SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are social bookmarking sites worth the hassle?

As the title says, are they REALLY worth it? Looks like to me to get anything out of them you have to be a bit active? What benefits apart from maybe minimal traffic does social bookmarking sites have?

I have my blog submitted on some but i get NO traffic from them, I am thinking it's because I am not active?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a decent amount of traffic from FaceBook to a site of mine. Members of the website add the corresponding FaceBook page to their profile, then their friends see it and follow the link to check it out.

I also provide information for users to add the sites RSS feed to their FaceBook profile. This allows them to advertise not only the site, but each individual news post. Not many people have taken up this option, but enough randoms visit my own profile to make it worth the while. I'm quite active on FaceBook though, so it's not too hard for me to generate traffic this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is !

Before the era of social networking, it was difficult to meet other Internet users. If you tried, you would have to rely on chat rooms or instant messaging services. As nice as these popular Internet features are, they are not always considered safe. Not only have social networking sites made it safer to meet people online, it also allows you to meet people that have the same or similar interests as yourself. Most social networking sites allow you to create your own profile; in fact, many even give you your own web-page. These profiles or pages will allow you to share information on yourself, including your likes and dislikes. And it would be fairly easy for you to meet up with other network members that have similar profiles, especially those who enjoy or believe in the same things that you do.

Think of social networking as an investment, although social networking is not for everyone. It is like all publicity is NOT good publicity

Check it out - you'll understand it better !

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, i get some traffic via social bookmarking. You have to work patiently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely in order to get successful with social media marketing you will need to be an active user in them.

They are not much different than real communities, people that participate and are active and help others and present interesting things get MORE attention from the community then the people that are just passive participants !!!

If you need more tips you can read a post I did a while back
    http://geoland.org/2008/03/social-media-marketing-tips/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am getting huge amount of traffic from Social Bookmarking sites. I found this is the easiest way to get good amount of free traffic. You can read how social bookmarking sites help to increase your site popularity. Read this :- http://www.webguru-india.com/blog/in...l-bookmarking/

Also dont forgot to check awesome video inside the post. The video will explain you how social bookmarking sites work.

SitePoint Enthusiast WickedGoddess's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yay.. I have registered to many social bookmarking sites, yet I was not able to check on them all.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so, John Reese is releasing a web 2.0 ebook that focuses on social bookmarketing sites
    Increase Web Traffic
    www.FriendInviter.com
    Affiliate Program
    www.PromoteFriendInviter.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say so definitely but the thing is some are more beneficial than others plus some you will use more than others simply out of personal preference.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to go against every other person in this thread and say no, Social Bookmarking websites are often a complete waste of time.

There's no denying that for a simple submission you can gain a number of users, but are these users actually worthwhile to you? Let's say for example you get a front-page placement on Digg. You'll receive thousands of visitors, but with the nature of their community you'll get very few return and next to no one clicking your ads, whilst you've lost gigs of bandwidth. Stumbleupon works in the same way, with users coming to you once only to click the button again to head elsewhere.

Another downside to social bookmarking is that millions of other webmasters are trying to get easy hits by doing exactly the same thing. You're competing against a submission a second on Digg, with at least 50% of them coming from webmasters trying to get more traffic.

That being said, it's a painless investment as long as you only do it for a few minutes a day at most. If you're going to spend any longer with it then you may as well just work on the website you're trying to promote instead. The only thing you need to look out for is that you're definitely not abusing the services. If you register and only submit your own websites there's a good chance your site will be labelled as spam, effectively ruining all chances of you getting any placements in that website.

If you feel the need to read more on my opinion of Social Networking feel free to read the following post.

Social Networking is no Marketing Tool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry dude but your must be active on all your marketing aspect of your site. building traffic you must work it does not happen over night.

bobkat

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must be involved in the communities to see a difference. Simply submitting your site and 'digging' it won't really help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
    As the title says, are they REALLY worth it? Looks like to me to get anything out of them you have to be a bit active? What benefits apart from maybe minimal traffic does social bookmarking sites have?

I have my blog submitted on some but i get NO traffic from them, I am thinking it's because I am not active?
    In order to build a large amount of traffic to your blog, you need to make friends! Find people and involve in the communities! Social bookmarking is not only about submitting, it doesn't end there my friends.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessiejames27 View Post
    In order to build a large amount of traffic to your blog, you need to make friends! Find people and involve in the communities! Social bookmarking is not only about submitting, it doesn't end there my friends.
    This is exactly the problem with Social Networking.

Sure, to get the almost useless traffic that many websites generate you need to be active in the communities. The problem with this is that you are supposed to be running and maintaining a website, not spending all day adding stories to Reddit or Digg in the vain that people will like you enough so you can exploit them.

