SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Designer's Knowledge

I just wanted to ask, that as a designer. What should be one's area of expertise?

I know Photoshop, and a few other Designing Softwares fairly well. Is CSS, Slicing, table layouts and the scripting to use (Not the actual scripting) etc. also part of the designer's job? What else should I learn to be successful as a DESIGNER only.
    Hamza Shams
    CEO Xyber 3D Studios

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To tell you the truth you'd likely be a poor web graphic designer unless you know a thing or two about making a web-page too.

Not that your designs wouldn't look nice. Hell, they might be f*cking gorgeous!... but they might also be impractical for web and difficult for your web-developers to work with.

Perhaps you should consider becoming a print graphic designer. There are still restrictions there, but more freedom than with web.

Second point... knowing Photoshop doesn't equal knowing how to design. You'd need a decent art background first... with the corresponding knowledge of how to create... what is appealing... how to manipulate the viewers' eye and thoughts through visuals alone.

Try to enroll yourself in a good art-school. Learning the programs is nothing... you can teach yourself that for free.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no Newbie in this Field. I just don't know Programming.

Though I agree they may not be Web-Friendly all the time. But most programmers can code my Designs. I can do some HTML and Table Layouts but CSS and PHP get way off hand and confusing.
    Last edited by longneck; Jul 4, 2008 at 06:50. Reason: removed self-promotional link
    Hamza Shams
    CEO Xyber 3D Studios

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_3D
    But most programmers can code my Designs.
    Just because something can be done, that doesn't mean it should. Remember, there's still the issue of the loading times of your viewers to consider.

Be sure to use your discretion to balance beauty with practicality.

Anyways, my advice from above still stands.

If you want to be a real, hard-core designer... learn to design! One's area of expertise should be art. Fullstop.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. So in your opinion I should learn CSS or not?
    Hamza Shams
    CEO Xyber 3D Studios

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you should learn CCS, that gives you the backbone of designing for the web. You can design huge parts of a page just with coding. That will give you very little weight for the loading time to be fast. Then add a few extras you create in PS and you will be there. You will also be able to have an understanding when you work with a coder, what he needs and what the limitations are etc.

As a designer you tend to try to have full control over your designs, every little corner and line matters. You have to retrain your thinking about that and become more flexible to work with the medium of the web instead of against it, which is often the case with designers that have not learned to code.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the Tip. Guess I should give it a try.
    Hamza Shams
    CEO Xyber 3D Studios

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_3D View Post
    Thanks for the Tip. Guess I should give it a try.
    Indeed you should. You will be much more self assured about this situation once you have learned the basics. Try to do some exercises to see what you can achieve. You might actually like it
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All valid and helpful advices. I feel though, following certain laid out rules boxes our artistic side, the creativity. Unfortunate reality is that if you want to make some form of living out of graphic design you have to learn and follow certain RULES regardless you agree with it or not. Wouldn't it be nice designers can be artists and web developers handles design and coding using original artwork of the artist...
    ck
    Creative Kitten | Free Web Graphics, Icons and Photos

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best these days is to learn CSS for all the popular content management systems.

Wordpress
    Joomla
    Drupal
    Oscommerce
    Boonex

If you can design templates for his best open sources you will have a big market.

Also the most important element is you need to be creative and not just every designer do the same. Be different and you will make a success.

Good luck to you

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its good that you know the basic design tools, but just knowledge of tools will not make you DESIGNER. Surf the websites, Practice on best ready templates learn get some idea / inspiration.

You need to get good knowledge and practice for choosing colors, alignment and spacing of objects. Your simple designs will look great.

Visit lots of sites for inspiration and to get design ideas, some of my favorite are smashing magazine, color lovers, monster template, stylegala, listapart.
    let me know your comments if any.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ck88 View Post
    Unfortunate reality is that if you want to make some form of living out of graphic design you have to learn and follow certain RULES regardless you agree with it or not.
    Not necessarily - some of the best visual designers out there are the ones breaking the rules. When I am looking to hire a designer, I am only interested in the portfolios of those who push the limits and aren't stuck in a certain style. Wordpress is great, but I'm getting sick and tired of looking at that same format over and over and over...

Quote Originally Posted by ck88 View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice designers can be artists and web developers handles design and coding using original artwork of the artist...
    There's nothing wrong with that, and I am a believer in that way of working. I am a strong visual designer, but my coding skills suck. I personally believe that my time is better spent working with developers who can build my concepts, rather than me wasting time trying to learn and keep up to date with all the coding technology.

I have a strong background in HTML and CSS, but for now, that's all I want (and need) to know.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To improve their competitiveness you can select the technical way, and other ways. You have already mastered a number of design tools, if you want to go further by technology , I think you have some more that is necessary, otherwise, you can try to learn some knowledge of management or other aspects that is for breakthrough.