SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Needed - Worpress FilePath Problem

I recently changed servers....whilst the Blog is active, clicking on links returns a 404. The support at the host claims that the Catagories folder is missing...please let me know what file path it should exist in....and what, if any files should go in the folder eg, catagories.php?
    Paul

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went over to wordpress.com, downloaded the software, and didn't find a Categories folder. There are a couple of files with "categories" in their name though.

I suggest you take the software as well, decompress it and look for files that you're missing etc. It's probably safest to do a complete wordpress software update though. These should be done regularly, as new software versions take care of security vulnerabilities.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    I suggest you take the software as well, decompress it and look for files that you're missing etc. It's probably safest to do a complete wordpress software update.
    Thanks for the quick reply...I did D/L the software and couldn't find a Catagories folder. If I do a software update, will I lose any changes that have been made so far eg, the addition of the catagories (that I can see btw in the admin panel)?

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have a 'categories' folder as such with WordPress, unless you have changed the default upload path to a folder called 'categories'.

Things to look out for are:

- Was the database moved correctly?

- Are you using permalinks? If so, ensure you have the .htaccess file in the root folder of the WordPress install (this is a likely candidate).

- Check the directory structure is the same as on the old server (you web directory).
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips