SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast WickedGoddess's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the comments are related to the blog, either be bad or good I just let them be... Not everyone agrees to what we post and it's better to know how people would react.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in a hart beat

bobkat

A Holistic SEO Approach
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post
    in a hart beat

bobkat
    In like a New York Minute!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like That Better

Bobkat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the comment is totally idiotic, I might think about deleting it but then I always end up not doing it. Comments like that are meant to just get attention and possible click-throughs but I also think that it spurs on discussion (even if it does end up in a flame war LOL) so I just let them be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a lot of negative comments (for whatever reason).

I absolutely allow negative or even rude comments, but I delete anything that goes too far and has strong personal attacks or is slanderous with false accusations or lies. I've had some comments that were so rude and personal you wouldn't believe it.

As long as somebody writes their negative comment and doesn't get too personal or says lies about me, I'm fine with it. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion...
    Tyler Cruz
    TylerCruz.com
    PublisherSpot.com: Professional Reviews of Ad Networks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I delete them for sure. I don't even allow them to be posted. I require moderation on comments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I don't delete anything. Coz nobody comment on my blog.

Just kidding.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't delete negative comments unless it is obvious the person is spamming. Sometimes it is nice to see both sides of an arguement

A Holistic SEO Approach
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IC_IC View Post
    I don't delete negative comments unless it is obvious the person is spamming. Sometimes it is nice to see both sides of an arguement
    For me a different point of view is not necessarily negative. It's rude and crude where I draw the line.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously it's a matter of choice and function. On the two blogs I've just set up (which haven't had time to build a community yet), the users will be primarily discussing political issues, so I expect a certain amount of debate and dissension. I set down clear guidelines in the About page--no rudeness, no personal attacks, no flaming, no trolls, no spamming, no slander, no this, no that. I have no intention of constraining discussion along partisan or ideological lines, but I've seen too many blogs and forums turn into flame pits. It will not happen in mine. I won't hesitate to delete a post and block a user. If need be, I will enable moderation. I'd rather have 5-10 posts a week of civilized conversation than 100 posts of "U suk!"-level comments. But that's for our purposes. Not everyone will observe the same guidelines.

I used to frequent an old CBS/Sports Illustrated college basketball forum that was not moderated, but had people keeping half an eye on things. It was fun pushing the envelope and occasionally getting banned, and the discussions were lively. When the powers-that-were suddenly imposed draconian new guidelines (the forum went family-friendly in a big way), we all migrated to a private, unmoderated, unregulated forum. We thought the community and camaraderie that had been built over the years would have held up. Nope. Within a few weeks the new forum devolved into a sewer.

Upshot: decide up front what you will and will not deal with, and (while remaining flexible and observant as to how things are developing and flowing) stick to your guns. When in doubt, moderate: never, ever underestimate how quickly things can go to hell if you let them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually do not delete negative comments (per se) or comments that disagree with my point of view or thoughts towards a subject. However, I have gotten quite a few comments before that look just like that the original posters and they seem to be more spam than anything. The comment is very vague, they do not use a real name and then they throw in a website link.

Like a few previous people said, if the commenter is adding to the discussion/topic then I am fine, but if they are just throwing up some spam to get another link then I delete it right away.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leoschmidt08 View Post
    I usually do not delete negative comments (per se) or comments that disagree with my point of view or thoughts towards a subject. However, I have gotten quite a few comments before that look just like that the original posters and they seem to be more spam than anything. The comment is very vague, they do not use a real name and then they throw in a website link. Like a few previous people said, if the commenter is adding to the discussion/topic then I am fine, but if they are just throwing up some spam to get another link then I delete it right away.
    "Negative" comments that disagree with someone else are not, as a rule, a problem. More often than not they contribute to, and sometimes drive, the conversation. Spam, however, must be deleted immediately, without warning.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i always delete anything off topic or blantant spam. Sadly that means i only get about 3 comments

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its out of the topic, then we should remove it. If its an opinion, then i guess its ok to publish it. We do have different views on each topic.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Max View Post
    "Negative" comments that disagree with someone else are not, as a rule, a problem. More often than not they contribute to, and sometimes drive, the conversation. Spam, however, must be deleted immediately, without warning.
    I completely agree!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had somebody post a comment which had a very valid point, unfortunately it was full of profanities. One of the few I have deleted.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    htpc...I would have just edited the profanities and left the rest of the comment intact. If it was a good comment, you could then still have it there. You could include an administrative comment as well.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure as heck do. They set the tone for your blog and no one likes complaining!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    htpc...I would have just edited the profanities and left the rest of the comment intact. If it was a good comment, you could then still have it there. You could include an administrative comment as well.
    Ah, good advice. thanks.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tauperkin View Post
    Didn't think of that... Nice! Don't mind me taking this advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    htpc & maporsche...you're welcome!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put my blog in moderate comment mode. Thru this, no matter how spammy they comment, their comment will not show in my blog post until i approve it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I do
    WPlancer.Com - PHP & WordPress Developer
    ProverbHunter - English Proverbs Explained

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I delete nasty comments, but not all comments. If someone just disagree with what I write, that's ok, as long as they aren't rude.