Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    learn how to draw.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search at Google for graphic design tutorials. There are lot of online tutorials are available.
    Web Services India
    Make Money Online:Make money fast at home with money making ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @XLCowBoy: Thanks for the tips. They are very good.
    WPlancer.Com - PHP & WordPress Developer
    ProverbHunter - English Proverbs Explained

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could not resist posting it at my blog: About Graphic Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the best way to learn it is to do it.... just start doin it man

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen some people that are very good with graphic design fail because they
    have no clue where to start. Or what image(s) to make, or the right programs.
    So now I have decided it would be nice to make a tutorial for all you people on FPSB
    with the desire to become a graphic artist.

What you need:
    1) Patience - You won't always get a idea, so be patient
    2) Determination - If someone doesn't like your work try and try again.
    3) Knowledge - Some background
    4) Supplies
    5) A purpose

What you need:
    1) A image program ( GIMP free Download, Adobe Photoshop site)
    2) Fonts - CoolText.com
    3) Renders - Planet Renders
    4) Image Hoster - Photobucket

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have already learned the concepts of graphic design then you simply need to practice and observe. Anytime you see a design that you like study it, find out why you like it, look at the colors, why do they work? what does it communicate and how does it communicate it? look at negative and positive space, is it cluttered or open? How is it balanced (or unbalanced) and what does that do?

Then practice those concepts, see how you can work with the elements that the design you liked put to good use. You will start to subconsciously pick up fundamentals, intuition, etc...

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banago View Post
    I could not resist posting it at my blog: About Graphic Design
    That's cool mate. Although I need to warn you - last I checked, sitepoint doesn't allow self linking in the posts. You should edit it to "posted it at my blog (link on my sig)" or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen everywhere things like this. Also I credit SitePoint. I do not know if it is really not allowed. Some more help would be appreciated.

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen some people that are very good with graphic design fail because they have no clue where to start.
    Web designers fail because they don't know how to sell themselves, but even worse, they don't know how to sell online. They don't know how to design a layout that meets the expectation of a first-time visitor to a website. They refuse to build a site "for the visitor" but instead focus on design for design's sake.

My best advice? Discover what sells online. Then make a few sites of your own to prove it to yourself what sells. Then present to others that you don't just "design" but you "design to sell."

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lerxtjr View Post
    Web designers fail because they don't know how to sell themselves, but even worse, they don't know how to sell online. They don't know how to design a layout that meets the expectation of a first-time visitor to a website. They refuse to build a site "for the visitor" but instead focus on design for design's sake.

My best advice? Discover what sells online. Then make a few sites of your own to prove it to yourself what sells. Then present to others that you don't just "design" but you "design to sell."
    I'll have to disagree with your last statement.

While I do concur that there are designers who design for the sake of designing, designing based on trends is just as bad.

A design should be whatever is appropriate. If your client's website has 6000 products to sell, no amount technical Photoshop skill is going to help them navigate through that kind of inventory.

In the same vein, if your client is running a fashion business, you shouldn't be designing a site that looks like it was inspired by Apple. Know what's appropriate, and then apply.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, personally, I learn most from screwing around in ps/psp and following tutorials but not following them exactly and trying other things.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Datura - I really appreciate your style of replying to our questions (though i have asked none as of now :P,still in regard to answering aryan's doubts)

I am really very excited having started to know a little bit about graphic design and web designing. Its been most enjoyable to read some inspiring and practical (sometimes crazy ... but like you said break the rules! ) posts in blogs such as JustCreativeDesign,Veerle,WebDesignerWall,Simplebits,etc.

Do you happen to have a blog too. If so please lemme know about it. I would love to learn more by reading through it. I just read two posts of yours, and I must say that your writing is very good
    Keep it up.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatchinu View Post
    @Datura - I really appreciate your style of replying to our questions (though i have asked none as of now :P,still in regard to answering aryan's doubts)

I am really very excited having started to know a little bit about graphic design and web designing. Its been most enjoyable to read some inspiring and practical (sometimes crazy ... but like you said break the rules! ) posts in blogs such as JustCreativeDesign,Veerle,WebDesignerWall,Simplebits,etc.

Do you happen to have a blog too. If so please lemme know about it. I would love to learn more by reading through it. I just read two posts of yours, and I must say that your writing is very good
    Keep it up.
    Thank you much for your nice compliment I write this way because that is how I approach design. There are other people who have a totally different style. All are valid to find what you are searching for. It is a very individual style we all have developed but the goal is always the same.

At this moment in time I do not have a blog. I am working towards a website about design and foremost color choices, it will be a long time in coming. But if you need a question answered you can always post here in the forum. That way you will get an answer from different people with differing ways of going about designing. It is always a good thing to weigh contrasting options
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One design book that is out there and is being used in a class I'm taking is Design Basics Index by Jim Krause. It does a good job of showing by example, and then also has exercises for you to work through. Though it will not replace the value of having your work critiqued by an instructor, it is a good start.

Also, I would expand on the comment made by someone above to learn to draw. I know in learning illustrator I immediately noticed how principles from drawing applied to creating designs. I've taken many art classes, and each time, regardless of medium, I keep realizing how important it is to have a core foundation in drawing. (though I'm not there yet myself).

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwdatl View Post
    One design book that is out there and is being used in a class I'm taking is Design Basics Index by Jim Krause. It does a good job of showing by example, and then also has exercises for you to work through. Though it will not replace the value of having your work critiqued by an instructor, it is a good start.

