SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile I use FrontPage to create static pages,to be used with OS Commerce,does this work?

Hi,

I am using Frontpage 2003 to create all the static pages of my website, which I plan to use either OS commerce or Cube cart as shopping cart.

I was told by a friend that static pages created by frontpage might not be compatible with the shopping cart interface I am going to use. Is this true? I used to think that static pages and shopping cart(dynamic pages) are 2 different independent unit of my website?

Can anyone please advice? I need your advice badly and urgently...

Thanks so much!

Regards,
    Kenix

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert on creating dynamic pages, but I can tell you that using FrontPage to create anything will cause nightmares down the road, and not just in the situation you present. Run, don't walk, from FrontPage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Max View Post
    I'm no expert on creating dynamic pages, but I can tell you that using FrontPage to create anything will cause nightmares down the road, and not just in the situation you present. Run, don't walk, from FrontPage.
    Hi Max,

Can you elaborate more?I am new to even creating static pages. What are the problems that will arise with frontpage? Is it the page will not load correctly or...?

Can you please advice and recommend me a good HTML WYSWYG software?

Thank you very much...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenix View Post
    What are the problems that will arise with frontpage? Is it the page will not load correctly or...?
    These guys can tell you far more about OSCommerce than I can, so I won't tread on their toes. What I can tell you is that Front Page creates horribly bloated code with tons of unnecessary, often table-based, structure and tagging that just gets in the way.

Here's an analogy: my first wife did cross-stitching, beautiful and very sophisticated work. When you looked at the back of the work (the side you don't usually see), the knots were tied off neatly, the excess string was cut away, and it was as neat and clean as you could want. I once asked her why she bothered; we were in a store that displayed others' work and she showed me why. One piece of work was nicely done, but on closer inspection you could see lumps and bumps and irregularities in the piece. "Those are from knots and tangles of string in the back," she told me. And, she said, if you found an error that needed correcting or a piece that needed reworking, it was much, much easier to find and fix it if you didn't have to hunt through all the behind-the-scenes mess. Same thing with Front Page. It can sometimes produce nice work, but when you look at the code...

Can you please advice and recommend me a good HTML WYSWYG software?
    Dreamweaver is the gold standard for WYSIWYG design software. I use the old warhorse HomeSite+, but you can't get it new anymore (it's been incorporated into Dreameweaver anyway). I'm told that UltraEdit and Crimson Editor are good freebies. Still, you're better off going to some good beginner's HTML and CSS tutorial sites and learning to do it yourself.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I am using Frontpage 2003 to create all the static pages of my website, which I plan to use either OS commerce or Cube cart as shopping cart.

I was told by a friend that static pages created by frontpage might not be compatible with the shopping cart interface I am going to use. Is this true? I used to think that static pages and shopping cart(dynamic pages) are 2 different independent unit of my website?

Can anyone please advice? I need your advice badly and urgently...

Thanks so much!

Regards,
    Kenix
    No that will not work with oscommerce. Its easier to get the oscommerce script and just edit it later. its free?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your static designs from Frontpage will be useful for a reference when re-designing the osCommerce template. You can keep them to see how you want the site to look.

As bigideaguy rightly says though, you can't plug them into osCommerce. You have to re-design what is already osCommerce.

I suggest you google for "design oscommerce" or something similar and find a tutorial that you can understand. (That's how I did it).

You will need to edit source code, so if you aren't too familiar with it now, you will be by the time you have designed an osCommerce store.

It's a big job that will take a lot of time and concentration, but if you're the sort of person who is motivated by having something to get stuck into, you will enjoy it.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys...

Thanks for all the informative inputs...

Even though I just use FrontPage to create my site HOMEPAGE, and then put a link at my home page to lead visitors to my store (powered by OSCommerce), this also does not work?

I used to think that it is 2 different component of the website. Because I am not trying to design my store with Frontpage, but rather just pages OUTSIDE my store which I use OSCommerce.

I m using Adode Dreamweaver CS3 now since Frontpage is not really the good solution.

But can anyone please teach me how to create rounded corner rectangle and some color tone in the rounded rectangle with Adobe Dreamweaver CS3?

Thanks so much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I just use FrontPage to create my site HOMEPAGE, and then put a link at my home page to lead visitors to my store (powered by OSCommerce), this also does not work?
    Depends what you're doing. If your site's main draw is content or community, and the store is an added feature, then sure it will work. On the other hand, if your site's sole purpose is to sell products via the shopping cart you would probably be best adding nothing to the osCommerce package, just redesigning it to suit you.

But can anyone please teach me how to create rounded corner rectangle and some color tone in the rounded rectangle with Adobe Dreamweaver CS3?
    I don't know how to do it with Dreamweaver, but this is a good article on how to do it with html and css.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brother Palgrave,

Thanks so much for your advice...

Basically I am planning to create some static pages which include the home page, about us page, contact us page, payment, shipping, and there will also be a link to my online store on my homepage.

So I will only install OSCommerce for my store, and I will not use FrontPage or any other WYSIWYG editor to change the layout of my store. Just the home pages etc..that i will be using those WYSIWYG editor.

So this is workable right?

Thanks so much again for all the great help you guys offer me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you - haven't had much time lately.

All those things that are in your plan are part of oscommerce. You will not need to create home page, about us page, contact us page, payment or shipping from scratch.