SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

php vs ruby on rails

hello

iam working now to learn php and i almost gained some great knowledge but just want to ask if there is a big difference between php and ROR and do u advise me to just continue learning php or get wet with ROR and if php can just do all the job that ruby can do?
    ALWAYS LOOKING FORWARD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember there being threads on this before, so please search this forum (and the PHP forum) for them.

People like Rails because of how it changes the way the developers can write code, not that it enables making any sites that weren't possible before.
    There are some things you shouldn't try to code at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, PHP is a language, RoR is a framework for Ruby.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In many ways it comes down to personal preference. Comparing PHP with RoR isn't a fair comparison, since as was mentioned previously PHP is a language and Rails is a framework, but it is one you'll find made several times if you search the web. If you're interested in using PHP there are frameworks available.

I have done a lot of work with both and my preference is to work with RoR. There is a learning curve associated with it but there are some great resources available which I've saved in del.icio.us if you're interested: del.icio.us/cwills/rubyonrails (sorry not enough posts to make this a real link)

In the end, it depends on your reasons for learning a new programming language. If you're looking for something to put on your resume then PHP is probably best since there's are many more companies using PHP. If you're trying to build a web application then I'd recommend RoR. It has allowed me to quickly put my ideas into actions making coding far more enjoyable.
    Marketing for Mavens: Web Site Calls to Action Manager
    ReStream:
    The Twitter Discovery Engine
    : Recommending content
    based on your interests.