SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, am a blogger fan, and hence would be biased, if I were to give an opinion on other similar platforms. But they say wordpress is also good as it gives you more freedom.

Just download the below handbook - It gives you a peep into blogging and blogging services

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by comic25 View Post
    Personally, am a blogger fan, and hence would be biased, if I were to give an opinion on other similar platforms. But they say wordpress is also good as it gives you more freedom.

Just download the below handbook - It gives you a peep into blogging and blogging services

Sure each one of us have our opinions. Wordpress is winning of the 2 for its freedom of customization as you said.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hemanthjava View Post
    Sure each one of us have our opinions. Wordpress is winning of the 2 for its freedom of customization as you said.
    Exactly. I'll also vote for Wordpress for those same reasons.

SitePoint Enthusiast trishacupra's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Self-hosted WordPress, every time.
    Trisha Cupra, Web Design Watchdog
    Protecting website owners from the most painful online mistakes

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trishacupra View Post
    Self-hosted WordPress, every time.
    :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For free bloggin i would say blogger!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathew88 View Post
    For free bloggin i would say blogger!
    Even wordpress is free.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but you cant change the templates of edit the code on wordpress! Also you cant display adesense on it! I think the people voting for wordpress where voting for wordpress.org(paid version) not wordpress.com (free version)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathew88 View Post
    Yes but you cant change the templates of edit the code on wordpress! Also you cant display adesense on it! I think the people voting for wordpress where voting for wordpress.org(paid version) not wordpress.com (free version)
    oh Thank you Mathew. Very true. People are voting for the self hosted wordpress.org and not wordpress.com . Well so you think blogger is better then wordpress.com . Ok. One thing I know for sure is the way the google adsense code gets perfectly blended with Blogger.

Regards,
    Hemanth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Self hosted wordpress is the best blogging platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want free -- Blogger is my choice.

90% of my blgs are self-hosted Wordpress -- easy to use, can find lots of themes for free if you want to jazz up the blog and great plugins available.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smtm View Post
    If you want free -- Blogger is my choice.

90% of my blgs are self-hosted Wordpress -- easy to use, can find lots of themes for free if you want to jazz up the blog and great plugins available.
    Hi there. I have a self hosted wordpress. I had like to know your findings of good themes for our blog. I am in the lookout for some quality free themes.

And wordpress self hosted is my choice of the lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a favorite free theme site.

Sometimes I do a search "free wordpress theme" or another technique I use is this...if I see another wordpress blog that strikes my interest I see if there are any wordpress theme credits at the bottom, click the link and see if the designer has more or I DL the one I saw and edited it -- give a different look.

Hi there. I have a self hosted wordpress. I had like to know your findings of good themes for our blog. I am in the lookout for some quality free themes.

And wordpress self hosted is my choice of the lot.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have looked at alot of blogging platforms like movable type, wordpress and blogger for example and from personal experience I have found Wordpress has more to offer and more free support. The plugins that are available make them a very good choice as well.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am a blogger user since it was launched. so, it means my vote goes to blogger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another vote for WordPress! I use it to build all-sorts of sites, not just blogs!!

When deciding on a platform you need to look at:

- Is there any cost? (No, WordPress is FREE WITH NO COMMERCIAL VERSION AVAILABLE OR PLANNED!!)
    - Is it east to update (Yes, WordPress is VERY easy!)
    - Is it well supported (Yes, WordPress has a huge, friendly community)
    - It is regularly updated (Yes, WordPress dev team is commited to new releases every 3-4 months)
    - Is it easy to modify (Oh yes, the template system is easy to understand as is the plugin architecture)
    - Is there lots of plugins and themes to use (Yes, there are LOADS!!)

Self-hosted WordPress gives you a great platform for any sort of website - I'm no coding guru, but have been able to build some quite complex sites that are easy to maintain both content and code-wise.
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnya View Post
    Here's another vote for WordPress! I use it to build all-sorts of sites, not just blogs!!