Also, I would expand on the comment made by someone above to learn to draw. I know in learning illustrator I immediately noticed how principles from drawing applied to creating designs. I've taken many art classes, and each time, regardless of medium, I keep realizing how important it is to have a core foundation in drawing. (though I'm not there yet myself).
    Not necessarily.

I myself am an illustrator. However, I use only squares, circles, and rectangles to sketch out a user interface.

Now if you're trying to create an image (e.g. like a photoshop'ed world a la 2advanced), then yeah, you would need a background in drawing.

That being said, this is a great article on design:
    How To Communicate Design Decisions To Clients?

Hikari silver trophy artistsneverdie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Designing and producing artworks is fundamentally an eye for composition, use of correct colour, and visual flair, all pulled together with developed technique which will come with years of practice. I've been doing digital design in various forms for nearly 13 years, and I'm still learning and improving every day.

Good design isn't something that can be taught IMO, being artistic and having "an eye" is something that you're born with.

Digital designing is also the ability to see the end product in your mind when all you have is a blank canvas and just a thought.

Designing websites can essentially be taught as they fundamentally follow the same structure, header, columns, footer, and as such follow a systematic approach (especially as you have to consider the counsequences of coding the design). Whereas producing artwork in both digital and analogue formats needs a more chaotic and freeform approach.
    www.hikaridesign.com | Contemporary Design
    Won some awards here once upon a time...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artistsneverdie View Post

Good design isn't something that can be taught IMO, being artistic and having "an eye" is something that you're born with.
    So, what other abilities is a person born with? Would what you say not indicate that you are born with a certain knowledge and therefore, how would you know what any truth is, since in your view you are born with a set of predetermined ideas?
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'm saying is everyone is born with different traits which are hightened and superior to other abilities they may also have been given, I know i'll never be as good an artist as say Monet, or as good a F1 driver as Aryton Senna, no matter how hard I practice or how long I dedicate to that particular trait. IMO there's a finite limit to someone's ability pool, a limit which can be enhanced considerably in some cases with experience and training, but there will still be a finite cap on that ability. Only those born with a natural gift will be able to take themselves to the top of their chosen professional. As the old racing analogy goes, "He ran out of talent before he ran out of road".

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artistsneverdie View Post
    What I'm saying is everyone is born with different traits which are hightened and superior to other abilities they may also have been given, I know i'll never be as good an artist as say Monet, or as good a F1 driver as Aryton Senna, no matter how hard I practice or how long I dedicate to that particular trait. IMO there's a finite limit to someone's ability pool, a limit which can be enhanced considerably in some cases with experience and training, but there will still be a finite cap on that ability. Only those born with a natural gift will be able to take themselves to the top of their chosen professional. As the old racing analogy goes, "He ran out of talent before he ran out of road".
    Absolutely, totally agree.

What is also interesting is that there is still a disparity even between designers.

There are "decent", "good", "great", and "genius" designers.

There are genius designers that are only 19 years of age - so how else can you explain the gap between that genius 19 year old and the "decent" designer who is in his/her mid-30's?

Talent. Pure, natural-born, talent.

That's why Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikonnen are who they are, and why David Coulthard could never be them. He simply didn't have their talent.

Now between "designers" and "non-designers", the gaps are even more glaringly obvious.

This is why my wife, who is a design/multi-media professor at a university here has to sometimes break it to some kids that "this course just isn't for you."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well artistsneverdie and XLCowBoy, non of this alters the fact that ability is knowledge and no one is born with knowledge.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XLCowBoy View Post
    Absolutely, totally agree.

What is also interesting is that there is still a disparity even between designers.

There are "decent", "good", "great", and "genius" designers.

There are genius designers that are only 19 years of age - so how else can you explain the gap between that genius 19 year old and the "decent" designer who is in his/her mid-30's?

Talent. Pure, natural-born, talent.
    Precisely.

This applies to all professions, hobbies, sports etc...

Clearly it helps if you start developing a specific ability from a very early age (e.g. Hamilton) and have the backing to do so, obviously a younger mind is at a better disposition to absorb information rather than an older mind already overloaded with other data.

You can still not have a given genius talent in your specific field and make a good living, or enjoy a sport competitively, but those with strong inherited traits and skills will predominantly achieve the greatest success (not always of course, I have a friend who is an amazing natural media illustrator, far better than I, but he doesn't have the drive to push himself).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    Well artistsneverdie and XLCowBoy, non of this alters the fact that ability is knowledge and no one is born with knowledge.
    What makes you say ability is knowledge?

If hypothetically speaking you and I did a sport/ event/ hobby/ design/ coding whatever... and we both had exactly the same fundemental knowledge of the activity, one of us would be naturally better at it, due to an inherant disposition towards a physical/ mental characteristic (no matter what it is) that enables us to be better at that activity than the other, no matter how small the advantage.

Knowledge has a cap as to the advantage it can give you within a certain ability, you could know everything about football but be crap at it because you're 23 stone and can't walk more than 2 yards.
    Last edited by artistsneverdie; Jul 30, 2008 at 09:00.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP sounds plenty ambitious and motivated. I encourage you to seek some sort of formal education for what interests you. You can always self-teach, but nothing beats a formal education.

In terms of learning as you go and picking up great graphic design suggestions, I recommend creativepro.com. I subscribe to their newsletter, and the caliber of my daily work has improved thanks to some of their articles.