SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast igrowyourbiz.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow [ARTICLE] Controversial SECRET To Online SUCCESS - 90% Of Readers WILL NOT Do It!

WARNING: this post is not for the faint of heart, those looking for an easy way out or those who are not READY for the truth.

The REAL secrets are NOT what you think.

They are definitely not what those who are happy to "sell" you a secret will tell you.

In january 2007 I had an Instant Message conversation with a new, young internet marketer who was currently in college at the time.

he found and purchased the right to resell an ebook that tells how to make all kinds of money in a short amount of time.

He said he was having money problems, so he needed to make a lot of money, and fast.

He said he didn't want to just "get his feet wet"

He said he wanted to be successful and "take off with this stuff"

I told him there were 3 things he needed to do...and they are the 3 things that most do NOT do.

After talking to him, there was a fourth I later told him about.

I see post after post, on forum after forum of people who are frustrated they are not making the "easy" money of Internet Marketng.

some for YEARs and not quite "making it"

some spend $1000s on ebooks, videos and courses

only to end up frustrated and out of money

In the end...I see IMers are just like any other entrepreneur...who is striving to start a business.

There are 4 Foundational KEYS To Succuess

these 4 keys will not be done by 90% of those who want to get into this field

I bet 90% of the people who read this post wont do it either

That means, odds are, you are likely one of them who will laugh, taunt, scoff, deny or just outright ignore what I am writing.

Note: You can't do 1 and not the other 3, you can't do 3 and not the other 1

you must do them all, or be stuck in the land of mediocrity

if you think you are ready...hang on, here they are

Key 1) Make a budget

Inevitably, someone will ask you what your budget is for this or that.

"I havent thought of one", "I don't have one", "whatever it takes" etc are all cop outs and are the result of someone TOO LAZY to make a budget or has ZERO DOLLARS.

It does NOT matter how much it is, but you should have a SPECIFIC amount set aside to do your project. Be it $10 or $10,000...have it available, up front.

Break your budget into unequal 3rds (whether you do it yourself or outsource, there will be expenses)

1/3 - Development/setup/Production (programming, writing, plr, editing, etc)
    1/3 - Marketing - (ppc, jv, print, myspace)
    1/3 - Maintenance (responder, shopping cart, hosting)

your budget wont be equal parts for each! But just make sure there are 3 parts allocated.

The idea is to make sure you account for all the aspects

what??!!

No one told you it takes money to do this stuff??

Well, it does..or at least the resources/ingenuity to get those things that cost money.

KEY 2) a Written Plan

A plan "in your head" is not enough. WRITTEN is the key

Why?

Because, it forces you to think and research and actually map out your budget.

You should have a marketing plan and a marketing calendar to track your marketing efforts.

The old saying holds true

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Those who fail to plan, are planning to fail
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its not about being long, wordy, fancy or elaborate.

It IS about having a road map that covers all the bases so you can be PREPARED for what comes next.

Ever notice how many forum posts go something like this:

"Hi,

I just started a (blog, website, business), and I have done (this, that and the other thing). Can someone tell me what to do next? how do I ________?"

Well, that person definitely does NOT have a plan.

When you have a plan, you are ALREADY PREPARED for "what do I do next"

You know when to do it and how much it costs, because you already researched it, and WROTE IT DOWN.

You spend more time WORKING THE PLAN, then figuring out what "to do next"

A plan also allows you to gauge your pace and level of success. Are you on track, off track, behind schedule or ahead of it?

How will you know without a plan?

Here is a quote from me that summarizes this

quote:
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to Improve something you cannot track or measure, and its almost impossible to measure something withou a plan

Which of these things is completed successfully with quality and has no written plan

A College Degree
    Building A House
    Starting A Business
    Retirement
    A Bus Route
    An Airplane Flight Path

TRICK QUESTION

The answer is NONE OF THE ABOVE.

