SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can any wordpress experts help?

i'm getting nothing but sarcasm over at the wordpress forums! gosh, so i thought maybe there are some nice people here that know a bit about wordpress to help a girl out?

here goes..

I tried to move my index.php to my root directory so that my blog is on the home page of my website according to this:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_Wo..._Own_Directory

however it's not working for me! I seem to have done everything the tutorial says, but my homepage (index.php) is having problems loading images in the header, footer and posts section.

this is the index page: http://www.schmap.com.au/index.php that isn't working

and here is one of the other pages within the directory which are working should look: http://www.schmap.com.au/wp/?page_id=2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the official WordPress forums suck. I decided to help out over there about a month ago and got nothing but rude responses from other users. There seems to be a lot of rude know it all noobs over there.

I tried to move my index.php to my root directory so that my blog is on the home page of my website
    Did you realise you can do this by just placing your WordPress install in your root directory? Those instructions are specifically for if you don't want your root cluttered with the regular WordPress folders/files and rarely of any use.

The reason the graphics don't show up is caused by your image tags not specifying the correct URL. You can avoid this problem by specifying absolute URLs instead of relative ones. I assume that is the only problem you are having, or are there other problems?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't just move the index.php by itself. You must move the whole wordpress installation to the root directory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeldaze View Post
    You can't just move the index.php by itself. You must move the whole wordpress installation to the root directory.
    No. Read the link posted above ... http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_Wo..._Own_Directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    Yeah, the official WordPress forums suck. I decided to help out over there about a month ago and got nothing but rude responses from other users. There seems to be a lot of rude know it all noobs over there.
    tell me about it! it's as if they are just roaming around trying to find someone looking for help just so they can point and laugh, and be all 'as if you'd ask for help.. don't you know what you're doing?!' ... ..

Did you realise you can do this by just placing your WordPress install in your root directory? Those instructions are specifically for if you don't want your root cluttered with the regular WordPress folders/files and rarely of any use.
    yeah I did, but I was testing it in a subfolder.. so I thought this would be easier than moving everything over and having any errors come up. maybe I'll just move the whole site to the root dir tonight when nobody will be looking. I don't have to change anything in the DB file to do this do I? oh well I will soon find out!!!

The reason the graphics don't show up is caused by your image tags not specifying the correct URL. You can avoid this problem by specifying absolute URLs instead of relative ones. I assume that is the only problem you are having, or are there other problems?
    yeh that SEEMS to be the only problem, but I guess seem is the operative word huh. maybe I'll just move it all to the dir, although I could also use absolute URLs too, that would work! Thanks!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keira View Post
    although I could also use absolute URLs too, that would work! Thanks!!
    An advantage of doing it relatively is that anybody who steals your content won't be hotlinking to your images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

FYI, the following series of posts is what confirmed that I couldn't be bothered dealing with the official WordPress forum ... http://wordpress.org/support/topic/1...28#post-759220

The moron I was talking to didn't seem to understand the slightest thing about what they were talking about.

I assumed a moderator would turn up to sort things out, but they seem to be pretty thin on the ground over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at the two pages, and I'm seeing the same graphics in both. The only thing that's not working is the Flash, but I know that's on my end
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeMiskulin View Post
    I'm looking at the two pages, and I'm seeing the same graphics in both.
    That's because we found the solution already.