User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help me with this cron job

hello

i want to create several cron jobs to backup my different sites database.
    thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Tanicos,
    your post was a little vague, you want to use cron jobs? okay well first things first, a cron job executes a script or program on your server at predefined times. have you written the scripts that do what you want them to do? for example, i have a site that sends out reminders of membership renewals, so every day the cron executes a script that i have written and uploaded that checks the database and creates emails to people.
    i also use cron to back up databases, the script i use for this is from dwalker.co.uk, though i have modded it very slightly so that it can back up three databases at the same time, works a treat though.
    now getting onto cron. depending on your hosting depends on how you set up your cron, in cPanel, if you have it there is a simple and easy to use cron tool, i currently host with oneandone and with them i use PuTTy which is much less user friendly. similar to Telnet. pain in the bottom.
    i hope this helps, if you want more information then you need to put more information in your post, and tell people what you are aiming for and how far you have got.
    Good Luck!
    Chrissie
    Live Long Laugh Often

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you very much for your detailed response. i have a phpbb forum and i posted this question there..the answer i got was to create a cron job..that's it.
    i didn't knew i needed a script for that although it sounds normally to have one.
    i'll try the script from the address you gave me and try to backup more than 1 database as i need around 2 of them. i use godaddy hosting and will look more into their cron...thank you again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    youre welcome, to use the scripts at dwalker.co.uk, you need to duplicate the run.php as many times as you need, i saved mine as run1, run2, run3 etc each time using different database settings, then set up cron jons to run each script.
    it is quite easy, any snags, give me a shout ;-)
    Live Long Laugh Often

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you encountered any problems? any database deleted or something like that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not yet, i've been using it for 3 years
    Live Long Laugh Often