When deciding on a platform you need to look at:

- Is there any cost? (No, WordPress is FREE WITH NO COMMERCIAL VERSION AVAILABLE OR PLANNED!!)
    - Is it east to update (Yes, WordPress is VERY easy!)
    - Is it well supported (Yes, WordPress has a huge, friendly community)
    - It is regularly updated (Yes, WordPress dev team is commited to new releases every 3-4 months)
    - Is it easy to modify (Oh yes, the template system is easy to understand as is the plugin architecture)
    - Is there lots of plugins and themes to use (Yes, there are LOADS!!)

Self-hosted WordPress gives you a great platform for any sort of website - I'm no coding guru, but have been able to build some quite complex sites that are easy to maintain both content and code-wise.
    You said it prefect mate. You have covered everything that a blog requires. I feel Wordpress is the best for its ease of customization, great collection of free plugins and templates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh - and one more final point for WordPress - did I mention it's easy to import and export content out of too! So if your stuck with another blog platform, it's easy to trasnfer your content into it... and in the very unlikely case you don't get on with WordPress, it's really easy to export out of too.

I've tried a-lot of blog platforms and believe me - WordPress has FAR fewer faults than any others I tried!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress pages are best for seo

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh - and one more final point for WordPress - did I mention it's easy to import and export content out of too! So if your stuck with another blog platform, it's easy to trasnfer your content into it... and in the very unlikely case you don't get on with WordPress, it's really easy to export out of too.

I've tried a-lot of blog platforms and believe me - WordPress has FAR fewer faults than any others I tried!!
    Thats a very very valid point. You can export to or import from other blogs. And the best part is you can backup the database also in scheduled intervals. Man! WORDPRESS has everything that a webmaster would require and it is still free of cost.

A Holistic SEO Approach
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a very very valid point. You can export to or import from other blogs. And the best part is you can backup the database also in scheduled intervals. Man! WORDPRESS has everything that a webmaster would require and it is still free of cost.
    Why more web designers don't use WordPress still amazes me. I had a recent discussion about this with a designers and we was very surprised. He still codes almost everything.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Mountain View View Post
    Why more web designers don't use WordPress still amazes me. I had a recent discussion about this with a designers and we was very surprised. He still codes almost everything.
    :-) Amazes me too. But to think of it, A blog does not behave like a site. Historically Blogs were meant to be more like a personal diary maintained by individuals. Now the whole meaning of blogging has changed and its becoming commercial.

Sites are still meant to be more commercial and each page would describe a particular topic in DETAIL and not a collection of topics. So some site owners decide to create a site on a requirement basis. A blog can't replace a site in every situation. And coming to contacting designers for blogging. We still need a designer to customize out blogs or making a better design. But this is relatively lesser work effort then a full fledge website design. But I think Wordpress has unbelievable power and everyone should tap its potential as early as possible.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress is my favorite. It's easy to use and many useful plugins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :-) A blog can't replace a site in every situation. And coming to contacting designers for blogging. We still need a designer to customize out blogs or making a better design.
    I beg to differ... I really do, no offense! I have a-lot of experience with WordPress (over 3 years now) and have built all-sorts of sites with it!

WordPress has for a long time now had the usual blog 'posts' structure, and also 'pages' which act as standard web pages. You can easily create a custom page template for individual pages, and then chuck in any code you like pretty much - leaving the actual 'content management' for content... not complex bits of code!! In'fact, you could use WordPress and just create pages, no posts and very easily have a 'normal' website!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I beg to differ... I really do, no offense! I have a-lot of experience with WordPress (over 3 years now) and have built all-sorts of sites with it!

WordPress has for a long time now had the usual blog 'posts' structure, and also 'pages' which act as standard web pages. You can easily create a custom page template for individual pages, and then chuck in any code you like pretty much - leaving the actual 'content management' for content... not complex bits of code!! In'fact, you could use WordPress and just create pages, no posts and very easily have a 'normal' website!
    I got that. Thanks. I was always under the impression that normal sites make better web sites then blog sites. But Among the blogs that I have considered in the poll, wordpress is by far the best of all blogs.

Great for;

• Customization
    • SEO
    • Advertising on Blog
    • Revenue Generation
    • and an amzing collection of Plugins

My own poll has Wordpress as a winner...