SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MySQL Mac Install Newb

Does anyone know what MySQL 5 package to download on the client version of Mac OSX if you're running Leopard (10.5.3) on a Dual 2.7 GHz Power PC G5?

I'm currently reading the 3rd ed. of "Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL," by Kevin Yank, and upon trying to install the package, I have no idea of what I should be installing, given the vast variety of packages available. I'm thinking to avoid the x86, as this isn't an Intel Chip, but I don't see any options of the MySQL dev site for running Leopard on a Power PC, and I'm being a total coward when it comes to just saying F-it and downloading a package for an older OS like Tiger.

I'm just getting my start in programming after learning XHTML and CSS, and I figure PHP and MySQL are my next steps. Any light shed on this would be much appreciated.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this will sound odd, but since you're running on a dual G5, you'll need to use the Mac OS X 10.4 (PowerPC) package. You can use either the 32-bit or 64-bit package, but since Leopard is 64-bit native, you might as well take advantage of your dual processor. You can download these packages at: <http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html#macosx-dmg>.

Cheers,
    Lurch
    Webmaster, Virtual Barkeep Emeritus, and RatNet Editor...
    ...Lover of fine whisky, fast women, and faster airplanes...
    ...not necessarily in that order :P

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the tip. I had stalled on this for the last 2 months, so I'm looking forward to starting back up.