SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question This project appropriate for Ruby?

Hi,

I have project that I need to work on, and I'd like to learn RoR, but I'm not sure if this project is really suitable to RoR. Or better suited to something else.

This is a workgroup/intranet (maybe 10 users) application using a database to track details of many short-term work projects. That's the main functionality, and so far no big deal. But as part of the deliverables, it must be able to print a variety of precise manufacturing labels that we currently use Word templates to handle (sort of handle).

Short of printing the labels itself, my application can certainly leverage Word templates for this purpose, but I have no idea if this type of functionality is easily handled with Rails. Are there libraries available that might be helpful for this?

Is there a reporting library that would handle the labeling part? Or generate absolute coordinate PDF's or what-have-you?

Thanks for any responses.

...Todd

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there are tools that allow Ruby to talk to Office APIs. For example, ruby win32ole.

Have a look at this for an example:
    http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/search/label/word

Of search google for "ruby excel" (more useful hits than "ruby word" or "ruby office"). Anything you can do in Ruby can in its turn be used by Rails, though you may have to do something like send the resultant documents as e-mail attachments.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information. Thanks ReggieB.

I'm sure I'll be able to use Rails and some Microsoft APIs together somehow. Email would be inconvenient, but acceptable as a last resort I suppose. I'll look at those example links and see what I can glean.

That's the difficulty with browser-based business apps, browser security prevents access to the hardware API's, like printing, file management, etc. Maybe handling it (label printing) server-side is worth considering, but again inconvenient.

..Todd