SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Do you delete rude or irritation comments on your blog?

How do you manage the comments left on your blog?

Obviously, if there is something really crude or profane, I delete it. That rarely happens, and Askimet catches most of the spam.

But what if someone shows up on your blog and leaves a comment such as this:

"I just found this site while looking for something else. I can't believe you people are talking about widgets! How stupid!"

Something like that...

I think we all enjoy the discussions that blogs allow, but how far do you go in controlling the comments? Do you just delete anything you don't agree with? Or do you comment on the comments you don't agree with? Or do you just let the irritating, immature comments stay and let visitors decide whether to respond or not?

Just curious how you all handle things on your blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I delete anything very profane or off topic. I don't think my readers are interested in either.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I delete anything that is off topic, derogatory or rude. Such comments definitely don't lend credibility for readership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would probably delete it as well unless it lended something to the discussion. Rude and ugly comments aren't generally useful after all. But if other memebrs were already discussing it I might not.
    Homeward Bound Puppy now with a store!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the rest of what's been said. I also delete rude comments. I've got no problem if they're criticizing my post in a civilized way, but if it's rude I delete it.

I saw in a recent video that Tim Ferriss (of the 4 hour work week blog) doesn't allow negative comments to come in so that his haters can go rant somewhere else and that somehow gets his name/product out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw in a recent video that Tim Ferriss (of the 4 hour work week blog) doesn't allow negative comments to come in so that his haters can go rant somewhere else and that somehow gets his name/product out there.
    Interesting. I've always wondered whether people delete all negative comments on their blog. It's a way to make everything look the way you want.

Hmmmm....I guess I go back and forth on this issue. Is it simply editing to make your site look a certain way or is it censoring? Certainly there's nothing that says every comment has to stay. You get to make the call.

But if you delete everything that might be critical or negative, what effect does that have on credibility or reality? Know what I'm saying?

I know it's my blog and I set the rules...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are very rude, I would delete it if it looks very offense my blog. Negative comment which are made legitimate way would stay there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moderate my comments so I can decided first whether I will approve them or not. While I also disapprove some of them, it is always a case-to-case basis for me.

Around half a year ago, I made a post about allowing children to blog on my other blog and it had many negative comments, and some are really rude and very personal. Guess what? I approved all of them and the the pros commenters began to flow, until the comment section became a forum.

What have a got? A lot of friends and followers to my blog, adult and child bloggers alike.
    What did I learn? I learned how to reply on comments.

How To Reply On Comments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know...

I'm not sure that I think every single comment deserves a reply, let alone to be approved.

Everyone has an opinion these days and is eager to share it, whether it is pertinent or not.

Just because someone shows up on your blog and posts something, does that mean they deserve a reply?

GuardianAngel, number 2.0 on your list on your blog post How to Reply on Comments says even if they are commenting off-topic or on an unrelated issue, you should respond and point them in the right direction. I don't necessarily agree. First, that person probably won't be back, if they're that unfamiliar with navigating the web and paying attention. For the others that may come back or do read your blog, it's an interruption to the discussion: off topic and distracting to them.

I guess I just don't feel that every comment or opinion deserves the same weight or respect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because someone shows up on your blog and posts something, does that mean they deserve a reply?
    No, I would only reward them with a reply if they leave something worth replying to. I've seen bloggers reply to every single comment, and I think most people who leave comments would like a reply from the author, but like I say, "reward" them, make them work to grab your attention. Regular visitors will notice that you only reply to intelligent comments, so will then aim to grab your attention with good viable comments.

I would always let negative (obviously not profane) comments go, whether they're aimed at me or another comment. It fuels debate, and gives people more of a reason to come back.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tauperkin - You may be right about not coming back of a commenter who post an off-topic comment, but if he is asking a question not related to the topic, I think I should reply or at least guide him. I would like to call that courtesy.

htpc - I try to reply to every single comments but it does not mean I give rewards to a normal comment. However, I think it is my responsibility to at least thank him for taking time to read my posy and post a comment. Again, I would like to call that courtesy.

A Holistic SEO Approach
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely everything is moderated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But moderated how is the question A Mountain View.

Putting vulgar/obscene comments aside, since most everyone doesn't let those go through, what other comments do you approve?

Everything?
    Those that add to the discussion?

As per my original question posted, what comments do you delete and which stay? What's your criteria?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't delete anything.
    People have a lot of different thoughts, ideas and minds.
    If all write the same things, there will be no point for discussing. I like different comments, I prefer to quarrel with people and find out "the truth"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I prefer the term debate instead of quarrel. After all its our blog and reputation that is at stake.

I read from somewhere about a blogger who wished he did not put up an argument in his comments page. Now, he lost most of his followers. We cannot delete or edit posted comments, cant we?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know when people discuss "hot" topics sometimes they are quarreling... Aren't they?
    "I read from somewhere" - it sounds like the old friend of my step brother's wife said... I don't believe that this blogger lost most of his followers, but who knows, may be I'm mistaken
    About posted comments I can say only one thing - I can delete them, but had never done this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We cannot delete or edit posted comments, cant we?
    Yes, of course you can.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the blog really. If its more of a personal, fun blog, then I rarely delete comments. Although I don't run any informational blogs, if there were to be anything off-topic, I would probably delete them and warn the user.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My blogs aren't all that serious and I welcome opinions, so I usually accept comments.

But of course I set limits. I delete comments that are rude, profane, and unrelated to the topic at hand. If there is a link in the comment, I check that link first to see if the site is related to my post.

Comments that pose as disagreements and the start of a debate are welcome on my blogs. But they have to be on a level wherein respect is given to every one who commented. Like I said, opinions are welcome, but no profanity and respect should be given.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't delete comments which have profanity necessarily, but will delete comments that have nothing to do with the blog post. If the comment is on topic, I usually leave it.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a great post from Darren Rowse of Problogger that I think is valuable for all of us regarding comments - 10 Ways to Hurt Your Blog’s Brand by Commenting on Other Blogs

1. Excessive use of Signatures
    2. Excessive Self Linking
    3. One or Two word Comments
    4. Not Reading Posts Before Commenting
    5. Flaming and Personal Attack
    6.’Anonymous’ Flaming
    7. Always Being First To Comment
    8. Dominating Comment Threads
    9. Keyword Stuffed Names
    10. Not adding value to the Comments

Enjoy reading!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No - I don't usually delete it - if it has something to do with the blog-post. Instead I fire off a reply post. But if it was something profane or adult based, I remove it.

A Holistic SEO Approach
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just deleted a negative comment without hesitation. It some one wants to be rude and arrogant they can do so on their own blog, just not mine. This is not a stand alone blog it is part of a larger website that is B2B.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course if it's a rude, obscene, ill-mannered, degrading and nonsense - i delete it. but if the poster commented something negative or contradicting, i usually post it to give chance to publish his/her opinion on a certain topic on my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately I don't receive any irritative comments on my blog! I try to post intetersing articles that provoke thoughts and opinions but not annoyance!