If you ever see a successful model of one of the above...someone, somewhere wrote down a plan.

Would you spend your money to be involved with any of the above, if you knew the people in charge had NO PLAN???

Key 3) Get A Mentor/Coach

If you think this is an expense you can not afford..then YOU ARE IGNORANT...not stupid, just ignorant of the truth that coaching, like advertising is not an expense, but an investment.

The truth is YOU CANNOT afford NOT to have a mentor/coach..not if you want to achieve greatness...if OPRAH has a coach...don't you need one?

Every champion has a coach...EVERY, single one of them.

Now, if you are fortunate enough to get one to do it for free...then count your blessings and do not abuse the relationship...follow instructions to the letter.

I was helping a young woman start her PR business, so she could quit her school teacher job. She didnt do the homework assigned, missed appointments, and worked on everything except getting her business together. Despite me sternly telling her to start taking this serious several times, and giving FREE sessions (including after hours), and REFERRALS...she refused to appreciate the situation.

I charge $150 per hour for coaching...She was getitng it free, after hours, PLUS she was getting new business from me.

When I told her I would no longer do it, because she was not taking it seriously, she cried.

But the fact is, there are people who APPRECIATE what I do AND PAY ME, and so there was no point wasting my time on someone not serious about their goals.

Now you may think it was because she was getting coaching for free...it was not. I fire PAYING clients who do not follow directions also...it's a waste of my time and energy.

I only want to help those who WANT to be helped.

My time is important to me, and I demand it be respected...the same as I respect others time. Regardless of how much money is involved, if any at all.

The truth is many people SAY they want to be successful, but are not truly willing to do what it takes.

If you find a coach or mentor - appreciate and respect them!

Their time is valuable and they will help you:

==Save Money (they know where to get things for the best price and quality...you don't)
    ==Make Money (they know the tricks to increase performance..you don't)
    ==Get Free stuff (they know the secrets...you don't)
    ==Succeed (they have been there, done that, got a T-shirt and taught a class about it...you have not!)

Having a Mentor or Coach is a crucial step that many overlook, and therefore beat their head against the wall over and over again wondering why they don't get anywhere.

KEY 4) Operate with integrity

Don't tell people how to make $284,432.21 in 30 days, and don't attempt to sell something that tells how to...if you have not done this yourself!

So let's go back to the Instant Message Conversation for a moment.

I asked the young man, since he has money problems, why doesn't he just follow the advice in the ebook he is selling...here is an excerpt of our dialogue (igrowyourbiz is my screenname, his screenname blocked out for privacy):

======================

[15:26] igrowyourbiz: if you are in need of money, why arent you doing what you have outlined in your ebook?
    [15:27] igrowyourbiz: ?
    [15:28] HIM: I have had friends that have made money using what is discussed in the ebook, but I have not implemented it myself yet. I'm trying to promote the ebook.
    [15:28] igrowyourbiz: how do you know it works if you have not done it
    [15:29] HIM: Current Buyers have bought the ebook, implemented it, then wrote me back emails.
    [15:29] HIM: Then, some close friends have used it.[15:29] igrowyourbiz: i would caution you about trying to tell someone how to do something, you have not done
    [15:30] HIM: Ok, Thanks for the advice!
    ======================

Is that not one of the most ridiculous things you have heard???

Hey, sorry to be so blunt, but if you do not see whats wrong with the above response he gave, then its because YOU think the same way.

There is an old saying

quote:
    Never Take Advice from a Bald man on how to grow hair.

All I am saying is, it is gonna be hard for you to convince someone how to make money online, if you can't do it yourself.

NOTE: this may present a CATCH-22

You might be thinking...

"then how do i sell IM products, if I have to be successful first?"

The answer is actually simple...sell something you are knowlegeable about.

If you are not knowlegeable..then do whats in the ebook/product etc FIRST and THEN sell/tell others how to do it.

Or simply try selling a product like hosting or software or something else that is not based off of "experience".

