Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neophyte needs help with web technologies

Hello
    I have an idea for a web project that I would really like to do. As a beginner I am absolutely daunted by the seemingly limitless web technologies (XML, ASP,AJAX,RUBY,SQL,PHP, and on and on) and what theyre used for. I have a very basic understanding of html (which I've learned from this site!) but I need to know what technologies I would need to become familiar with to complete my project.

Basically, I want to build a web site that members can join and use to catalog parts (with photos) for vintage motorcyles. I know this is very broad but if I could get help with what web languages would be best for a project like this then that would point me in the right direction. I am pretty good with learning new things so I know I could put the site together (with a little help from my friends!)

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd use HTML and CSS for the front end and PHP with MySQL for the backend database.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much. I thought I'd need a database, so after a bit of research, I understand that what's PHP and SQL are all about.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much. I thought I'd need a database, so after a bit of research, I understand that what's PHP and SQL are all about.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider a content management system such as Drupal or Joomla (or even Wordpress) to handle your data.