May I ask how unsecure is HostGator?
    Honest Web Host Reviews - Check Web Hosting
    Over 1700 Web Host. Pure user reviews.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had lots of my friends tell me not to use Hostgator because they are bad, but I've been using them for over two years and have never had any major problems. The minor ones that cropped up from my stupidity were immediately resolved over the live chat. I would recommend them.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them as well and have to say there pretty good and always reliable,my site was always up and running there prices are the best in the game too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lot of praises for hostgator I see
    From my shared and dedicated hosting experience with them, they are just a OK-type hosting. Good for price we pay I would say, certainly not the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put my most valuable site on hostgator because I know they will take care of it. The site will stay up, the company is solid and they have people who know what they are doing.

The only thing that irritates me about them is that they occasionally automatically upgrade my account and then tell me about it. I have to 'catch' their email and go to their site to cancel the upgrade.

I've have some really bad experiences with other smaller sites who messed up royally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dyfuCa View Post
    That's like getting tax bill from the IRS (you break out in a nervous sweat).

If you actually had usage that high and it wasn't a mistake, then that is one thing.

If it was indeed actual use, I hope your income went up enough to more than cover it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dyfuCa View Post
    Hostgator have a record of warning you and of a subsequent reply from yourself. They've just replied to your thread.

I appreciate it must be difficult to pay such a quantity of money extra but I think it only fair that people hear both sides of the story. I have a hostgator account and have never had any problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cheap, fairly good support. Slooooooooooooooooooooooow!!!!

The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. It all very good have unlimited space & unlimited bandwidth etc but if you pages take 4 hours to load them its a complete waste of time.

If you have a small simple site such as a few pages with no databases then it probably worth it, however if you have larger sites that use databases etc then I wouldnt recommend them.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have small sites there, with databases, and they run just fine. If you have huge traffic, $8 hosting just won't cut it, anywhere you go.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am most satisfied with hostgator is that, Host a very good stability, few problems since I creat the site! good customer service , the problem is satisfactorily resolved. Highly cost-effective!I have a few sites, are now on hostgator!
    Love computers,to play Warcraft longing for happy healthy life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hostgator is the best. The online support is just simply terrific.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have faced trouble due to a really slow response in support.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had Hostgator for over ten years now. Flawless service. Excellent support. The cPanel auto installs most features in seconds. Free website building tools and templates. I love them.
    Free Web-IT Step By Step Video Lessons. http://webitgeek.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webitgeek View Post
    I've had Hostgator for over ten years now. Flawless service. Excellent support. The cPanel auto installs most features in seconds. Free website building tools and templates. I love them.
    over 10 years? they were established in 2002....
    Web Banner Design
    -------------------------------------
    Banner Design | File Hosting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok sorry, 7 years now...and the service is still flawless.
    Free Web-IT Step By Step Video Lessons. http://webitgeek.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast Tony Frost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been with for about 6 mths, service was ok until now...

As of today, their own website is down, all my sites are down, can't FTP, can't get into CPanel.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm sure everyone has heard of HostGator - they're one of the larger hosting companies out there, offering shared, reseller, and dedicated servers, and various other services. From my experience with other webmasters, it seems to be either a love or hate relationship concerning HostGator. I've been with them for 3 years now, and I have had nothing but good experiences. Here are the things that I like most:

• HostGator is a large company, and stable - they're not going anywhere. After just having one of my other hosts completely fall off the face of the earth (taking my sites with them), having this peace of mind is definitely a plus
    • Their personal service is great - for the amount of clients they have, their ability to give timely personal service is excellent in my opinion. Their email response may not be as fast as some of the smaller hosts, but it is certainly not unreasonable. I've always gotten a timely, helpful reply - not something that just says "look at faq #12". I definitely get the feeling that I'm talking to a real person and not just some support staff member that wants to get rid of me fast.
    • Piggybacking off of my last point, I feel like HostGator values each customer, big or small, and pays them all the same amount of time. When I first went there, I only purchased their smallest shared $4.95/month plan. However, I had a couple of databases to transfer over. At my discretion (as I was a lot less technical back then), I gave a HostGator support staff member a limited username/pass to my cPanel, and he took care of everything for me - downloading the database and files, transfering them over to HostGator, and making sure they were up and running properly. A lot of time spent for a smaller customer
    • You get a bunch with their plans. I think they offer some of the most competitive plans on the market. A lot of hosts will give big numbers, but you quickly realize that you don't actually get that. I've never had a problem with my server resourcess.
    • Great uptime - my last host, although promising 99% uptime, really only stood at about 94%. In the 3 years i've been with HostGator, I think i've been unable to access my site 3 times, and each of those times lasted for less than 5 minutes.
    • They keep up with the technologies - for example, PHP 5. I know a lot of hosts still are not upgrading to PHP 5. But HostGator is fairly quick to upgrade to the newest stable versions.

Well that's the good stuff. As for the bad stuff, I honestly can't think of any - my experience has been all positive. I guess the only thing I would like to see is faster email response, but like I said, they're response isn't slow - I was just used to a much smaller host that didn't have the volume of emails that they do.

I'm sure people here have had bad experiences with HostGator, and I would be interested to hear about them. However, in my book, they are definitely recommended
    im also using it for last 2 years as far as my experience with the hosting company they rocks man thinking to buy my 3rd account from them...

SitePoint Enthusiast thomasfrank09's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Hostgator. Particularly the Fantastico installer they provide. I had so much trouble installing things like Joomla and wordpress on my last host.
    I run the blog College Info Geek.

You can find me at:
    My personal site | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very fast. I've not come across any sizable lag.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just started using Hostgator for about 2 months and I agree with everything said here. Their support is excellent and I like it too that I get to speak to people who know how to solve my problem each time I have one.
    Learn all the safety features of Gas Fireplace Heaters

SitePoint Zealot digital_shubhi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also satisfied with hostgator !

Its simply the best !

- Digital -

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never got a problem with them. Moreover they have patience to handle my problems in time. I have 3 different accounts and will take couple more fo my rest sites. I can easily recommend them to anyone.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Hostgator and have nothing but good experiences with them. They're customer service is fast and helpful. Id recommend them to anyone.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think hostgator is a good host.