SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which do you prefer, many subscribers or commenters?

Subscribers are loyal readers and be considered as the heart of our audience capability. This means that you can make valuable posts for them consistently and you are enjoying your blogging stability.

On the other hand, commenters are also your readers who you have convinced to share their ideas, suggestions, praises and even contradictions to your posts. It also means that you are sociable enough to have good communication with them.

If I have to choose only one of them, I would choose my commenters over my subscribers and here the reasons why.

1.0 Commenters are opening my blog which has a great potential of visiting my ads too.

2.0 Commenters are actually reading my posts and interested in talking to me.

3.0 I am also learning a lot of from them and sometimes visit their blogs too.

The only disadvantage I see is that you have to spend time reading them and more or less, leave a reply. It can be time consuming if you are having tons of them for every post.

So assuming that your subscriber counter is accurate and your commenters are posting valuable comments, which do you prefer to have many of them and why?

Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast indigobean2003's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to say, to me commenters hold value in that they enrich the content of the blog and they add to the social networking feel.
    Finally I would have to go with the subscribers, just for their loyalty.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I write just to vent the technological stuff that's on my mind so neither are all that important to me, although I love to talk about those kind of things so comments are easily the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you. Commentors are more important!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for agreeing with me guys. Just to add something, your commenter can also be your subscribers later on but keep on leaving comments as they are usually doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all Subscribers are loyal readers, I think the percentage is very less, most of them are either competitor or scanners those scan information. As said, the value of commenter are much more than subscribers.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vote for commenters,
    who are content creator.

Mattcch2007
    matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by micfo.com View Post
    Not all Subscribers are loyal readers, I think the percentage is very less, most of them are either competitor or scanners those scan information. As said, the value of commenter are much more than subscribers.
    Well, I did not realize that. Good point is what you shared. I will consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by mattcch2007 View Post
    Vote for commenters,
    who are content creator.
    I think the votes now are 5-1 and for subscribers are eating some dust back behind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I don't have comments enabled on my blogs, and I don't even have subscribers, I'd have to go with commenters also. At least, the commenters who leave non-spam, non-inane comments. Too much of that can hurt one's blog. But that goes without saying.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

SitePoint Enthusiast WickedGoddess's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for commentors because they can give you broad ideas and techniques you didn't know, then next would be the subscribers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An extra commenter adds content and obviously thoroughly read your post, but subscribers will presumably come back, so I'm not sure which is better. They both have their advantages and it would depend how many of those commenters actually return to your blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Quality Commentators!

SitePoint Zealot theawristocrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either cause its still the same. Many subcribers means your blog is helpful/fun thats why they keep coming back. Many commenters means your blog post are interesting thats why they post their views.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessiejames27 View Post
    I prefer Quality Commentators!
    I was wondering, can we check if our subscribers are of a good quality?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like subscribers and both commentors equally as long as the commentors are not spamming my blog with their link back .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    subscribers and comments are the lifeblood of your blog, without them your blog can’t grow so both are important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that commenters hold a +1 on subscribers because they are readers and they add value to the site.
    Smoke Lounge | Hookah Store and Community
    Shisha Tobacco
    SitePoint Users get 5% off use promo code s1t35p

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    commentar is better subcrider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
    I like subscribers and both commentors equally as long as the commentors are not spamming my blog with their link back .
    The good thing about handling commenters is we can moderate them. I choose only the quality ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    The good thing about handling commenters is we can moderate them. I choose only the quality ones.
    I agree. I moderate all incoming comments. To many people trying to get their links on your site simply using automated responses with links. I simply delete them and do not look back. Frustrating though when you see them over and over again though no matter what you do.

As for the question I like quality comments and subscribers as well. I also like seeing bookmarked links on my incoming stats each day. This means I am really doing my job well if they are keeping me bookmarked and coming back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your subscribers to make a comment on your post, you need to write something that the subscribers feel they can add more into it through conversation. If the subscribers agree with what you wrote, they are less likely to comment on your post.

If you want your feed readers to say something you need to engage them in a conversation like "so what is your opinion on this matter?" or "please share your experience on this matter"

Not all feed readers will join a conversation. As a subscriber of more that 30 blogs myself, it is impossible for me to reply to all posts, I only occasionally reply to the ones that either has something that I can add to or disagree strongly about it.

Techcrunch has 860,000+ feed readers. imagine all of them reply to every single posts. That will never happen. if you look their site you will see that they average about 20-40 comments per post and in some occasions comments goes up to 100-200. That's a very small number of comments when you have more than half a million feed readers.

Feed readers add value to your blog, because it means there are good number of people who likes what you write. Whether they comment to your posts only depends on you as a writer.

Just my take on the matter.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for me, commenting is showing interest in a single post; while subscribing shows interest i a whole blog (although sometimes its start in a single post!)

For me, subscriber is better than commentor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more subscribers, the more commenter you will have. Commenters are more important for sure.
    WPlancer.Com - PHP & WordPress Developer
    ProverbHunter - English Proverbs Explained

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fr@nc!z View Post
    As for me, commenting is showing interest in a single post; while subscribing shows interest i a whole blog (although sometimes its start in a single post!)

For me, subscriber is better than commentor.
    But note that subscribers cannot see our ads in general. I think subscribers will be better if we can convince them to open our blogs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google is rolling out ad service for feeds very soon. You can still sell ads on feed in the form of text links, if you can find buyers. some bloggers do that.