javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, nasty messages should be deleted and choose only pertinent opinions. Writing back means you're defending your opinion and it's a good way of bringing people to comment on your blog to share their insights. =)

A Holistic SEO Approach
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why all blogs should be moderated. It keeps out the junk and negative. I'm ok with different views telling someone there wrong and doing so rudely will not happen on my blogs.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had this problem. Knock on Wood

If I did I would of course delete it !!
    You Want to Learn how to Blog and make a Living with it ? Do you really ? Well Click here how to make money blogging

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i do, i rather moderate my blogs so that such people are ruled out. If they still comment, then simple deletion would do the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why all blogs should be moderated.
    I don't think all blogs need to be moderated. It certainly depends on the type of visitors you're attracting. I also think that most people don't have enough traffic coming to their blog to worry about comments, from what I've seen.

You need to make sure that you check comments daily, and delete any that need to be deleted, like threatening or profane ones. Askimet catches 99.9% of spam.

When I comment on a blog, I find it irritating if the blog comments are moderated. Is it just me? If you want me to join in the discussion of your blog and I comment, yet have to wait days to see my comments so others can respond, etc, then I won't come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its a very grey area and you have to be careful.

On blogs I have written in the past I generally delete obscene, rude, derogatory comments IF that have nothing to do with the post at hand.

I think that one of the best things about the internet is that people are allowed to express themselves freely in whatever manor they wish, its an extension of somebody's right to free speech and should not be restricted.

In my humble opinion you have to be careful that you are not editing or deleting a comment simply because it goes against what you think or believe. If the argument is on topic and not just an excuse to be rude then I think you should allow the comment to stand regardless of whether they like what you are saying or not. After all, they are just stirring debate which at the end of the day, is the whole point of a blog!

... thats just what I think anyway
    Neron-Fx
    Everytime a user opens Internet Explorer, a web developer dies...
    http://www.savethedevelopers.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that one of the best things about the internet is that people are allowed to express themselves freely in whatever manor they wish, its an extension of somebody's right to free speech and should not be restricted.
    Freedom of speech is granted in the US so persons can express themselves without government oppression or censorship.

Each entity running a website must know which laws oversee their site, if any.

But on a personal blog, no one has "freedom of speech" to say what they want, no matter what they want, on your site. There isn't anything that grants them this, as far as I know.

My original post was regarding a particular post I received that was rude, but the person wasn't there to add to the discussion. They just stumbled on the site and discussion while looking for something and felt the need to then express how they thought others there were stupid and pathetic. I see no reason why things like that should stay, necessarily.

Everyone knows that controversy and argument are much more entertaining to website visitors, in general. It's just more interesting to them. Everyone agreeing isn't stimulating or entertaining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tauperkin View Post
    My original post was regarding a particular post I received that was rude, but the person wasn't there to add to the discussion. They just stumbled on the site and discussion while looking for something and felt the need to then express how they thought others there were stupid and pathetic. I see no reason why things like that should stay, necessarily.

Everyone knows that controversy and argument are much more entertaining to website visitors, in general. It's just more interesting to them. Everyone agreeing isn't stimulating or entertaining.
    Then I agree with what you are saying, I think I misunderstood your original post . If they were just being rude for no good reason and not adding to the discussion then fair enough remove the post as its not relevant nor constructive. All I am saying is that if the argument was relevant to the topic but not necessarily 100% polite or well written then that alone is no reason not to allow the post. Just because someone has a different opnion or point of view to your own does not mean their argument or point is not valid. Some people struggle to express themselves and can come across as rude or inconsiderate but that does not necessarily mean that what they are saying is not a valid contribution to the discussion.
    Neron-Fx
    Everytime a user opens Internet Explorer, a web developer dies...
    http://www.savethedevelopers.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I am saying is that if the argument was relevant to the topic but not necessarily 100&#37; polite or well written then that alone is no reason not to allow the post. Just because someone has a different opnion or point of view to your own does not mean their argument or point is not valid. Some people struggle to express themselves and can come across as rude or inconsiderate but that does not necessarily mean that what they are saying is not a valid contribution to the discussion.
    Yes, I agree with you completely neron-fx.