SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Stuck in a dilemma - Fraud Case

I've recently been involved in a transaction whereby the buyer would pay $***, wait until the files are delivered and then claim unauthorized payment with PayPal after the files are delivered.

Thing is, conversing with PayPals support system is like talking to a brick wall. They only refer to their policies and provide advice on how to avoid this problem in the future. I won't consider this matter resolve unless I get my capital back or legal action is pursued against this pathetic fiend.

Now the dilemma, I only have his PayPal email address and full name, and no other personal information about this fraudster. Other bits of evidence I have of delivery of the goods is the record of the private messages over at DigitalPoint, and also the fact that the account used to contact me was actually hacked into and stolen prior to this transaction.

What's the next step in pursuing thus matter. I have already reported this to IC3.gov but I want to conduct my own investigation and find out more about this fraudster. What should I do? I only have his name and email address.
    eFlair Design | Premium Design Services and Web Consultation

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid you have very little ground to stand on... online fraud is like theft in a retail store. Most of the time, you just notice the stuff is gone and don't know who did it. It sucks, but it's just a cost of doing business.

You can take precautions to make sure it doesn't happen again. Retail stores use cameras, employees, and theft-deterrent devices attached to products. As an online merchant, you can use authentication, fraud detection services, and common sense.

Unfortunately, you WILL be the victim of fraud as an online merchant, eventually. For a few hundred dollars, I'm not sure it's worth pursuing. Yes, it sucks. But the truth is, getting the authorities to investigate is unlikely, and without a full investigation you're not going to get the information you need. PayPal probably won't release this user's personal information without a court order or subpoena, so the only thing you have is their name and possibly their IP address.

Quite frankly, you could spend countless hours investigating this and still never get your money back. Do you still have the files? I'm assuming you sold a "digital" good? Just sell it again. Don't consume your life with trying to "right the wrong" because chances are, you never will.

I'm usually not one to say this... I love going after these types just for the principle of it. But in reality, it's just not worth it sometimes.

I know it won't make you feel better, but we just had a customer order $500 firefighter boots from our store and then did a chargeback. And they won, in some freak occurance (we usually win these things with all the documentation we require). We KNOW they just wanted a free pair of shoes and fraudulently did a chargeback after receiving the shoes. But what can we do?

I could drive to their county/state and sue them, costing me thousands of dollars in travel, hotel, and legal expenses. Or I can just chalk it up to a business expense and lose a few hundred dollars.

Don't let your pride get the best of you -- chances are you will never see that money again even if you found out ever detail about this person. Just search online and learn about how to prevent this in the future -- that's a much better use of your time and energy.

Sorry!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I figured it was going to be like that. Cheers for the advice, I'll just let it go I guess
    eFlair Design | Premium Design Services and Web Consultation