User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face How do you ask for help when you don't know what it's called

Hi
    I am a new site designer and have taken on a job that's a little above me I think.,
    I am older and have taught myself at home so am unfamiliar with tec toc So I don't know how to ask what I need to know.
    I need to build an aplication that is this.....pick the vehicle year--- what is available in that yr shows up (truck capopys) Pick -Dodge --- My choices become,--- Model, and bed type. The desired result is to get it to tell me what models we have to fit your truck.

example: I had a link for an example of what I need but can't post it aparently Centry truck caps The fit my truck page. is this ok?

My Question is . What is this type of app. called and what would be the best/quickist way to learn (what Book should I get?) Or??????
    If someone can point me in the right direction, I would be greatfull.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [Case statement or loop ]+ database

You must know your product specs, each product has its vehicle suitability/fit list. You must write and list everything, from there you figure out if you'll hard code the whole thing or make a database table depending of the client's inventory.

The pick model/make and year GUI is just an interface to call your script(s)

If client has less than a dozen products you could get away writing the whole thing in Javascript or AJAX otherwise you'll have to subcontract the task if you can't code to save face.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Know I know I am in trouble, don't know what RDBMS is. It's a fair sized sever company if that means anything .
    I have not worked with a database before. I have been up front about what my abilitys are with the client. But said I would check it out. Would you suggest a good place to start learning . pls. Thanks for the reply

Just to add I do have Dreamweaver cs3 to work with
    Last edited by SandrasDesign; Jun 12, 2008 at 16:48. Reason: add info

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a contract, you won't have time to learn, you must subcontract it (the pick model/year "module") and stick with the web pages design.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks I'm ordering the book. And, I will check out your blog, see if I can understand anything yet..lol Really, Thanks a lot
    Sandra

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just might do that if I can find someone, I'm not in anyone's circle, if you know what I mean. It's not on contract, and he knows I'm new at this, so he may just go with the site as is and I'll learn and add it later. Took us 18 months to convince the guy he realy needed to update the site he had form 2001 and it was really bad, half done.
    Either way I want to learn. Thanks for the input though, Just makes me feel like I'm wimping out if I don't do it. lol Sandra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SandrasDesign View Post
    It's not on contract, and he knows I'm new at this, so he may just go with the site as is and I'll learn and add it later.
    Oh well then it's not so bad , but before you start the tutorials and books, check the database (Access, MySQL, Oracle or MSSQL) and server (Windows, Unix or else) before learning PHP/MySQL, it's not the only language/RDBMS combo around, enterprises are big on Windows and Oracle

SitePoint Enthusiast trishacupra's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you find comes more naturally to you - designing how a site looks, or programming how a site works? Most people are stronger in one area over the other. I, for instance, am definitely a designer with creative ability, whereas a colleague of mine is positively a programmer with a good head for coding. He hates trying to figure out how to make a site look good, and I hate complicated coding. The solution is we outsource our weaknesses to each other.

The reason I ask is because if you are a natural designer rather than a natural developer, I would stick to improving your design skills and outsource the programming. But if you enjoying working with code, then by all means get out the textbooks and start learning new programming languages in depth.
    Trisha Cupra, Web Design Watchdog
    Protecting website owners from the most painful online mistakes

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just might do that if I can find someone, I'm not in anyone's circle, if you know what I mean.
    I don't know the ins and outs of Sitepoint marketing, but I imagine you could advertise for someone to do your database coding in Marketplace. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tricha
    Thanks for that. It's hard not to get to wraped up in trying to know everything. I am an artist, (sculptur, but I can no longer do that) and a photographer. So I'd have to say design. lol I love it, still, I'm new and self taught, so I'm going to explore the outsource option for programing, and learn that at a slower pace maybe Thanks again for the input. Sandra

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea to check out. Thanks. I got the books, but not sure I can learn it fast enough for this job.
    Thanks, Sandra

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandra dear, with all due respect, you've bit off a fair bit more than you can chew.

Most of us can tell you're quite new at this (stating that you have Dreamweaver - because Dreamweaver doesn't have the needed requirements built-in, to build the application you're talking about), so my only advice is: look around the sitepoint marketplace and find a programmer, or you can visit lots of other places you can contract one.

And no, you can't learn it fast enough for this job. Web Development / Programming and Professional Web Design are full-on professions. It takes at least 6 months to get around the necessary basics. Let alone building databases and server-side scripting.

P.S. Just a word of advice: before you offer your services to anyone, I think it's best that you sit back and learn a bit more first. Owning a copy of Dreamweaver does not mean you can already offer web-based design services. That's just like saying that once you've bought a stethoscope, you can already call yourself a doctor.
    Last edited by XLCowBoy; Jun 16, 2008 at 10:16.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you .....I think

Actually, I have taken two html, courses, a web design, a basic javascript courses, , I have built and maintained my own e-commers photography web site for two years.
    Everything I have learned about computers period, I have taught myself though online courses through our city collage and tutorials. I was one of those in school when software wasn't a word yet.
    The downside to this method of learning is you do not learn to converse with people in technical terms. You don't Have the opportunity to brainstorm with like minded people on what works and what doesn't, or new ideas . So you tend to learn what you need as you need it. I have not had need run a data based site until now.

