Thread: Niche Blogging

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Niche Blogging

Hi again,

Is it possible to create a blog, and monetize it with affiliates like ClickBank without knowing much about the niche your blogging about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's difficult building any credibility when you don't know much about your niche. What would you blog about in this case anyway? Would you consider buying blog posts?

From my gut feeling, Adsense and the like might be better in this case.

Have you checked out Sitepoint's new Kit? The sample chapter is about Affiliate Marketing in a niche market.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really know about what I would blog about, but the thing is a lot of bloggers say they have multiple blogs just for promoting their affiliates products. I think most of them knew almost nothing about their niche when they began.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's absolutely valid, if you put in enough time to investigate and find out about your chosen niche, and show some interest. But then again, you start to know more about your chosen niche then. Alternatively, as I said, it's possible to buy content for your blogs without knowing much about your topic.

What happens if I feel that you don't have enough credibility? Take for example Drupal, an open source CMS I mainly use for my websites and by far the most blogs I visit regularly deal with Drupal, and I occasionally come across a new blog talking about Drupal. I won't subscribe to this new blog if I see that the person behind it doesn't know square about Drupal. The most I do on these blogs is leave a quick comment and trying to point the blogger in the right direction but I won't revisit this blog on purpose ever again. Then, this blog doesn't have a chance to sell me the new books on Drupal. Quite on the other hand, I'm more inclined to buy a new book through a link from a blogger I trust and value his/her opinion and who then has read the book him-/herself and gives a brief (and honest!) review on it.

You have four blogs in your sig but I don't see that you're that active on any of them. Why don't you try and build those up before you venture into the next area?
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true that you need to have at least some credibility to interest your visitors. As for my blogs, I have four of them and I'm really only active on one blog the 'Make your blog popular' blog. I hadn't much time tu update my blog due to my exams. The thing I 'tried' these past days is to market my blog a little bit. When I finish my exams. I'm really going to try to put up some good content.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You absolutely do not need to know everything about your chosen niche to write a Blog. A lot of people seem to think that all Bloggers are experts on their chosen subject when it's very far from the truth. All I will say is that if you're planning to write about a subject then you'll need to at least be learning about it. If you were to make a Blog on Haskell then you'd better be learning Haskell from the time you start it, so that way you'll have experiences to write from.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the more you know about a topic the easier you will find things and ultimately the better off you will be assuming you are writing your own content then a basic knowledge is a must in my view failing that you could use reprint articles but then theres the dup content issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have informative articles that you may outsource on your blog, or you cna just outsource somebody to write for your blog, so the answer is no, but you have to be willing to invest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly feel that you can't be successful with niche marketing! What prevents you from getting to know about niche that you wanna to promote?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your good choice i also use free globs and get more results.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You better use Adsense and Kontera. This two works well together.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fr@nc!z View Post
    You better use Adsense and Kontera. This two works well together.
    Well I'm not blogging that long, approximately one month, but I saw more results with referrals then with Adsense (only 1 click).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is natural. You are NOT expecting too much clicks if you are blogging for only a month. If you think that blogging is not for you then do not blog. You can still earn money on line without a blog though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know blogging takes a lot of time and work. Rome wasn't built in one day you know. The only thing I'm pointing out is that I see more potential in affiliates and referrals then in Adsense.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always buy a package of 30 or so niche packages from either ghost writers or through a PLR site. I'd go with ghost before PLR.

SitePoint Enthusiast indigobean2003's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepy View Post
    I don't really know about what I would blog about, but the thing is a lot of bloggers say they have multiple blogs just for promoting their affiliates products. I think most of them knew almost nothing about their niche when they began.
    Ye, you don't have to know anything about your niche when you start out.
    But I suggest you pick something you are passionate about. Otherwise you will get bored with it right quick.

SitePoint Enthusiast CoreyFreeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepy View Post
    Hi again,

Is it possible to create a blog, and monetize it with affiliates like ClickBank without knowing much about the niche your blogging about?
    Think of doing it like a step-by-step learning blog. Like a documentary or something. "I'm Creepy (I hope that isn't your real name, haha) and I'm going to be learning about (such and such) topic and bringing you my tales of success and failure at making money off of it." Honesty is key.

If you're only going to "blog" for a month. (I use the quotations, because blogging itself is a noun deeming a long time period in my opinion) then forget it, and write an E-book. Prolly make more money that way.
    Last edited by CoreyFreeman; Jul 2, 2008 at 15:12. Reason: "then" not "than"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to create content your self then choose niche according to your interests. Otherwise after a time you will not be able to come up with good articles. Choosing niche in comfortable domain always help you to blog regular and better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE]I don't really know about what I would blog about, but the thing is a lot of bloggers say they have multiple blogs just for promoting their affiliates products. I think most of them knew almost nothing about their niche when they began.
    __________________[QUOTE]
    Of course you can start up blogging without knowing the niche! And find it during some time . But you it's hard to make content and write about everything and about nothing special! Niche marketing is a good approach to SEO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to become an authority site then you have to have some knowledge on the niche topic.

However, it all depends on what your goal is. Sure there are many that have several blogs on different niches with appropriate affiliate links. Some do this on a full-time basis, some may outsource parts or at times all of whatever their plan/goals according to their devised plan.

If the plan is to monetize the niche blog, then how do you want to go about it...adsense, ppl, cpa, etc.

There isn't a clear cut answer. What I try to do is make a plan (a course of action) to follow. There are times when I feel impulsive with an idea so I create a simple Blogger Blog with adsense and see what happens, if it's positive I follow my typical plan of research, keyword research, buy domain, setup a wordpress blog, write unique content, add adsense or a CJ affiliate link (depends on topic and direction I'm going in) and move on to the next idea/project.

I do not have intentions of building a list which could be considered a marketing sin, but I do not have the time to maintain this aspect.

So this is just some food for thought...bottomline there are som many ways to do blogging, you just have to figure out what works best for you.

Hope this is helpful.