SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question The Best Form Element Helper?

I need to add some simple form element helpers, so when you click on the form input a little window/arrow thingy pops up with instructions.

I just wondered what the general consensus is on the best and easiest to add to an existing form.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how complex you want to get with it but I usually just split the cell, put in a little help or question mark icon and then have it popup a small window with instructions in it. Nothing fancy but does the job. If you want the code for it let me know.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ericgtr that would be great if possible.

Sorry to say i know next to nothing about javascript, hence the asking for a tutorial.

But any help would be great thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezthompson12@nt View Post
    Thanks ericgtr that would be great if possible.

Sorry to say i know next to nothing about javascript, hence the asking for a tutorial.

But any help would be great thanks
    Let me ask you this, what html editor are you using? This is a farily simple task to generate right out of your editor. For example I use Dreamweaver to create the function and then just plug it into my script.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i am using DW....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, here is how to do it in DW. I am using CS3 but the principal (and most controls) should be the same in lesser versions.

First we create the help page. What I do is create a new standard html page and put in a table at about 60% then populate it with whatever help info you want.

Now in DW put an image (like this ) somewhere in the row that you want to show it.

Make sure you have the "Behaviors" window open in DW, if not click on Window and check it, then you will se it on the right. Once you see it click on the image so it's selected and then click on the little + icon in behaviors, select "Open Browser Window". Link it up to the help page you have created and play with the other adjustments for size, width, etc (lots of goodies). Give it a "Window name:" can be anything you want and click OK. Now make sure to click on the action and change the action to onClick, this way they have to click on it otherwise it will be on mouseover by default.

That's it, your javascript is now created and you can use it where you like on other pages. Be sure to take note of the js code it automatically inserted in the <head> tags.

HTH
    Last edited by ericgtr; Jun 24, 2008 at 14:22.