SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone upgraded to AVG 8.0?

Hey guys, been using free AVG for probably 5+ years now without any issues and have been recommending it to anyone who asks (or computers I fix) as it is pretty light and doesn't intrude much on your system.

I've been getting prompts to upgrade from 7.5 to 8.0. Anyone tried the latest version yet? I am hearing that it's bloated and hogs up your system. If so, looks like will have to switch over to something like avast or antivir.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought it and I admit, I have had problems with slower internet since then. I didn't correlate it until I saw your post. I'm kind of mad now since I purchased it for 3 comptuers in my home. This is really upsetting.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always recommend Clamwin. Clamwin is a free open source virus scanner that is very powerful. The only drawback is that it doesn't do active virus checking, which means that you must schedule a time to do a scan or scan new files that you think might contain virus, but this also means that it doesn't slow down your system. This "drawback" has never bothered me because it leads to a less obtrusive program and active virus checking is only really necessary if you are a reckless internet user...
    Stair Lifts & Residential Dumbwaiters, source of health news

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the AVG 8 free version and it seems a little bloated (compared to the last) but no real troubles to report.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found something a little odd with AVG 8 (at least this was the case last weekend). If you download from AVG directly (rather than using Download.com) then during installation you are able to deselect the 'feature' of Search Shield which checks each website for malware after searching on Google/Yahoo/Live/etc. This slows down your browsing experience and is annoying.

I know a lot of people that have complained about this 'feature', and it seems that AVG listened and have made it optional which is great.

Other than that I have found version 8 to be great, simple to use and understand and I still recommend it to friends and family.

-Tim

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know if you can remove this feature if you did download it from download.com (which I did)?? My internet connetion has been horrible since downloading this and I'd sure like to improve it. Since I already paid $60 for buying AVG 8, I am not going to spend money on another virus product. I use my computer for work so need speed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went in to AVG and disabled the web shield - but now I have a big red exclamation point so apparently, it doesn't like being disabled ...... It appears I'm still covered in all other aspects when I open the program.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the opinions! I'll give it a try tonight after work and test it out. I'll just be getting the FREE version so it probably won't be as full featured as the pay version so maybe will avoid some of the "bloated features". I have also heard it might have something to do with the email and link scanner that might slow the system down. Taken from another forum about recommending NOT to install the linkscanner:

How to install AVG without LinkScanner

If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed as follows:

* Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our website.
    * Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch. One way to achieve this is to:
    o save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\
    o open menu Start -> Run
    o type
    c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch
    * The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed without the LinkScanner component.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norton Corperate For The Win1one!eleventyone!11
    =============================
    Check out our newest FREE work at
    home resource at http://www.BestClericalJobs.com
    =============================

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was describing the free version above.

I downloaded AVG 8 Free last week from Download.com and was annoyed with the SearchScanner. I turned it off, but had the red exclamation mark described by techie tina. I have been at my parents for the last few days, and being the family geekin residence I upgraded their antivirus (they bought Norton with their laptop so that was never going to stay). So I downloaded AVG 8 Free, but this time directly from Grisoft. That is how I noticed the difference.

With the version downloaded directly from Grisoft, you can opt to not install the SearchScanner in the first place, and so it doens't show up in the AVG Control Panel, and does not show an exclamation mark in the system tray. Perfect.

I then went back and downloaded it from Grisoft directly onto my laptop, uninstalled the Download.com version and installed the new version. All worked as expected with no SearchScanner and no red exclamation point in the system tray.

- Just thought I should explain my situation - hopefully the direct download from Grisoft is the current version and Download.com was just a little slow to update its severs.

-Tim

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't upgraded yet, but I'm planning on it before the end of the month when I conduct my normal upgrade cycle.

Oh, and AlphaDesigner, I've found Norton to be anything but good. Your mileage may vary of course, but I know a LOT of people who thought they were protected with Norton only to find that a quick scan by AVG or Avast obliterated (with nukes, from orbit, repeatedly for good measure I might add) a lot of garbage that Norton let through undetected.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running AVG Internet Security 8.0 and haven't had any problems at all. The Link Scanner doesn't slow surfing down for me, at least it's not noticable.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post

Oh, and AlphaDesigner, I've found Norton to be anything but good.
    I might be mistaken, but I think AlphaDesigner forgot to close the sarcasm tag, at least I hope so because Norton stopped being a practical choice for virus protection several years ago.

Their internet security suite was never anything but bloat.
    Stair Lifts & Residential Dumbwaiters, source of health news

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tried to install the free version onto two of my computers. On one it wouldn't install because they no longer support the operating system. On the other it kept popping up messages every 15 minutes or so during the install about conflicts with the other security software on the computer. I finally gave up and cancelled it about an hour or so into the install.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so i installed the free version tonight on my laptop, downloaded straight off the avg site. i didn't install that toolbar option though.

so far so good. haven't noticed any slowdown yet...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded & installed it, but for whatever reason I couldn't connect to the update server. I reinstalled 7 because I didn't feel like dealing with the problem.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only grumble with AVG 8 is the fact that's its trying to do a little to much, its even trying to take over your browser by putting a big green tick next to safe websites. But you can turn that off.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0. I like it because it also provides protection against spyware.
    Last edited by Varelse; Aug 20, 2008 at 09:46.