User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanting to Join in!

So i've just registered after lurking around and reading various articals over the last few weeks.

Now i'm on with building my 1st page using CSS, i'm not a complete noob to HTML and web design but i am to CSS.

I've built the page and come across a problem so thought now would be a good chance to start posting and joining in with the forums... unfortunately since i'm a new user i can't post a link to the page and illustrate my issue... frustrating to say the least, but hey what can you do if they are the rules!!

anyway can someone please let me know how many post i need to make before i can post for real!!?

Ooo... by the way, nice to meet you all!!... post 1 complete!

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you want to post a link to your site to illustrate your problem, you can do it by for example putting a space to break the "live link".
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a recent, unfortunate but necessary measure to put a stop to spammers. I don't think you need many posts before you can insert links (five, perhaps?).

In the meantime, can't you just uncheck the 'Automatically parse links in text' checkbox and write the URL in your post. Then we can copy and paste it to get to the page.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Varelse, i've just tried to add a space and various other alternatives such as removing the start of the address from the front etc. It still picks up the link however

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AuststicCuckoo, unchecking the 'Automatically parse links in text' doesn't seem to work either... unless i'm doing something wrong... highly likely!!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www "virtualform.net" forwardslash "BPS" forwardslash "index.html"

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JATaylor View Post
    www "virtualform.net" forwardslash "BPS" forwardslash "index.html"
    One way or another... you did it
    www.virtualform.net / BPS / index.html
    Last edited by longneck; Jul 3, 2008 at 07:14. Reason: invalidating url's
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - i've managed to post the address if you can decifer the cript clue above!!

I apoligise for posting in this manner but i'm a slightly catch 22 position that without posting i can't get over the initial no. of posts...

anyway my problem with the page shown in the above link is that when viewed in Firefox a space is being added between the header banner and the navigation bar, but when viewed in IE its displaying as required.

also as its my 1st use of CSS if anyone has any input to the code / structure i have used please feel free to point it out!

cheers.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got some semantically questionable markup there, using definition lists with only DT's in them instead of unordered lists.

I noticed that the contents of the definition lists are floated and have various margins. I suspect that it's those margins that cause the gap (which is also visible in Opera 9.5).
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feed back!

got there in the end and now i have 5 posts so i'm fully active member!

anyway just popped back here to say that i have now posted a fully functioning thread on the subject in the CSS forum, which i guess is the most appropriate place for it!

please find the thread at: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555607

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears that the post linked to above has been closed - I wasn't meaning to cross post, was just trying to post the subject in the appropriate forum. This having to make so many posts before being able to post links is a major headache for legitimate new members... anyways apologies.

On with the issue.

I have added height:1% to the #NavLinks which appears to solve the issue... not 100% sure of the reason yet as the solution was suggested to me by a member of another forum, i have asked for an explanation. I'll update you should one arrive!