SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to create javacsript like tabs with php?

Hi all

I've got to the point we're I need to create some type of tabbing on one of my pages and was wondering is it possible to create this with php? Instead of javascripts jQuery?

Feedback or any links/examples would be great. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is not an alternative to JavaScript... It's a completely different thing. JavaScript would allow the user to change tabs without refreshing the page.

You could do this in PHP, possibly by passing parameters through the query string:

e.g. ?tab=2

I'm not totally sure what you mean though...
    PHP is a server-side technology <-> JavaScript is Client-side.
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it with PHP and css pretty easily but you will need the whole page to reload. If you use JS only the content of the tab will be reloaded.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes thanks guys! I see... I forgot about the reload issue but I suppose I could add a simple anchor tag to position back.

I'm not totally sure what you mean though...
    PHP is a server-side technology <-> JavaScript is Client-side.
    Yes I've been looking at the javascript examples but can't seem to get my head around them, just feel a lot more comfortable using php, I understand the server-side / Client-side issue..

but I think "JavaScript would allow the user to change tabs without refreshing the page." would be better.. just seen your name Jimmy - jQuery WIZARD!

You can do it with PHP and css pretty easily but you will need the whole page to reload. If you use JS only the content of the tab will be reloaded.
    Thanks I'll try the php way I think (or have you got any simple examples Jimmy / links for the jquery tabbing?), So what would a basic syntax look like for php tabbing?

thanks guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you don't make tabs with php. you make tabs with html that you output with php.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you already have a jQuery setup, install the Web Developer toolbar for Firefox. Then go to your page with the jQuery generated tabs, and from WDT go to View Source > View Generated Source. This will show the DOM structure that jQuery has created (as HTML) and you can just replicate that output with PHP.

As mentioned you'll need links in the tabs to trigger a page reload to show the different content.