SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to remove table from content?

i have a site i created with MS frontpage that i am in the process of moving to a joomla format and i am having a problem that i'm hoping someone could help me with...

my site has hundreds of topical chat transcripts that are currently in tables...2 columns, hundreds of rows...one column for the chatter name, one for what they said...a row for each instance of someone saying something.

the tables appear to be causing major problems in joomla...causing major load times and such...and making it hard to break up the transcripts into pages easily...so i was thinking that it might work better if i was able to pitch the tables.

i don't really care exactly how the transcripts are formatted as long as its easy to separate between who said what.

i would be perfectly happy to format them without the tables like this:

chatter 1: blah blah blah
    chatter 2: blah blah blah
    chatter 3: blah blah blah

but the problem is that i don't know how to do this quickly and easily. i tried merging the cells and dragging the content out that way but then it puts it with extra space that i think makes it harder to tell who said what:

chatter 1

blah blah blah

chatter 2

blah blah blah

chatter 3

blah blah blah

so i'm afraid if i do it that way i will have a huge amount of work to get rid of each line's extra space:

chatter 1
    blah blah blah

chatter 2
    blah blah blah

chatter 3
    blah blah blah

does anyone have any ideas for me? it seems like there MUST be a way to do this that i just, in my very inexperienced mind, can't figure out.

help?

thanks!

tina

SitePoint Evangelist tangledman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several possible solutions;

1. Write a script to parse it, and store it in a database.

2. If it's all in one file, you might be able to remove to "find and replace all the html you want to change.

Is it all in one file?

Can you post a link to the site it would be easier to help, if I could see what I am dealing with?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wouldn't have a clue about writing scripts.

here's the original transcripts: http://mommychats.com/transcripts/index.htm

i'm taking the time stamps out of each one to have it take up less space on the page in joomla. so it would just be the username and what they said.

there's probably close to 400 files total.

thank you!

tina