SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Firefox 3 [Mac version] Issue

I updated last week to the most recent version of the new Firefox 3 Beta on one of my Mac development machines and seemed to be having issues with the CSS Dropdown List Menu "Flickering" when you mouse over through the menu when it is over the flash image carousel on our homepage.

It worked in the PC version, but not on the macs. I was hoping this was a bug that would be fixed in the Final Release, but does not seem to have been.

The work around in the past for this was to add a "wmode=transparent" parameter to the flash code, but that seems to have stopped working in the new FF release.

Can anyone confirm that is the issue? I don't think its the menu that's incompatible, because it works fine on the sub pages, it just messes up over the flash file.

If you would like to witness the problem visit our site -- gardner-webb.edu

I noticed toyota.com is having the same issue.

Thanks guys

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I've run into the same issue w/ FF3 on the Mac. I have a Css drop down menu flickering over a swfobject flash embed. it's driving me nuts! did you figure it out any thoughts would be appreciated...thx

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, sadly enough we are still stumped.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, this is awful - the company I work for upgraded to FF3 a week and a half ago - I have to show the new website on Wednesday and everyone is going to see menu flicker... I am very worried indeed. I have noticed that Adobe.com is having the same problem.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed on a machine running Leopard, that this was not an issue, just on my osx 10.4.11. So it is localized to Tiger.

Then I had an epiphany: we are using JavaScript to pull in the CSS menu. The Java software would be different builds between Tiger and Leopard.

I go to Sun to scope out a new release/update for it, and I notice that you can't get it from them that Apple makes the Java Plug-in.

So, I'm now thinking it is an issue with Tiger's Java Plug-in, and not a Flash problem. I shall research it some more.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Webhead.

I too am using Tiger (10.4.11) and am still looking to resolve this issue. I am a bit confused though when you say pull in the CSS menu via Javascript (JS). Perhaps that is just for your site. I am pulling in the Flash element via SWFOBJect, hence a lil JS... but i am not using JS elsewhere. I really appreciate your posts and fear not I will continue searching as well!
    thanks again,
    Derker

ps- i tried both 1.5 and the latest 2 swfobject to no avail...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the SWFObject JS fille as well. I had thought about trying to find a menu that does not have any JS, and see how that works. But after remembering what a nightmare getting the one we have now integrated into our Content Management System, I'm just going to accept the flickering.

But hey, once we, along with the whole world, switches to Leopard, and the ones that do not upgrade do not use the new firefox, we have nothing to worry about then. Time to start begging for new computers at work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys, i'd like to say that for whatever reason I'm not having this issue and I'm running Tiger. Everyone else in my office is running Tiger and IS having the issue. The only difference is I have an intel based machine and no one else does. I don't think this should make a difference, but I wanted to add in another piece of the puzzle.... maybe....

Anthony

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey hey all,

I too have been noticing this issue as it seems to take place on quite a few sites in FireFox 3.

Sadly it wasn't fixed with 3.01 either. BTW I am running leopard on 2 machines and see it on both of them. I have asked several other people on os x and it seems to be fairly wide spread.

I hate to do hacks for an error that clearly shouldn't be occurring. I'm hoping Moz fixes the issue, but am curious if anyone has found a fix just in case.

Cheers.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologise for replying to a thread that's more than 4 months old, but has anyone found a fix for this yet?

I'm not using the swfobject flash method, and my CSS bar hovers over Flash great everywhere, except FF3 on Mac, using Tiger

I too am having nightmares over it.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by invision2; Oct 20, 2008 at 08:39.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also had the same issue on mac os x 10.4.11 Tiger, Firefox 3.52

CSS Menu Flickering over the top of flash, however i found that adding the following fixed it for the first level menu but i couldn't get it to work on the second ?

#nav li a:hover { position: relative; z-index: 99; }