User Tag List

Thread: Need CSS Help

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Need CSS Help

I am not so good at explaining so please bear with me.
    Here is the page in question yeshuaskids.net/index1.html
    That is just up there to show you what I have already done.
    That is the main page. What I am wanting to do now is make the rest of the pages without the colums in the middle and just have the middle to write in. I pray you understand what I mean. Now I want the middle of the page blank just to write in.
    I had made the CSS sheet for it and it was fine and working until I saved it and everytime I do it messes up and doesnt read the sheet. It all goes to the left of the page and acts as though it isnt even there.
    Now I realize that I will have to have 2 CSS Sheets for this site because of the different pages I want but everytime I make the second one it doesnt read it once it is saved.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I am not well versed in CSS and what I have done I have learned on my own so please be gentle! I am willing to learn all I can. Just point me in the right direction.
    Thanks so much,
    Rhonda

PS. Also as you look at the page, why cant I get the grey line to go all the way down tp the Christian top site logo? Whenever I try it goes haywire. Is that telling me the end of page and that is as far as I can go?

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hi R_D,

I used https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/155 to check your source code and remove numerous errors. You can now find the revised code here:

http://johns-jokes.com/downloads/sp/church/index.html

I changed all your <!--------- REMARKS --------> since they were causing havoc.

I noticed that you have numerous images that are not on your site. I would be tempted to copy all the external images and put them in a common /images folder.
    Learn how to be ready for The New Move to Discourse

How to make Make Money Now with a *NEW* look

Be sure to congratulate Wolfshade on earning Member of the Month for August 2014

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Thanks John.
    First I want to say that the site it is on is not the site it is staying on..I just threw it up there for you to see. And everything it is pulling from would be the site itself right??

Second, the page works fine for me for what I want it to do right there. What I am wanting is make another page, with the same layout as that one with nothing in the middle. Just space to write on in the middle. I want to keep all the pics and such the way they are and the side links just the way they are but change the content in the middle.
    It doesnt matter what I do (even with your code) the images all move to the left hand side and the links are just links running across the top of my page.
    I have made a seperate css page for this..could this be causing my problems?
    Why cant I just have the same CSS sheet for them both but it read different things for different pages?
    I am so ready to give up and say forget it. I have been working on this for months and I am not getting anywhere. When I get somewhere, something else messes up.
    Thanks anyways,
    Rhonda

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hi Rhonda,

>>> I am so ready to give up and say forget it.
    Looking at your code I reckon you have done remarkably well to use CSS and to produce such an intricate web page.

>>> I have been working on this for months and I am not getting anywhere.
    OK In your present situation I would learn either PHP or ASP scripts. Preferably the former since the Linux websites are oh so much cheaper than the Windows competition. Both PHP and ASP have very similar features but only the former I will give some additional information.

PHP can be developed on your own "localhost server" using WAMP

WAMP has a built-in MYSQL database which will come in handy in the future.

Ordinary HTML web-pages can be renamed to index.php and will work exactly the same.

PHP web-pages can easily include separate sections by inserting include('content.php');

A simplified index.php web-page can be:
    PHP Code:

<html>
    <head>
       <title>first page</title>
        <link href="<?php include('cwimweb.css") ?>" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    </head>
    <body>
       <div id='
    container'>

<div id='
    left'>
             <?php include('
    left_001.php') ?>
          </div>

<div id='
    main'>
             <?php include('
    main_001.php') ?>
          </div>

<div id='
    right'>
             <?php include('
    right_001.php') ?>
          </div>

<div id='
    footer'>
             <?php include('
    footer_001.php') ?>
          </div>

</div><?php /* container */ ?>

</body>
    </html>
    >>> When I get somewhere, something else messes up.
    It is not easy to get CSS scripts to display the same in all browsers. I find it best to adapt tried and tested templates.

As far as your current design is concerned then:
    1. do not make any further changes.
    2. get your WAMP running
    3. create a simple index.php template
    4. split and save your exisiting web page into sections
    5. include the sections into your new template.

Best of luck,

John
    Learn how to be ready for The New Move to Discourse

How to make Make Money Now with a *NEW* look

Be sure to congratulate Wolfshade on earning Member of the Month for August 2014

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the "took so long" response. LOL Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes!
    I will look into this now that I have the time to.
    Thanks for your help,
    Rhonda