SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I've learned about blogging regularly

An issue that I had, and that I've seen many people have over the years, is maintaining momentum on their blog. I'd get excited about a topic, make a couple good posts about it, then run out of steam. What could I say that hadn't been said before?

When I started my current main blog, KenSharpe.net, I had a different idea. I wrote about something that was ongoing in my life. I wouldn't have to wrack my brain trying to think of something original to say about SEO, or what have you -- I'd write about my personal experiences as they happened. The topic is highly relevant for the intended audience (young, business-minded tech people), and the material is limitless. I've been diligent about having three posts a week, and I've been running for about 3 months now, with scads of posts saved as drafts, waiting to be published.

I think it's a good strategy, I just thought I'd share! Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just batch it all and do it all in one swoop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, that's just what I do -- most Saturdays I'll knock out a couple weeks or a month of posts. Still, actually having a topic upon which to speak originally, and insightfully is easier said than done.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fair enough that you feel comfortable with this strategy but is it working? What kind of visitor numbers do you get? Any growth in recurring visitors?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question -- I get around 100 hits per day. I haven't advertised at all until I began hitting the pavement yesterday, and it's been up about 2.5 months. Time will tell if it becomes popular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually most bloggers started like that. At least the old school bloggers who did it for fun and for the sheer idea of having an "open diary"

it's only now that people are using it for means other than personal satisfaction

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely a good idea to write about something that will be ongoing and continue to give you fresh material to write about. It does suck sitting around trying to think of a blog post to write that you haven't already written about a million times before.
    Internet Marketing Consultant! Find me at http://trentbrownrigg.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea is to say things in your own twist.
    People don't mind reading the same stuff all the time as much.
    Much like we watch the same new stories, but said in different ways by different reporters.
    Self-Help Guides - Improve Your Life
    Travel Agent Business - Become a Travel Agent
    Tutoring - Tutoring
    Term Papers - Term Paper Help

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you. I know some people who blog just to share their experiences but now they are now successful in their own fields like marketing, advertising, web related stuffs, and some companies ask them to participate in some of their events.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unique and interesting blogs are hard to come across these days. I, for one, look for more than just a blogger's online diary; his/her posts has to have me hooked.

.. This is one of the reasons why I'm usually stumped when making blog posts. I can't keep a regular pace in blogging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you are into such blogging - you literally forget what you came there for initially. However, there are so much info to be learnt that you have to experience it - it just can't be said in a few words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Let us just face it, its one thing to write a post and blog about something and yet it another thing to attract other people who are interested in what you are writing about.

Heck, I can blog about my cat and write two posts a day about me and my cat but will that be helpful first to me, second to my audience and last to my purpose and agenda?
    Focus. Establishment. Authority
    Affiliate Marketing Help 1-800 Blog