SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member EntrepreneurKing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

should i start from scratch

should i start from scratch when creating a classified site that i want to build just in case later on i want to sell it or should i get a pre-made script and then modify it and then sell that which one would be my safest bet??

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what you are planning for the site. If you have a lot of un-common aspects/design ideas, then you should make your own. If your site is going to be very similar to other site designs, i.e. a blog, then a template can be your best bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making a classified script in PHP would be pretty easy. If you have decent knowledge of PHP and MySQL, I say go for it. Nothing like the good feeling of making your own script.
    hoang harry tran [harrytran.com]
    get RICH quick by going to my site. rich in useless knowledge

recently redesigned the site, witness its greatness

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you have the skillset it would be easier to do it yourself. However, if you are reselling the stuff then you have to consider how usable it would be for the new owner.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harriouz View Post
    Making a classified script in PHP would be pretty easy. If you have decent knowledge of PHP and MySQL, I say go for it. Nothing like the good feeling of making your own script.
    Yep, I just hate rummaging through other people's code... It just doesn't feel like home... except sometimes it is reinventing the wheel... you can always look at other people's code and use what you think is beneficial to you.
    Please...Never describe anything to me using foo and bar.

SitePoint Member EntrepreneurKing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i was thinking of getting someone to code it for me from scratch because i dont know programming... when i was younger i got into when i was like 12-14 years old and i am not 24 i really never got into that much... i went through my stages of programming, gaming,hacking,phreaking,coders(graphic program presentations), and others but programing never really stuck with me even though id love to learn but right now i am really busy to get into it and i hear php is really easy as long as you have a little html background... but anyways i am looking to get a classified script created from scratch maybe something in php or ajax something that will help put together something awesome something i think can go big.... but just curious is it best to do from scratch just in case later on some bozo wants to try to sue me for using his script.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always better to start things from scratch. ONLY because you have a unique script where search engines won't every have the chance to give you a duplicate penalty.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your choice.

Think where am i going to be in 6 months time and think what are my plans for it for the future?

What if it grows huge will i want to sell up? Maybe i may need staff or offices.

Now Choice
    UK HOSTING 100% LTD Company
    www.hosting4europe.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EntrepreneurKing View Post
    should i start from scratch when creating a classified site that i want to build just in case later on i want to sell it or should i get a pre-made script and then modify it and then sell that which one would be my safest bet??
    If there is already a good product out there that will suit your needs go with that and spend the extra time you would have spent programming doing marketing. Good Luck
    Sell Templates? Try our Template Monster WebAPI absolutely free!
    See a live Template Shop Demo

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr350z2006 View Post
    It's always better to start things from scratch. ONLY because you have a unique script where search engines won't every have the chance to give you a duplicate penalty.
    Duplicate Penalty for a backend script?
    Sell Templates? Try our Template Monster WebAPI absolutely free!
    See a live Template Shop Demo