User Tag List

Thread: Creating Ebooks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating Ebooks

I have written material that I wish to be made into an ebook. Does anyone know how to create ebooks in .pdf format and to make them secure so no one can share them?

Is there software to do this or instructions? What is the best way or best software to use for this?

Thanks for the help!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using lyx to generate your e-book, it handles professionally typesetted documents.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highpowersites View Post
    Is there software to do this or instructions? What is the best way or best software to use for this?
    Thanks for the help!
    Hello,

I like the site Lulu.com. They are a cheap publisher (I'm thinking about writing a book), but they allow you to create a professional e-book for free. (you pay for making physical books. I know... it is a bit off the beaten road, but you might want to look into them.

I do not know of any other options. I am anxious to see straight up e-book creation options since I have a few e-book opportunities I am looking into.
    GregCaughill.com
    Web Developer and Online Marketer
    Christian Discipleship
    Walking With You as You Walk With Jesus

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately there's just not much you can do to keep PDFs from getting shared today. While you could set a password in Acrobat to protect a PDF document, it's really not worth the hassle since that can just as easily be shared too.

I'm sure there's a way to require a user to register before reading something, like registering a piece of software before using it, but you'd probably lose more by making your clients jump through extra hoops to purchase your book than you would through people sharing your book w/others.

My .02 cents anyhow.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree. Trying to limit the sharing of material that was designed to be shared is a losing battle. You should make it free (as in freedom), and find another way to monetize the offering.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go ahead, suggest another way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravedesigns View Post
    Unfortunately there's just not much you can do to keep PDFs from getting shared today. While you could set a password in Acrobat to protect a PDF document, it's really not worth the hassle since that can just as easily be shared too.

I'm sure there's a way to require a user to register before reading something, like registering a piece of software before using it, but you'd probably lose more by making your clients jump through extra hoops to purchase your book than you would through people sharing your book w/others.

My .02 cents anyhow.

Steve
    I will have to agree here. Not only are the PDFs easily sharable, and the passwords sharable as well, but there are also cheap and/or free programs out there that will allow you to strip off a password in just a few seconds.

Some steps can take that will at least help:

1) If the ebook is free, you can squeeze them through an opt in form to at least get an email address out of it.

2) Go ahead and password protect it anyways if you must, it will still stop people somewhat.

3) Mention on the front page that the ebook is copyright and NOT sharable, but a little legal blurb in there that warns them not to show it or share it with anyone.

4) Make sure the hyperlink to your website is embedded in the book, even as a footer on each page. Make sure your affiliate links are in there. Then when people share it, who really cares, they are doing you a favor!

5) Just make it free, put your links in it, put it behind an opt in form, then promote the heck out of it. Then use the email addresses and traffic you get to make your money instead of directly on the ebook itself!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the easiest way to get people to pay for an e-book is to take payment and then send it on to them via email. I agree with one of the forum posters earlier that if http://www.lulu.com is a great portal for selling your e-book if you are new to this. They even have book cover designs thatyou can use at no cost

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is at least one software program out there that uses online verification. Generally converting your ebook into an .exe is going to make it vastly easier to protect.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit in MS Office (such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint), than print with "PDF Factory" software.

Download pdf factory on fineprint.com