User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Move public_html folder

Hi all,

I have recently registered a new dedicated server, I am trying to move some sites over. Essentially, what I am trying to do is copy the public_html folder from one server to another.

I have root access on both accounts, I have managed to move the whole home folder from the old to the new, but I guess I would need to download all 2gigs worth of data then upload again, or is it possible to extract only the information you need from the compressed backup.

I am thinking that specifying data from an uncompressed folder wouldn't be possilbe, so, is there a way of moving certain folders from one server to another via SSH?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have got up to the following using a different approach:

1. Copy the compressed backup from old to new server
    2. On new server, extract the backup

I figured that if I extract to a temp folder on the new server, I could just move the folders manually to the correct location (via SSH), for some reason though, when I extract the compressed folder, something strange happens, here is the new structure for the location it extracted to:

/temp/b/l/blenserver/public_html/backup.tar.gz

blendserver is one of the accounts, but as you can see, it just extracts the backup again, none of the folders etc.

Have I missed something?

Thanks