SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolute positioning problems in IE...

Hello everyone,

Once again, I'm working on a confidential client project, so I cannot provide much in the way of examples.

I am rebuilding the site, I'm currently coding the new header and footer. The footer has an image (logo) that is designed to sit on top of a div's border, and the border goes through part the image. To achieve this aesthetic result, I just took the small logo as one image and placed it on top of the div's border, positioned absolutely. This worked wonderful in FireFox.

Once I was alerted that the positioning of the logo was far from intended in IE7, I turned to using
    HTML Code:
    <!--[if IE ]>
    <![endif]-->
    to pull another style sheet if the user's browser is IE. In this style sheet, I appropriately adjusted the absolute positioning to please IE7 and put my logo where it was intended.

Well, in IE6 this logo appears to ignore my conditional comment and stay misplaced quite a bit, where it was originally. So, I figured IE6 and back must not support the conditional comments - nope. After some investigation, it seems IE5+ supported this conditional comment.

So, what have I done wrong?

Kind regards,
    Alex Stanford
    Alex Stanford @alexstanford tumblog about.me in fb G+ K
    TechTalkin The Premier Community for Technology Enthusiasts and Professionals
    Full Ambit Media Zero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone?
    Full Ambit Media Zero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a space after the "IE" that could be casuing problems?

Try...

<!--[if IE]>
    Special instructions for IE here
    <![endif]-->

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed the space, but no effect. I'm wondering if the lack of support for min-width in IE6 is causing it, since I an using that in a few places.

Edit: I guess it is not min-height, because I have:

Code:
    * html #outer{
    height: 100&#37;;
    }
    That should fix IE6 & below as far as the min-height problem.