SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Webpage Music

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Webpage Music

I'm not sure if this is a Flash/HTML/Cookies/Sessions question. But I am adding background music to a web page (as requested by a client), but the music can't stop when the page is changed or reloaded. I have seen this done on a site before and was wondering how it works. Is this a frames thing? Or is there a more elegant web-friendly way of doing it?

Thanks.
    For the phrase "Bethesda home architect", my clients
    websites occupy 6 of the first 8 results
    on the 1st page of Google. My Secret SEO Strategy Revealed

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frames or popup.

Better option for your users, no music.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well, if the client demands music (esp for a band site) music can be fine, so more importantly for the users, make a big, obvious TURN THIS CRAP OFF button : )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must agree with Stomme poes on this one, make it very easy to turn off...

If I can't find an off-button within a second I normally leave the site within two secons...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you logic earth for answering the question. The rest of you are not helping. Read my post more carefully: "(as requested by a client)".

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by optl View Post
    Read my post more carefully: "(as requested by a client)".
    This is an example where the designer has to guide the client into understanding a fundamental concept: visitors don't want intrusive music or sounds. If the client insists on a soundtrack, you should try your level best to convince him to give the user control--not just an "off" button, but an "on" button to allow them to begin the music stream if they choose. Much better than jamming a soundtrack on them without their knowledge or consent and make them start scrambling for an off button--or the big red X.

I don't know who your client is or what the site is for, but if it's any sort of non-personal site, he needs to understand that he will lose far more traffic than he will gain by subjecting his visitors to forcible music.

But, if he insists, code the site and walk away...just walk away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact is that some people like music on websites and some don't. Younger tech-savy people hate sites that play music (like myself). But old, not tech-savy, people think its amazing when a webpage plays music, like a miracle or something. It all depends to who you are marketing to.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely want to have an off button! Its cool the first time you log on the site but if you expect repeat visitors, it could get a bit nerve racking to come back hearing the same music over and over.

Here a simple solution I used in my site. Visit this guys site ericzhang dotcom/mp3.php

Its a really simple flash play pause stop button.

Hope it helps
    pickurstyle.com/forum

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But old, not tech-savy, people think its amazing when a webpage plays music, like a miracle or something. It all depends to who you are marketing to.
    Please don't take this personally, but the arrogance implied in that statement is breathtaking. I'm 48 and not all that tech-savvy (so why am I in Sitepoint ?) and I don't think you meant it the way you said it. But you should understand that there are 80-year old grannies out there who can put down their knitting and whip out a site better than you and I could combined. The days of people being astonished at sites having sound, animated graphics, whatever, are pretty much done, even among the oldsters out there. There are exceptions, but unless you're designing for a specific niche market, they are essentially irrelevant.

like a miracle or something
    I almost spit my teeth out, you whippersnapper. Git off my lawn!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Opti,
    The client requested music. Logic earth is the one who said remove the music. Having an off button for those like me who go into fits of rage when something invades my music player while web surfing is simply A Good Idea. Let the client have his/her music. Let the client keep customers by having an off button. That's all I meant : )

As for the answer, I didn't think of it at the time but if frames are one solution then surely server-side includes for "reloading" the page (well, part of it) should do the trick, without using hard-for-some-to-navigate frames. The music could maybe be loaded with the head, which generally doesn't change from page to page (well, unless you're changing meta tags... so in that case, some other element that just stays on the page the whole session).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Max View Post
    Please don't take this personally, but the arrogance implied in that statement is breathtaking. I'm 48 and not all that tech-savvy (so why am I in Sitepoint ?) and I don't think you meant it the way you said it. But you should understand that there are 80-year old grannies out there who can put down their knitting and whip out a site better than you and I could combined. The days of people being astonished at sites having sound, animated graphics, whatever, are pretty much done, even among the oldsters out there. There are exceptions, but unless you're designing for a specific niche market, they are essentially irrelevant.

I almost spit my teeth out, you whippersnapper. Git off my lawn!
    You are definitely wrong about people being astonished by music. Lots of older people still think its a special trick. And if you are posting on Sitepoint, most people would consider you tech-savvy whether you are or not. Many older people do not use computers, I know many of them. Most people are still impressed with ****** animations. Maybe not among your select oldster, sitepoint posting friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are definitely wrong about people being astonished by music. Lots of older people still think its a special trick. And if you are posting on Sitepoint, most people would consider you tech-savvy whether you are or not. Many older people do not use computers, I know many of them. Most people are still impressed with ****** animations. Maybe not among your select oldster, sitepoint posting friends.
    There is truth in this, I know some oldies that try to keep up with the times.
    Smoke Lounge | Hookah Store and Community
    Shisha Tobacco
    SitePoint Users get 5% off use promo code s1t35p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's how I have done it in frames. The top frame is for the page with your music coding in it. That frame will be invisible. The bottom frame is where your normal content pages are displayed.

Code:
    <frameset rows="0,*">
    <frame name="audioframe" src="pagewithaudiocodeinit.html" />
    <frame name="display" src="pagewithyourcontentinit.html" />
    </frameset>

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing so would of course be a usability disaster.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, point taken about old folks spitting their dentures out in amazement at Sounds and Movin' Pichurs on the computer thingamabob, but I just have to note that plenty of oldsters are technically savvy enough to handle such wowie zowie thingies.

And as far as understanding concepts and being able to replicate, there's not a tremendous difference between old and young, in my experience. Some, certainly, but not as much as one might think. Most youngsters (kids, teens, twentysomethings) have grown up with computers, Internet access, Web sites, Nintendo, Playstation, and so forth, so the gee-wow factor is long gone, but as a group, not a lot more of them can actually create a site or code a game program (even handle a terrain generator) or whatever than the "old" folks.

No worries here, just don't let creeping ageism influence your design choices.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't do it in frames, frames in itself is a little messy (just my opinion).

I'd prefer to use a main table page with the body/content-section as an iframe, that way you can have the music on the table page and have it neat. But I must agree with one opinion, the needing to show a play and pause/stop button. Ask your client about the idea.