User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review my gaming website

Hi,

I've recently launched a new website and thought now would be the time to get some feedback/opinions after it has had a little time to settle in.

I don't want to explain what the website is about here, as part of what I would like to know is whether or not the site makes it clear to you as a user.

If possible this is what I would like to get out of this:

• Is it obvious what the purpose of the site is
    • Does the UI and UE make sense
    • Depending on whether or not you are interested in the subject matter, would you use this?

If possible I'd rather not have too much feedback on the semantics such as HTML/CSS structure - I've done (very rarely) inline CSS edits and some other things that I know I need to fix in the long run

The url for the site is thumbslap.com

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by yduk; Jun 19, 2008 at 12:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing that catches my attention: "Arrange games with people." That immediately confuses me. What type of games? With what people? And why?

Also, the banner image takes up a lot of prime real estate and is unnecessarily big I believe. I don't think the bottom left explanation sufficiently describes what you are trying to do.

I'd like to see some more clarification on the top where it says "Arrange games with people", a more expanded mission statement below, and a smaller graphic in the middle. And maybe an easy-to-follow action call, like:

"Create a match between you and your friends in 3 easy steps:

1. Register and provide game details
    2. Select a date and time
    3. Invite your friends

That is not very good copy right there but it's just an example.
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it obvious what the purpose of the site is
    Yes, pretty obvious.

Does the UI and UE make sense
    Again, yes, but the community avatars are a bit disjointed.

Depending on whether or not you are interested in the subject matter, would you use this?
    I play xbox live, so maybe. Saying that, though, I find it easy enough to get a game if none of my pals are online.

A few other issues -

What platforms are it for? I couldn't find anything to say whether it was xbox, pc, etc.

At first, I didn't understand the "search for events" bit. The area to type what you're looking for is too big and doesn't look like a search box. I think it was the text saying "what are you searching for?" that threw me.

I don't like the font at the top of most pages, ie: "You need to login" etc. It looks bulky and dated.

I do like the minimal front page design, easy to understand and well laid out. But like I said, I think you need to point out what platforms we're on. Also, I would have more in the way of tournaments than just finding somebody to play. I mean, take Halo 3 - there's usually over 100,000 people playing it online when I look so I get a game immediately. How can you convince people that it would be easier to find people through your site?

And lastly, although it's a good idea to arrange times to meet friends online for a game, I believe most people will do this via msn or xbox messaging.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website has some visual issues with Opera 9.5.

Image 1
    Image 2

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback so far.

And lastly, although it's a good idea to arrange times to meet friends online for a game, I believe most people will do this via msn or xbox messaging.
    This may well be true, the way I was looking at this though was that for the less popular games especially it can be hard to find decent people to play regularly. I would also say that I find it useful to be able to invite many friends at once and allow everyone to say whether they are going to be able to play or not.

I would have more in the way of tournaments than just finding somebody to play.
    Tournaments, groups etc are things I want to add. At the moment I tried to focus on something simple that I can use with my friends, and hopefully other can too.

Your website has some visual issues with Opera 9.5.
    Will fix

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This a nice clear website which leads you to all of the appropriate buttons directly. The information on the front page is concise, as soon as you enter the website you know exactly what it is about. The colors used are fresh and easy on the eye. The pure css layout works well with no errors which is always good!
    A nice website, well done.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm kind of mixed feeling about this idea. As someone said, it's pretty easy to find games to play among random players. I don't think I'll setup schedule to play w/ strangers, among friends I just call them up and say "get ur *** on halo". To login, create schedule, join, and etc.. sounds a bit complicated to enjoy the game. Sorry dude~ I'm a gamer myself but I don't see myself using it.

Second thought, perhaps you should focus on less popular games that no one's on. I'm sure people still like to play old online games like starcraft but no one to play with.

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like the overall look of the site, the logo is nice too. With such a nice logo, you should definitely have a favicon to match. Check attached file
    Attached Files Attached Files
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that when creating profile...you need to validtae each field by either javascript or something else...i did not fill anything and form was submitted.....

website design looks fine and if you develop proper structure....it will be a big success...
    all the best

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the site loaded real fast, that was good.

The Halo (i think) image is good for the subject.

The font for the main title is a little problematic for me the "rr" in the arrange could looked different, why is it a picture and not text?

loved the old school logo on the left.

interface is simple and easy to understand.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

Again thanks for the feedback

The font for the main title is a little problematic for me the "rr" in the arrange could looked different, why is it a picture and not text?
    There is text behind it, using CSS to hide and show background image. Probably going to change this though based on feedback above.

I think that when creating profile...you need to validtae each field by either javascript or something else...i did not fill anything and form was submitted.....
    Strange, there is some JavaScript validation - will fix this.

favicon to match
    Going to be adding one, your file is still awaiting approval but thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don' t like the color scheme. As for me it looks a bit boring.
    If you want to do something right, do it yourself!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    I like the overall look of the site, the logo is nice too. With such a nice logo, you should definitely have a favicon to match. Check attached file
    Just uploaded it

I don' t like the color scheme. As for me it looks a bit boring.
    Does the subject matter bore you or something about the site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yduk View Post
    Does the subject matter bore you or something about the site?
    Everything is OK with the subject matter! It's an excellent idea, especially for game-lovers
    But your color scheme is too fade, as for me, and looks unattractive. It's my opinion - but the tastes differ.
    If you want to do something right, do it yourself!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, prima facie, the site is one of the better ones I've seen here, and it's fairly clear what you're trying to do.

The issue is that I'm not sure what games you mean -- are you arranging games of poker? Online poker? Halo? I can't tel by looking, although I guess based on the picture in the front that it's online video games.

The next unanswered question that enters my mind is, what video games? Are these browser-based games, or normal pc games?

If they are browser based, what are they? If they are pc games, how exactly does it work? I mean, does it automatically connect you somehow, or is it just a tool you use to agree to meet somewhere inside the game at a certain time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, prima facie, the site is one of the better ones I've seen here, and it's fairly clear what you're trying to do.

The issue is that I'm not sure what games you mean -- are you arranging games of poker? Online poker? Halo? I can't tel by looking, although I guess based on the picture in the front that it's online video games.

The next unanswered question that enters my mind is, what video games? Are these browser-based games, or normal pc games?

If they are browser based, what are they? If they are pc games, how exactly does it work? I mean, does it automatically connect you somehow, or is it just a tool you use to agree to meet somewhere inside the game at a certain time?