SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I really be learning Ruby on Rails?

Today I read an article on The Register that has put me into wondering whether I should be learning Ruby/Rails at all http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06..._patches_ruby/

I've been struggling (and failing) my way through Agile Web Development with Rails and Simply Rails 2 just not quite mastering the command line, along with the page 102 problems!

Is this going to be a useful language and framework for me to learn? I am very confident with X/HTML and CSS, and I can happily build sites (some PHP) with WordPress, but I feel like being able to build a basic web application could work in my favour when I leave university. Is Ruby on Rails the one for me? Or should I just learn PHP or something?

I would really appreciate other people's opinions and experiences with this, and other languages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of people are doing good work with Rails. It's my job. Show-stopper security flaws haven't stopped Rails in the past; people patch and move on, as with any new technology.

Learn what you want to learn. If I told you I really enjoyed ColdFusion, what could that really mean to you?
    There are some things you shouldn't try to code at home.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regard to the Ruby vulnerabilities you linked to... well, think of the most secure piece of software you've used and you'll quickly find that computing isn't exactly one hundred percent safe yet. Ubuntu just had a rather ridiculous OpenSSL problem that affected thousands. You patch and move on, no matter what type of architecture or language you're running.

I think you'll find that one of the trademark attitudes of Ruby or Rails developers is that they just love the language, its syntax, its ideals. Most would sacrifice in other areas (be it performance, ease of deployment, or otherwise) in order to really enjoy working with their tools of choice. Is that for you? Who knows. But if it's something you think you'll come to value, it might be worth sticking it out for awhile.

On another note, learning Ruby was pretty okay for me the first year. Some interesting stuff, some pain in the asses you'd have to deal with, and so on. The second year has been gravy. I think once I got over the initial learning curves (of which there are many: Ruby, Rails, REST, migrations, version control, etc ad nauseam), things started to click for me and it was a real joy to learn more and work more. YMMV, but my milage rocked.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks AllTom and lo0ol, I appreciate your opinions.

I think I'll try sticking at Ruby on Rails for now, though I'm going to stick on the forum as I need as much help as I can get!