I am just saying you need to BE REAL...or you can not truly expect to be successful...if you lie, you're just a scammer.

Now, of course there are some other keys to success...but these are the foundation

These 4 are REQUIRED...like basic math...

If you can't understand

1+1=2

&

1-1=0

Then money, geometry, calculus, royalties, percentages and any other higher maths just won't make sense...because the more complex areas of math, all boil down to the simple concept of 1+1 and 1-1.

You can't multiply if you cannot add...
    You cannot divide if you cannot subtract...
    You cannot exponentially equate if you cannot multiply...
    You cannot geometrically equate if you cannot divide...

and so on and so on.

Likewise, if you don't know the 4 Basic Keys, you cannot be successful in business.

Forget about it.

See, many are mistakenly under the impression they just need ONE thing.

And their sheer willpower or desire will be enough to make up for the rest.

WRONG!

They feel all they need is this one thing, they have been missing. Man, you are so sure, if you had the ONE THING, you would be a superstar! The magic bullet!

Maybe you think its a good JV partner with a huge list!

or maybe a great product no one else has yet!

or maybe you think its your own list you need!

or all you need is a little more money so you can hire a good writer to help you make a kick butt sales letter!

WRONG!

Forget all about the following:

=guerrilla marketing
    =JV
    =List building
    =delegation
    =outsourcing
    =research
    =sales letters
    =back end sales
    =one time offers
    =affiliate
    =niches
    =blogs
    =web 2.0
    =squeeze pages
    =viral videos
    =social bookmarking
    =sales funnels
    =memberships

and all the many other things that in reality, you DO, in fact, need to know...

The problem is...

if you don't have the foundation outlined above... NONE of those things will work for you.

There is no magic bullet!

People are looking for the ONE THING.

Whats the BEST place to advertise?

Whats Better a blog or a forum?

Whats the BEST place to get hosting?

Whats the best EBOOK to sell?

***NEWSFLASH***

THERE IS NO ONE BEST THING FOR ANYTHING IN BUSINESS!

Success comes from a series of little things, that when all are working together as a whole, they bring about a specific goal.

My prayer is that this will open the eyes of at least ONE person and help them to see they need a foundational change to move towards making their dream a reality.

If 10 million other people read this and ignore it, I will be happy for the one.

HERE is the bottom line...

its about taking ACTION

Now the lazy man in you may have a "YEAH BUT" or "WHAT ABOUT" or "THATS NOT TRUE BECAUSE" comment...

You probably will come up with a far fetched example of "SO and SO did this without that?"

The fact is you're not where you want to be, and havent yet figured out how to get there..so I am not the one who is wrong...its you.

I challenge any SUCCESSFUL "guru" to tell you any different. They will all tell you its the same as I have written.

It starts with your thinking,

and moves to your action.

At the point of action,

you need the above 4 to achieve success and achieve it rapidly.

If you do the same thing that everyone else does..,

well just be prepared to get the same results as everyone else...and from the looks of the majority of posts on many internet forums...that strategy wont be "getting" you a whole lot.

If you want to get something DIFFERENT than everyone else (i.e. success)...you need to do something different.

You already know most people wont do the 4 things I listed here...

you also can see what they are (not) getting.

So, the question is:

what will you get?

Will you do what the others won't, in order to get what they don't?

Remember to Picture Your Success!

©2007 Maurice Evans. All rights reserved.
    Last edited by r937; Jun 30, 2008 at 20:37.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In january 2007 I had an Instant Message conversation with a new, young internet marketer who was currently in college at the time.
    Old news. The Internet has changed since then. I blame Al Gore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    Old news. The Internet has changed since then. I blame Al Gore.

lol...uh yah...sure whatever you say

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure the internet has changed since then but the article above is about business. Many people somehow think that an online business doesn't need to fit "regular" business rules. They think something magical happens when computers are involved. And that's just silly of course.

