SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What is the best Payment option to receive payment for a sold website?

As the title says, I would like to know what is the best payment processor to receive payment for a sold website.

What could be done if in case if I sell my website and my buyer pays thought PayPal and after some days he charges back or files a dispute?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well paypal does not really deal with non-physical purchases much as far as filing a complaint (Sorry can't remember exactly what they call it)

However if someone pays you via paypal using a credit card and then file a chargeback through the credit card company it WILL come back to you and you will be responsible to take it up with paypal.

Depending on how much money we are talking here a bank wire would probably be my best suggestion, or a check which you wait until clears before transferring any ownership of your site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you mean when my buyer charges back, they directly come to me to explain the reason or they inform to Paypal and then we have to deal with Paypal.

I think Paypal doesn't guarantee virtual products. DO they count website in that list?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cool_fs4u View Post
    do you mean when my buyer charges back, they directly come to me to explain the reason or they inform to Paypal and then we have to deal with Paypal.

I think Paypal doesn't guarantee virtual products. DO they count website in that list?
    Yes, say you sell me a website for $100. I pay you via paypal pulling funds directly from my Mastercard. After you transfer the site to me I call up Mastercard and say 'cool_fs4u never sent me what I purchased' the Mastercard is going to chargeback Paypal who will end up charging you.

You could probably get out of paying it in the long run but it would be a huge headache.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OKIHost View Post
    Yes, say you sell me a website for $100. I pay you via paypal pulling funds directly from my Mastercard. After you transfer the site to me I call up Mastercard and say 'cool_fs4u never sent me what I purchased' the Mastercard is going to chargeback Paypal who will end up charging you.

You could probably get out of paying it in the long run but it would be a huge headache.

Can you like put the database files on e-junkie so that PayPal can know that it`s a virtual file?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ask for a bank cheque and then sell website...the best way....

second thing is take cash

third is keep domain name under your company name, give the website to client but take back up copy as well...once you receive money then transfer domain name to your client's name...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piyush_kotadiya View Post
    ask for a bank cheque and then sell website...the best way....

second thing is take cash

third is keep domain name under your company name, give the website to client but take back up copy as well...once you receive money then transfer domain name to your client's name...
    do you advice giving database through e-junkie

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I of course am an E-junkie advocate...but honestly, as far as PayPal and digital delivery go, with E-Junkie or not, there is no way to really *prove* whether or not the buyer successfully downloaded the file. You can prove that they tried, but not that they did.
    Last edited by spikeZ; Jun 27, 2008 at 05:20. Reason: first line fine - second line blatent self-promo! :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paypal might be ok for smaller sales between two trusted parties, but your best bet is a third party escrow service such as escrow.com or sedo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have him sign and return a purchase order with a check.