SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get flash to play video (was "Ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh......! Help........!@$%^%")

Thanks for responding to this outcry for help.

Hi, I am new to flash.

In the last few days, I have been playing aroung with Flash CS3 and it's very steep for me, though I must admit, it's exciting.

At the moment, I'm working on a project with a couple of friends and i have been rigged with the task of sorting out a website.

here's what I'm trying to do.

very simple it may seem to you, but, am tearing ma hair out.

I am trying to embed a number of videos within flash to publish on website. I have followed a number of tutorials to the letter, but it seems, I cannot get the file to play the video.

here's the actionscript code example I implemented within an independent action timeline.

var nc:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
    nc.connect(null);

var ns:NetStream = new Netstream(nc);

theVideo.attachVideo(ns);

ns.play("cgvideo1.flv");

Here's the tutorial : Video Encoding Basics @ gotoandlearn.com/player.php?id=1[/url]

Please help.! thanks in advaaaaaaa'ggggrhhhh'ce.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You haven't followed the tutorial to the letter, or else it would be working fine..
    You have a named video instance on the stage as per the tutorial? ("theVideo")
    You have an flv file called "cgvideo1.flv" in the same directory as the swf?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

You haven't followed the tutorial to the letter, or else it would be working fine..

Thank you sir, for pointing out my lack of attention to detail.

Having admitted this, perhaps you could lend me a hand in fixing this 'tiny' problem.

I believe I have followed the tutorial thoroughly, but i must have missed something.
    I'd like to start of by stating that, I am working on a mac with Flash CS3.

Q1. Does this affect the way I should code??? (Should I use actionscript 2 or 3???
    Q2. I believe I have named the video instance ("thevideo"), yes!. should it be something else???
    Q3.I also saved all the files I'm working with in the same directory, even the original movie file. Here, i have, .fla, .flv, .swf.

STILL NOTHING

Ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh......! Help........!@$%^%

I hope I dont fail at this, however, time is not on my side, so I am willing to pay a token for some 121 help. Any1??? PLEASE....!!!!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewebdev2005 View Post
    Thanx dude,

A kick up da backside got we wrenching even more. Nevertheless, I wasn't going to give it up.

I finally got it to work. However, I promise, I dint do anything different. Just copied the code over to a new document and brava.

Thanks for even bothering to respond.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .:To me AS is like LEGO, Only for the big Kids :.
    - Site - Blog - Glasgow Flasher
    bringmadeleinehome.com