Social Bookmarking takes time, and within that time you could've probably created Yahoo twice. I find it a lot better to just concentrate on making your website than trying to add it and post to loads of social networks. If your site is worthwhile people will stick around, if it isn't then you need to work on your content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advertising your company and product over the internet comes in so many ways, one of those is social bookmarking.
    There will be spikes in traffic if you are active in the community ,there will be exposure, but revenue may not be easy cos this sites are always visited by people for socializing and only a few are customers.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them all the time, i post a lot of my blog comments to stumble. At the moment, i know it isnt much, but i get about 5-10 people a day. Thing is it only takes 1 submit to get these people. It's been like that for a couple of weeks now so.

Only 200 or so users but still!

Then i've also posted somethings on digg, although in my experience its much easier to post a comment on a popular dugg topic as people seem to trust that much more. Was getting 40+ a few weeks ago ona great relevent blog topic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StubmleUpon is a good one to use, you just have to install their buttons on your tool bar and giving your posts (and other sites) the thumbs up is quick and easy.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IC_IC View Post
    StubmleUpon is a good one to use, you just have to install their buttons on your tool bar and giving your posts (and other sites) the thumbs up is quick and easy.
    Have you ever received relevant traffic from StumbleUpon? I'd have to say that SU is the worst of all social bookmarking tools just because the traffic you do get will never actually want to see your page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SU is probably in tie with Digg in terms of importance. The goal of social media traffic is not that you will make alot of money with it. The most important aspect of social media is the backlinks, feed-readers and relevant traffic you get from them. Here is how it works for me.

Start a blog ---> design it well ---> Write good contents ---> Submit it on Social Media ---> Get Traffic ---> Get Backlinks (results in increase PR) ---> Get Feed Readers.

Do it all over again (from writing contents). This worked for me greatly.

SU gives you traffic incrementally which lasts from weeks to months (depending on the content). Digg (if you ever even manage to get to the front page) will give you one big whoosh of traffic and you are done after one week. It is much easier to get traffic from Su than it is from Digg.

My best digg traffic in one week was 54,000. Other blogs picked it up (including lifehacker) and I got backlinks from them from months and months almost a six months after the post I still get regular traffic from that post. (I got lucky).

Do a lot of study on social media. read blogs (dosh dosh, mashable, problogger), that gives you information about taking advantage of social media. And than implement them wisely.

In today's day the fastest way to success in blogs (because there is so much competition) is through social media. There is no second or alternate ways.

This is not even a question of pondering or debate, this IS the only way.

Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I occasionally see a few social networks appear on my analytics, so I'd say yes, it's worth it. I've never gotten more than a dozen clicks or so a day from them, but hey, it's better than nothing, and for the most part, it's incredibly easy to post to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add.

I think most people do not understand the importance of "good contents". If someone doesn't have good content, you will not get traffic. Your primary goal shouldn't be frequent content writing, or submitting it on social media. Instead your primary goal should be on writing good contents. In one of my blogs (I have quite a few) I used to (and still do) spend great deal of time trying to write good contents. The purpose of most blogs is that you have something to offer that others will find useful enough to comeback to read more, talk about it on their blogs and share it with others (on social medias). Than there are contents handcrafted for social media (ie, top ten douche bags). Or subject matter intentionally intended to provoke positive (or negative) discussion (ie, Firefox is worse than IE7). As batman would say, "rattle the cage" .

I often find myself writing contents that take me 2-4 hours to finish. I do research on the topic I am going to talk about, search and include relevant pictures (a must!). Look for references, to back up my story (when applicable).

There are so many things I have learned in the past year. I could write a book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, social bookmarking sites are worth it.
    There are professionals (such as top Diggers) that have learned how to game the system. I see some of them push the same blogs (probably theirs or clients) via multiple accounts and nearly always getting front page. Front page = Millions of pageviews. Social bookmarking expertise has become a position in many marketing companies. So yes, it is worth the "hastle".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get traffic spikes from these sites. That's about it, the visitors don't stay loyal and the traffic is not sustainable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't get millions of views. I got on the front page on one blog 5 times this month so far. On average I got around 15-18k hits in a day. Obviously my target is not the digg hits but all the back links I get later from reputable sites. My best hit from digg was 45k on a single day. Mileage varies, depending on many factors; including what time of the day your site hits front page; what demography (subject matter) it is targeting; was it on the top ten digg counts of the day (24hours since hitting front page)? Did your site go down during the digg? The size of the article (if it is an article); and the quality of the content.

I have been studying digg for more than a year now. the system takes some time to understand and take advantage of. But if your content is not good enough to be submitted they will spit you out like a rotten fruit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Socila bookmarking (as Digg) are the great resourse for increasing your PR. It's a good method to promote your site!