Pretty good article. Thanks.
    - Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your welcome robert and thank you

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to check out your site ("Business Coaching" in your sig) but for Opera it takes me to /MobileDefault.aspx and gives an error page. Just letting you know.
    - Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your the first to notify us of that, thank you, the error has been corrected

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this thread is one of the most important threads I have read in a long time.

thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by izzmeister View Post
    I think this thread is one of the most important threads I have read in a long time.

thank you!
    thank you...

hopefully many take it to heart and make a change

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to read this several times, just feels like an infomercial. I wouldn't of even attempted to read it of other site point members hadn't left a comment. I actually thought this was spam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binarysys View Post
    I tried to read this several times, just feels like an infomercial. I wouldn't of even attempted to read it of other site point members hadn't left a comment. I actually thought this was spam.
    Yeah so did I. It's not the easiest piece of prose to digest. There are a few good points, but I also agree that the internet has moved on since '07

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad you guys were pleasantly surprised.

Most people though say it's an easy read.

also, its not about the internet, its about any business endeavor, so while the "internet" may have moved on...these principles have not and are STILL the keys to success

I have watched it for 15 years...those that do, have all the success they can handle, those that don't complain and make excuses..but they never achieve to their full potential

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much! I already have a mentor and now I'm feeling optimistic ... just got to write that plan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is awesome you have a mentor...that shows you are teachable.

Ask your mentor to help you make your plan, they will in the least help you structure a basic outline

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with getting a "coach" is that it's like hiring a consultant...it's a crap shoot
    cause half these guys don't know what's right for you.

They may know what's right for them, but knowing what's right for you and
    your situation is a whole different story. Another few thousand bucks flushed...

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It isn't exactly a secret that to be successful you need a plan... I am not sure why you are making it out to be something revolutionary, and the only thing controvercial about your post is the bit about hiring a "coach", personally I think it is pointless to hire someone if you understand the industry you are working in well... And yes that post does read like a commercial for one of those get rich quick scheme websites

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy is setting himself up to be a coach or a consultant.
    I think he said he charges $150 per hour, er something like that.

Hey, I'm a coach too! Pay me $150 per hour and I'll tell you
    all kinds of positive crap to make you feel good about shelling
    out a bunch of money. And, it's a tax write off business expense!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I doubt he could get away with those kinds of rates in todays competitive market unless he is the Jakob Nielson of marketing.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a budget, a written plan, or a mentor/coach. I'm successful.

I hate reading stuff written for new "internet marketers". I have a feeling this post, which I realize is a year old, reads the same as the first pages of the book the guy from the IM conversation was selling.

My advice to anyone that reads this kind of thing hoping to figure out why they're not successful in their online ventures stop reading it. Don't go to the IM forums, don't buy the ebooks, don't buy the video courses, don't pay to attend the webinars.

If you feel the need to buy something to better yourself, make it a book. One about business, not "internet marketing". Something like "The E-Myth Revisited", or "Relevance".

Doing business online is no different than doing it offline. You have an idea to solve a problem, and create a solution. You go out and find ways to reach people that have that problem and get your solution in front of them. You test the approach and refine based on the results. If it works, you refine and put more money into it, if it doesn't, you figure out why and adapt.

It's not about list building, squeeze pages, keywords, article directories, PageRank, or any of that other garbage. If you actually have a site or product that answers someone's need, and you can get it in front of those people, the rest of it falls into place.
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; May 4, 2009 at 03:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Richards View Post
    Problem with getting a "coach" is that it's like hiring a consultant...it's a crap shoot
    cause half these guys don't know what's right for you.

They may know what's right for them, but knowing what's right for you and
    your situation is a whole different story. Another few thousand bucks flushed...
    you have defined a consultant perfectly..but there is a HUGE difference between a coach and a consultant. Coaches have been there and done that, and they don't give theory. They teach you how to be the best you can be. Thats what they do...HELP OTHERS achieve success...that is NOT a consultant and not to be confused.

