SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review My Company's Online Retail store

Walldaddy.com is an online retailer of posters, calendars and social stationery. The product is geared toward trendy stuff. I want to know what you think from a usability standpoint. How easy is it to find products that you might want, are products displayed correctly, is there anything that is confusing. Also if you have suggestion on design that woudl be helpful. Any help would be appreciated.

SitePoint Member advertisingurls's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rstarost View Post
    Walldaddy.com is an online retailer of posters, calendars and social stationery. The product is geared toward trendy stuff. I want to know what you think from a usability standpoint. How easy is it to find products that you might want, are products displayed correctly, is there anything that is confusing. Also if you have suggestion on design that woudl be helpful. Any help would be appreciated.
    Looks real nice to me, glad you have the meta tags, everyone wants SEO and it needs to start there, you may want to consider a link page

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by advertisingurls View Post
    Looks real nice to me, glad you have the meta tags, everyone wants SEO and it needs to start there, you may want to consider a link page
    Thanks! I am actually working on a links page and I agree SEO is important!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design looks good. The navigation is simple, although I don't particularly like the red color that you've chosen for the navigation links. I like the site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    The design looks good. The navigation is simple, although I don't particularly like the red color that you've chosen for the navigation links. I like the site.
    Thanks. I have heard that before but this clinches it..I will change that

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't like the colour set you have used:
    - red text on light grey background (right hand side links) do not look well
    - plain red (#ff0000) is a killer for one's eyes

The whole page uses the fixed width column layout, while the header links are spread across the full width, which looks bad.

I'd consider removing the background pattern - it's very 90'ish.

Your logo theme has some power and I would stick to this idea when thinking of other elements for the page (headers, imagery).
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Extremely busy. Causes confusion. Closed the web page in 2 seconds.

There are links all over the place. I don't know where to start.

Not enough spacing between content. This is causing some of the mess.

Red links disappear in the background.

Div container should be fixed at 1000 instead of stretching. It looks much better that way.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First,easy read ,more products
    second,good price and trust is very important for e-business.
    I think.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few problems with this site,
    Firstly the colour scheme, the grey and red doesn't go together that well - it looks a bit garish espacially with the nav bar.
    Seconldy the intro text has too many links in, the numerous links within the intro text is making it hard to read, there is two solutions to this:
    -Making the mlinks text a more subtle colour or even the same colour as the rest of the text but with underlining.

The next big problem is the pop up menu on the poster button, on my browser this function froze and the menu wouldn't go away, a little bit of ajax would solve this and look a lot nicer.

I think I would take the shop by products box out and spread the merchandise across that space as it just looks a little too busy at the moment.

I would also try taking the horizontal line out from between the menu on the top right where contact us is and then line up the buttons.

Lastly you could do with converting it to either a hybrid layout or better yet pure CSS. In other words re design with web standards.
    I highly recommend you buy the book 'redesigning with web standards' by jeffrey zeldman. This book will help so much.

Sorry to critisize so much.

On the plus side I quite like the repeating background image and the main boston celtics image used.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theMarcin View Post
    Extremely busy. Causes confusion. Closed the web page in 2 seconds.

There are links all over the place. I don't know where to start.

Not enough spacing between content. This is causing some of the mess.

Red links disappear in the background.

Div container should be fixed at 1000 instead of stretching. It looks much better that way.
    Completely agree w/ this review. After 3 seconds of chaos, I had to exit out..lol~ sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chaos! long live chaos! Which would be true if we played WarHammer30k, but this is the web, so this is where minimalistic designs and simplicity wins.

Your header text (cart etc) is not soo eye pleasing with the colour #f00. You should change it to a darker colour.

Bascically you should choice a colour scheme. This one (if any existing) is not working. at all.

Your inline links is horrible, looks like ads. Maybe this is also causing the site to look very chaotic.

/j

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the site really looks a bit busy and throws a million of links to the user at once. The red links and titles look too flashy and thus aggressive.

Also I tried to find some products, chose the desired category but it was appeared empty. And no notification message told me about it. Instead of it I saw duplicated phrase: "Sort By: Name Desc | Show All"

Best of luck!
    If you want to do something right, do it yourself!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darken the links to a dark red color, and they will be more readable. This might mean giving up the hover effect if you have to.

The medium-gray color for the background doesn't site well with me. It looks better either as a light gray or dark gray.

The explanation text needs more spacing between the featured products and Celtics picture on the top.

You have a "shop by products" box that looks like it's placed there by accident. It is redundant, because the categories menu does the same thing (and more links).

I agree with Varelse that the logo has a good theme. Carry this theme more consistently across the page. The biggest setback with the design right now is that you have grungy elements (logo and backgrounds) confined within a very boxy layout. You can make the boxy layout invisible and put more space between all the page elements.

If you want to go this route, get a good designer and give most of the pages a makeover. It's possible for a website to look grungy without being chaotic.