User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallshot View Post
    I'm not building a complex CMS just for my own site... (that would be a silly waste of time!).
    It would only be a silly waste of time if you coded it in a clown costume and let out an exaggerated sigh whenever you got stumped. Then of course you would reach up and squeeze your big red nose bulb, filling the office with a resounding honk and wheeze. Then some guy would pop out of a nearby closet and start playing a funny song on the trombone. This would obviously cause you to start flailing around in a giggly clown dance.

Now that would be a silly waste of time!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're saying I SHOULDN'T do that, right? Do you think they'll take my clown costume back?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been doing much reading about the semantic web over the last year or so, and likewise musing how a future CMS should work, while cobbling together layers over an existing work in progress CMS.

For ease of use for CMS users I don't think you will ever beat something which allows them to "edit in place" and then use an intelligent wysiwyg editor. (read/write web).
    The case would be users browses website, sees and error clicks edit button and edits the page/paragraph.

It will have to automatically issue CoolURIs, without me having to manually set up Apache url rewrites.

It will automatically try and create or prompt for RDF descriptions, maybe using linked data, to describe and share what the content is actually about.

I think any CMS that can address those fairly simple technical requirements will have a chance getting itself into the running as a basic CMS core engine that can be extended to suit a particular niche, and would likely get my support.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit in place is a definite feature I am planning and I already have clean URIs in place. A few Apache rewrite rules are required to redirect everything except media files to the index.php, and then the index uses the URI to locate the content in a hierarchical structure. When you set up a new website, you create menus to create the hierarchical layout and point each menu item to a module (blog, contact, etc) or static page.

As for RDF.. This is the first I've heard of RDF, but it sounds interesting...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't bother there are already too many

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to discourage your attempts at writing a CMS, and I don't want to repeat myself, but I still feel MODx fulfills most of the wishes described in this thread.

ExpressionEngine also looks promising, but since it isn't open source, I haven't had the chance to look into it and try it out.

Bee

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense, but I just don't like MODx. Maybe if I were forced to use it, I might change my mind once I got used to it. Though I don't doubt it may fulfill most of the wishes in this forum, I'm just asking what everyone wants in a CMS since I'm making my own anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point taken and I am not offended.

I'll be closely watching you for a new CMS coming up in a year starting with 'z'... 'Cause although I am happy with my current CMS, I am always interested in new approaches. Just "show me the CMS".

Good luck,

Bee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    start small with CMS is good idea.

so I started my own fork of CMS
    -CMS for 5 pages company website
    -CMS for 5 pages + specialized menu
    - etc.

if we put something not necessary in the admin, the client will be confused. this happen with joomla & drupal. unfortunately, I am not good in tuning the joomla admin site.