SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I MS FrontPage Compatible?

I am working on a new site and was just told that my code must be MS Frontpage & MS Expressions compatible.

I code all HTML/css by hand and it is all up to the highest standards. I've never heard such request before and figured I'd ask beforehand...

Am I compatible?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody is Front Page compatible because Front Page isn't compatible with anything

Actually, it sounds as if your project manager or whoever uses FP on the site, and that can cause quite, uh, individualistic coding choices. I know nothing about MS Expressions, but maybe this link will tell you something useful:

http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear, I feel sorry for you because when the FrontPage Monkeys start editing things it will completely wreck your code.

Tell them your code is not "Idiot Proof" but FrontPage is for "Idiots"... However, what you produce will work in FrontPage.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FrontPage is so incompatible withh everything else that Microsoft killed iit off in 2007 as it would have cost them too much to fix it.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I am right with you guys on the FrontPage thing, but if someone insists there is only so much I can do... Personally I have never even used it so had to ask but it seems as if I would be compatible so that is the important part.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be very careful about the contract - specify that if anything goes wrong because of FP then you'll need payment to fix it.

I had a hand-coded site that a client wanted to update in FrontPage. It did work, sort of, as long as they were really careful - but they were basically just entering text rather than anything complex (which FP is like to mess up).

Two issues that spring to mind - firstly, FP controls the structure of the site with regards to links in the navigation - I think it's called calculating. Not sure what will happen if the client tries to "calculate links" - not sure it will work, might need some FP component. The other thing is that FP often complained when the client tried to save a page that they'd added content to probably because it wasn't part of an FP structure. Not fatal - but annoying.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    test

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow i didn't think anyone uses frontpage anymore. Either it's a fairly old application or perhaps they use an older proprietary cms/custom app that only works with FP type coding. Interesting but not unheard of as many companies still run older technologies since it's sometimes cheaper for them to just modify it rather than go through the process of finding and implementing something better.

If you already code by hand to standards, you'll be able to handle this request. You'll just have to be able to handle the fact what you'll be doing probably won't be to standard