My site is coded from scratch, my design, not wyswyg, or tenplated. I have been trying to learn how to do it the right way from the bottom up. And used a cheap but good editor to do it. I got DW a yr in , and am now learning DWCS3 still am getting use to the fact that it dose so much for you.....

The stethoscope crack was a little cheap. You should learn a little more of a person before you speak down to them. Not so professional. Studio Gecko

I have not promised anything I can't deliver. The request for the database app came after the fact, and the client is aware that I may not be able to produce it at this time. But I would look into it.
    I was however looking to find a little direction at site point. I am prepared and able to learn this, and was hoping to have a place to ask a question or two along the way. Their was a couple of people that offered help. That will be appreciated

But Thanks for your time
    Sandra

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again asprookie
    I have two questions if you have the time. I have had no reply on which way Grant wants to go on the app.
    One of the things I am having difficulty with is what to charge ppl. I can't charge by the hr. realisticly, because I don't know how long is reasonable. I don't want to over charge someone. My deal is, I do it a little cheaper, because I'm learning and it will take me longer to do.
    On the other hand I tend to get to picky and I won't send something out I'm not feeling good about. I don't want to make 2 bucks an hr either. lol
    Do you know of someone that would give me a price window on out sourcing this job. I want to learn, but I prefere design so I need a reliable coader that would take a job once and awhile. Or, ya never know.
    I will be asking watch dog as well. It would be med sm.
    I don't know if you are able to see my post to xl cowboy, but I do have some experiance. html, dhtml, css. a little javaScript. web design courses and an active web site of my own.
    Thanks for your time
    Sandra
    Last edited by SandrasDesign; Jun 21, 2008 at 18:12.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trish
    Do you know anyone that would do this job. if my client decides he wants it? and aprox what someone charges for that. It is med sm. job A canopy compay (manufacture) just the app. The rest of the site is well on its way and looking not bad I think, I'm not realy sure we are allowed to ask these things within this forum.
    What you said the other day made sence. I like to know how to coad and I do enjoy it. I don't like the wyswyg much. If it breaks, I want to know how to fix it.
    But,....The more I do this the more I am haveing fun with the design end and would rather spend my time on that.
    I learned to web design with just a simple authering program, and some online collage courses, html dhtml tut. css. web design, javascript. (not so good at) I now have Photoshop (we have a photography site) and DWCS3 now and am dug in learning all that..as well. whoolee. lots to learn. I'm doin ok though.
    Just looking for some options (like your site by the way)
    Sandra

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stethoscope crack was a little cheap. You should learn a little more of a person before you speak down to them. Not so professional.
    I'll have to extend my apologies for offending you and "shooting from the hip", but I would still stick with my Dreamweaver comment - it was not intended for you particularly, but is actually a comment most people here are aware of.

In fact, here it is:

Far too many people pick up DreamWeaver off the shelf, select a template, build something akin to a PowerPoint presentation, then suddenly believe they can offer a professional service at peanut prices, which in turn, lowers the level of respect and public perception of work that the true professionals are due and do.

So... on a professional and personal level, a "I've got DW, now I can do websites!"-sort of person ranks up there with my pet peeves.

Again, I would have to apologize for not learning a bit more about yourself. My mistake.

Anyhow, regarding outsourcing (yes, we can read your posts): I would have to suggest that you have a look at the marketplace section of Sitepoint. There are a number of programmers who offer their services - you would just have to see which one your prefer.

Re: Regarding learning - you're in the right forum, but if you really want to get "down and dirty", I would have to suggest that you purchase Sitepoint's books. The CSS, PHP, and Javascript ones are particularly thorough and impressive, and are written well enough so that you don't end up falling asleep halfway through.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Apology accepted, On that note I feel I have got to tell you that... The fellow that was hired as the sales manager at this place I'm doing the site for, got the job by telling the owner that if he were to buy him the DWCS3 software, he could/would build him a web site. I had a laugh when I heard this. I knew he had not used DW before. A week later I was approached.....he has since lost his job. I do get it.. That's why I still refer to myself as a beginner. I am

So Onward I have just purchased the css book last month and the php pdf a week ago. Yes they are well written. I also have principles of beautiful web design. I'm not through them yet, getting there.
    Thanks' I will check out the reference for out sourcing for this if the client wants it, that's a load off.

I'll get the rest of the site done, do some reading and go from there. It's good to have a place to go when your stuck. Cause....... If I keep talking to myself, my dogs are going to leave home.

Checked out your beta site. Nice pages. I like you taste.

You'll be hearing from me
    Sandra

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The downside to this method of learning is you do not learn to converse with people in technical terms. You don't Have the opportunity to brainstorm with like minded people on what works and what doesn't, or new ideas .
    You're in the right place, Sandra. By and large, people will not talk down to you in here, and they'll come storming to your assistance when you run into a problem. My level of expertise and knowledge is probably equivalent to yours, and the first computer program I ran was in FORTRAN, done on stacks of punch cards. The first computer I used ran a Xerox CP/M system. There are others in here with the same age and experience level (although, to both of our benefit, there are a heck of a lot of extremely knowledgeable people willing to get their hands dirty for your and my benefit).

Come on in, throw ideas around, ask "stupid" questions. You're more than welcome to be part of the crowd. And love your dogs--they aren't much use in helping you code, but they are wonderful for when you hit a snag and need a furry shoulder to lean on.