User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website mock-up only done by designer?

Hi,
    I've been out of the trade for a while and planning on starting up my own business next year. I'm curious...what if I catered for designing and conceptualizing the customer's websites only? I've done a little of Dreamweaver and Flash but want to concentrate on the design side more. Is it best to farm the actual structure design out or employ someone? I won't have the finances to employ someone though.
    Is it possible to just come up with the concepts?
    Anyone have advice please?

From Graphics7

SitePoint Enthusiast CoreyFreeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graphic7 View Post
    Hi,
    I've been out of the trade for a while and planning on starting up my own business next year. I'm curious...what if I catered for designing and conceptualizing the customer's websites only? I've done a little of Dreamweaver and Flash but want to concentrate on the design side more. Is it best to farm the actual structure design out or employ someone? I won't have the finances to employ someone though.
    Is it possible to just come up with the concepts?
    Anyone have advice please?

From Graphics7
    You could sell .psds off a website, or just find a partner who can code and split the profits. I don't think people buy "ideas" but hey, somebody had to invent bottled water.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would really be best for you to learn at least some basic html and css. Then you know better how to take those requirements into consideration when you start the actual designing, the visual of the site. You also are more familiar with the terms when you start talking to the coder.

Your design will then also automatically be of better use for the purpose because of the understanding of the underlying structure You get a better feel for how slim the designs must be in order to load fast, how much you can just code versus just plopping graphics in. Both of these disciplines must work in tandem.

You have to find a person for the coding that can get what you are aiming for, you also must get what the coder requires. Just going for the designing alone is probably not easy to do. Good luck to you Try to sell yourself first and see if you can make it. The market is tough.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Sneakyheathen,
    Thanks I really appreciate your advice, I thought that might be the case. I'm more a designer and graphics, not really much patience for coding, but I might just have to practice the software more and as you say...have a partner for coding, etc. You're a real hoot, I love your bottled water comment!! This industry can't be without comedians, we'd go mad!! Thanks again

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Datura,
    Thank you for your comments and advice, again really appreciated. I have learnt basic html, but haven't really got into CSS yet. I get your point though. I know it's a lot easier to do the graphics than doing coding, but the intial design comes from the experts too, good design doesn't come easy.
    I was a graphic designer before but went on a travelling stint for 15 years, got a shock what I was up against when I came back and doing lots of refreshmeent courses presently. I'm redeveloping my folio, so we'll see. I'm pretty determined, but I do realise what I'm up against.
    Thanks, I appreciate any advice.
    Love any more comments for any other ideas.
    I plan on focusing on different areas of design and advertising, so I'm looking at many avenues. Cheers guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it would help if you know a little... By little I mean enough to know design the limitations. There's a lot I can do with html and css, but sometimes you just get this impossible psd from a graphic designer that if they keep on insisting on having that design, that half the site is huge chunks of images Common problem is having the site centred on patterned background but it's got a drop shadow that blends in with the pattern...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi O o.moo,
    It's funny you say that, I had the same problem when i tried to layout my portfolio into a website in before...I tried to do something creative in Dreamweaver but ended up doing the whole design concept in Flash. It just couldn't be done in Dreamweaver.
    Boy, there's a heep to learn really. But what I can't understand is why one should be able to do some great things in Flash and not in Dreamweaver. I suppose it is the expertise of the person using Dreamweaver, huh?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graphic7,

I don't have a lot of time for a more thorough reply right now, but there is no way you can compare Flash with Dreamweaver. It's almost like comparing 3D Studio Max with Photoshop...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graphic7 View Post
    To Datura,
    Thank you for your comments and advice, again really appreciated. I have learnt basic html, but haven't really got into CSS yet. I get your point though. I know it's a lot easier to do the graphics than doing coding, but the intial design comes from the experts too, good design doesn't come easy.
    The CSS is what gives you the ability to style (design) your site though. That is a prerequisite really for you to start in this business of designing for this medium. It will give you the insight you need to do a proper job. Learn the basics and do a site from scratch just as a test. You will be able to find out how the different browsers read all of your intended designs (rolleyes, there are some bad surprises in there) and you can adjust your thinking about designing. Fonts are one of the biggest hang ups, you have limited choices and forcing the issue with images is a no no.

On paper you have total control doing your original art work, going to print you will lose some control already. But to design for the web is like swimming, you have to dodge every wave and still try to stay on course. Especially if the requirement is to design for fluid layouts. You also have to adapt to the viewer setting his own preferences different from what your intent as a designer was. You have to give up tight thinking and accept losing total control.

So, it does not take that long to learn basic CSS, and who knows, you might start enjoying it and carry it further along as I have done. It is fun to design that way, having the graphic/artistic ability and adding the coding to that. There is so much information here on SitePoint about this, also on the web in general, so there should be no problem. Don't say that you have no patients for this. Look at it as a challenge and an extension of your current ability. Have fun with it
    Ulrike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To O o.moo...
    Actually I haven't really compared the 2...I used the 2 of them. I understand what you're saying, but what I wanted to create in Dreamweaver I couldn't do, so I was advised to do it in Flash...and it worked.
    Yes there are design limitations which make it frustrating for me, certainly a big job for coders, I bow my head to them for their expertise.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Datura,
    Gee thanks a lot for your info. You're probably right in what you say and I think I'll take your advice and start giving it a go...I'll also make sure I keep visiting your site.
    I've never been one for forums before, but I might of just found myself a mentor, thank you Datura.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are welcome.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)