Any coach worth his salt will have a verifiable track record of experience in whatever he is coaching.

and as far as all the naysayers....name ONE person...who has a HIGH level of success (millions) that DID NOT/DOES NOT have a coach.

You can't.

bill gates?
    oprah?
    steve case
    jeff bezos

Ever hear of them? they started with a dream (and interestingly enough all of them profess having plans and budgets) AND all had coaches and mentors to "take them to the next level"

Who would have someone build a house if they didnt have a plan?

only a fool says a plan is unnecessary for anything worthwhile..its an EXCUSE of the lazy.

Who can shop for a car without a budget? You have to kno whow much you can spend, or else you will waste all day on the new mercedes lot, when you need to be in the used hyundai lot.

In the end this is common sense to anyone who has experiecne and/or education.

But the truth is, many people only have "ideas"...and go out on their own, with no experience or related education...and think that "if they build it they will come"

More people are frustrated with attempts to build a business than not...read this very forum.

and yes i do charge $150 an hour (17-year provent track records let you do that) in THIS economy and people happily pay it, because as a "coach" (think of what a football coach does....not the same as a football "fan" or "consultant") delivers results.

Anyone who says

Mentors/Coaches
    Budgets
    Plans

are a waste of time...is foolish and has never helped anyone ELSE become successful.

and here is how i finally shut up all you "successful people"

$5000 says I can take a person with and use the principles listed above and get them to a measurable point of success....and YOU CAN NOT show them how to do the same by NOT using them.

put up or shut up.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igrowyourbiz.com View Post
    Anyone who says

Mentors/Coaches
    Budgets
    Plans

are a waste of time...is foolish and has never helped anyone ELSE become successful.

and here is how i finally shut up all you "successful people"

$5000 says I can take a person with and use the principles listed above and get them to a measurable point of success....and YOU CAN NOT show them how to do the same by NOT using them.

put up or shut up.
    We need to become successful coaches or we're not successful? Who here said they want to be a coach?

You have no right to tell anyone here to shut up. This isn't your sales letter, it's a forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i never said you had to become a coach, i said that a key principle to success is GETTING A COACH.

How much do you really believe in what you are saying?

I believe what I am saying enough to back it up with a $5000 challenge to anyone who says that a person with JUST AN IDEA AND SOME BOOKS, will do better than a person with a plan, budget and Mentor.

so...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    igrowyourbiz, Well not to but the afterburner on you but there are plenty of people here who have not had a mentor (myself included) and have achieved some form of success which in all respects could outweigh some people who chose to pay someone to give them advice and direction. So are you going to give us $5,000?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    igrowyourbiz, Well not to but the afterburner on you but there are plenty of people here who have not had a mentor (myself included) and have achieved some form of success which in all respects could outweigh some people who chose to pay someone to give them advice and direction. So are you going to give us $5,000?

a quick scan of the forum shows its not "plenty"...a handful maybe...and half those are pretty exaggerated

of course there are exceptions...and this was not meant to be a rule

as stated they are KEYS...and yes 98% of peopel who fail, due so because of a lack of the above.

The myth is you can start with NOTHIGN but an idea, and become successful

I bet if i asked you some key quetions, you had some things in place that most do not that helped lead to your success.

again, it never ceases to amaze me how this is such an informative site, yet the forums are filled with such contrararians.

suddenly plans are bad

budget are bad

and mentors are bad

really? we DON'T need those? next time you go to the hostpital, ask for the guy with nothing but an idea on how to do surgery..never when to school (plan and budget) and never did a residency (mentorship)

it is UTTERLY ridiculuous to somehow find fault in the above..other than as I said...to be contrarian.

I'm done...feel free to express how much society would be better if no one had a mentor, and never botherd to "plan" anything

be sure to show them how to do it too....wait, that might be mistaken for a plan or coaching...better yet...don't just tell them to just "go with the flow"