that they must delete all the stolen graphics before you do this and that.
    Become a certified SEO Professional at Search Engine College
    Leer Internet Marketing | Premium Wordpress Themes