SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend Gif Animator, a very good software to do this fast and easy.
    It also has a very good compression and I would really recommend you to try it.

If you are a handyman you might have great success by using the ImageReady tool inside Photoshop too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your requirement is like displaying gif image randomly then I have the solution

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make the frames in Corel PSP x2 and then put the actual animation together with Unfreeze .
    Custom Landing Pages - Only $55
    Fully coded in HTML.
    Professional designs, high quality work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fireworks is a pretty good tool for creating animated GIF's, I never thought you could use flash to create gifs. my experiencing with flash is that the quality is bad when exporting to anything other than a swf file.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually JASC 3 works pretty well and the quality is decent and I think JASC is free too (google "JASC"). Try it and see if it meets your expectations for quality. Sure beats buying some high dollar software that may or may not work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its been some years since I've used it, but I think Gif Optimizer is the best gif animation program ever. I find the photoshop gif animator a bit difficult to work with.

I prefer the straight, export each frame as a gif in 256 colors and import the frames into Gif Optimizer and then let it work its magic.

You should think of a gif animation as a series of gif images wrapped into one file that is animated, much like a flipbook.

You should also realize how gif compression is achieved, some tips to making your gif animation the best it can be are:

- Use blocks of solid colors, don't use or limit your use of photos -- with only 256 colors photos will look pixelated.

- From frame to frame, try to keep a bulk of the image non-changing and have an area of your images where the action (the animation) happens. For example, say you make a sitepoint banner - 468x60 size - For frame1, you would put the sitepoint logo on the left, some whitespace on the right. Frame2, keep the sitepoint logo on the left, but then have the words Interested in Flex 3 display in the whitespace. Frame3, keep the sitepoint logo on the left and then have the words Free Book. Download now. appear where the "Interested in Flex 3" text was.

You'll find that by not moving the logo Gif Optimizer will take the common elements between the three frames and sort of reuse them from frame to frame, the result is less final weight of the file because when it creates frame2, it will just mask out the area where the logo is and reveal what is underneath on frame 1. Its tricky to explain, but if you mess with Gif Optimizer you'll see how it works, it really is a great program. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Also, take a look at the sitepoint website. A very nice new, clean design indeed. My guess is that the color palette is under 256 colors for the skin of the site and you see how effective it is. So, for gif animation, you should probably borrow some of the rules of good web design and limit your pallette to only a few colors whereever possible.
    Last edited by IJoeR; Aug 1, 2008 at 10:35. Reason: just expaning on color...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rguy84 View Post
    I am not sure why all of you say use photoshop. Technically speaking PS is not meant to work this way, but whatever floats your boat. Fireworks has the ability to create animated gif.
    Yeah, Fireworks is excellent for creating animated .gif files in addition, I use it to lay out every web project design -- slice up the layers, then re-build the site using DW.

Here is a site where I created all types of banners that are small. All done with Fireworks :

Foster Folly News (note: reload the home page a few times since the banners rotate out randomly)

These are 250x120 and 120x120 sized banners in .jpg, .gif and animated .gif all done with fireworks -- usually anywhere from 10-20 minutes.
    intragenesis, llc professional web & graphic design